Official ELIMINATE Thread - 4 Player Online FPS [Will be FREE] [APPROVED]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mjmoco, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

TouchArcade asks, will you download ELIMINATE?

1. Yes

466 vote(s)
    91.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Don't know yet

22 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    With the way iPhone app visibility and exposure is set up, I'm really curious what the ROI is for big companies that spend a lot on advertising. I mean...what are they actually spending money on that Indie devs can't do as well, albeit on a smaller scale?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Our job is giving things the boost they need to either get featured or get on to the top charts. Once they're there, their icons are in front of the eyes of tons more people than all the review sites put together. It seems like your average App Store user uses the App Store on their device to impulse buy new stuff. The best way to view apps on your phone is either through the short featured list or on the top 50. That's why so often you see games go from being released, getting on TA, maybe getting somewhere on the charts, then getting to the top 25 nearly overnight.

All of the games you listed either have been great games in the case of Spider or Mr. Aaaah, or have wide appeal like the Unicorn horn shooting bear in Battle Bears.

People who are big in to Halo, COD4, and other death match games are going to see that they can play a somewhat similar (although toned down a bit obviously) experience on their phone and Eliminate is just going to explode.

3. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    After re-watching the videos and a few things, I might actually get this game. I would just like to know: How long does a single bar of energy last from full to empty?

4. equinox

equinox Member

May 4, 2009
    question

will this have bluetooth multiplayer?
    and will you be able to play with a friend vs. bots?

5. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i understand, but im just saying :p

with games like the so called "halo" FPS Nova coming out soon, and ravensword, the lame-named but still great Eliminate will have alot of competition. i think ngmoco should learn how to market their games better when they first come out.

6. han0007

han0007 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    First Officer Qantas.
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hope this has Bluetooth multiplayer so when we aren't at home connected to wifi we can still play with mates. Also hope there's bots because only few people have iPod touches and iPhones. They all have those nanos and shuffles.

7. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Reading that this will only be four player multiplayer was a HUGE disappointment to me. I was expecting somewhere around 10-player multiplayer in one server.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get this anymore. Maybe I'll just wait for the MC:Sandstorm multiplayer. It all depends if this game is executed right.

At least half a year in development and only four-player multiplayer? Dino-smash Online has at least 16 player multiplayer! :(

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I like the variety in weapons. Shaping up to be a great game! :D

9. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I really think that 4-Player is all this game needed to be.
    I don't have any qualms.

10. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    I'm actually ok with the rest of it, even energy. For the most part anyways.

Four players is really a downer though, you would think ngmoco would have been able to incorporate at least 5 or 6 players, and hopefully they will later. Oh well, i'm still looking forward to it :)

I do have two questions: Does practice mode drain energy and/or earn credits (Stupid question, but i had to ask) and how many matches does the daily energy limit allow?

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Yeah, iMech had 8 players and that turned out just dandy.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    #72 Azrael, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Hey, Imech is great! You don't have to trash the game just to make eliminate look good, fanboys are really turning me off :(

13. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    #73 The Game Reaper, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    It is great, but I wish it didn't have so much lag.

I agree that 2v2 is a shame, would have loved to see 3v3.

14. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The lag is the point really, especially over 3g networks. Whilst the theoretical speed is similar to broadband, in practice its pretty unreliable and can vary a lot, especially whilst on the go. In that way it quite similar to dial up. Combine that with the iphone at either end having to render each frame (at a decent framerate), send loads of data to the server and then receive more back, then incorporate that into the game. Consider these points and that ngmoco wants the game to be playable on older iPhones and you can see the reason for the 4 player limit.

Also, it takes a lot of work to properly optimise performance in an online game like this. Take a look at this page on wikipedia about how Quake 3 (see the section on networking) managed its network play back in the day. Its pretty complicated for something we take for granted on a modern console fps, but on mobile, with 3g connections, optimisations will be key to minimise lag. If 4 players is what it takes to do that right now, then so be it. I'd rather it played well, at a decent framerate with only 4 players than if it had 8 players, but lagged like Real Football 2010!

And as some have pointed out, 1 of the best ever multiplayer fps games is Goldeneye and that only had 4 players. As long as the map designs are set up for 4 players in terms of size and layout, then it could work very well.

15. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Nice insight dude!

16. R.Antonelli

R.Antonelli Member

May 25, 2009
    Interesting

Anyone else find it interesting that on the new 'Suits" section of the eliminate website one suit is named "Exoquatic" with a description reading- "Environmentally Sealed Armor-Improved survivability and mobility under water."

17. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    There are under water parts in some levels, yes.

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yah, there was a bit of that underwater gameplay featured in one of their various trailers.

19. R.Antonelli

R.Antonelli Member

May 25, 2009
    Lol

Oh ok I must have completely missed that. Thanks for clarifying. I'm excited :)

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

When we saw the game at WWDC back when it was... um, Livefire or Killtest? Anyway, it seemed like they were planning some kind of different armor suit system that seemed very similar to Tribes if any of you guys are old enough to remember that game.

It seems like they made a ton of changes since then, but originally they gave examples like armor that makes you jump farther or swim faster. No idea how this all works in to the credit and energy system now though.