Official ELIMINATE Thread - 4 Player Online FPS [Will be FREE] [APPROVED]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mjmoco, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

TouchArcade asks, will you download ELIMINATE?

1. Yes

466 vote(s)
    91.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Don't know yet

22 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. mjmoco

mjmoco Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    San Francisco
    I am actively monitoring the this thread and am happy to answer questions when I can. The most frequently asked questions (price and release date) are things we're not ready to talk about.

--MJ

2. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Well, LBG, you won't have to worry about this at all. Because of the Matchmaking system NgMoco put into this game, you won't be pared with a bad partner unless you are bad yourself.

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Okay mj, can you answer why only four players may play together, while the indie developers of iMech managed to have what, 8 I think, with average servers?

Sending push notifications to a friend isn't as necessary as I thought it would be if you're against two other people at most.

4. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Here *raises hand* :)

One word... 'Goldeneye'!!! I damn near wore out that N64 cart with some pretty intense 4-Player sessions :)

On topic, although I am looking forward to 'Nova' more, I still think this one hasn't turned out too badly (well, from what I can tell without playing it).

5. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    I am quite excited for this title. Dont listen to the negative comments. If these guys who are talking trash had any talent at all, maybe they could make the game they are expecting. I really dont see the iphone being able to handle large numbers of players that everyone was expecting. Remember guys, we are not playing on the PS3 or an Xbox 360, it is the smallest gaming device out right now. So to expect 16 or more player deathmatchs is nothing less than absurd. I dont think the processor can handle it. Keep it up NGmoco, you still have fans.

6. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I wasn't expecting 16 players, but at least 3vs3.

I don't see why people can't say something about a game, just because we can't make one =/

7. twentyone

twentyone Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Dude, no kidding. GoldenEye brings back good memories (rockets in 'The Stack' or genade launchers in 'The Temple')

Back on topic... I think the grappling hook is pretty sweet and adds an interesting twist to the gameplay. I'm pretty sure I saw in one of the videos that you can shoot the grappling hook at the top of a wall and hang from that position while shooting...of course it could have been the glue I was sniffing.

8. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    i do not understand why you guys think it is a good idea not too release the information on Eliminate and touchpets. release dates and pricing. Why after so many months could you guys not know this. It looks ready too me. Are you waiting on a Christmas release for the money.

9. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i agree with them,i think 4 players is not enough,it looks boring to me,i hope you can increase that,and maybe more modes,not just deathmatch

10. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    I didnt say anything about anyone not being able to talk about the game, I just told them to ignore all of the negative feedback. These guys have been working on this game for months, for who? For us, trying to make it as good as possible, and it seems like this month has been all about attack NGmoco. I for one understand a lot of the process' it takes to create a game, and dont particularly like hearing people complain about such petty things. Who cares how many people are in the game, if the maps are balanced, then it will be just as intense as a 3vs3 match. No offense intended.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were definitely both more than adequate with only 4 players... but achieving such greatness does not come easy. I'll be interested to see how this game turns out.

12. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    It depends on how large the server is

I think this game is losing hype now.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Something you guys really don't understand is that while the Touch Arcade forums are one of the largest iPhone gaming communities on the internet, whether or not there's hype on the forums is largely insignificant in the grand scheme of the App Store.

The only effect "losing hype" is going to have around here is not turning this thread in to a Minigore-like spam fest.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    What about Enviro Bear?

I think TA was solely responsible for the amount of extra attention it received.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

That was largely driven from the front page, and even after it got featured it peaked at what... #75 or so for a day? Hardly a massive success, even though I would have loved to see it at #1! We can give things a boost, but they need to have their own staying power once they've caught the eyes of Apple.

All I'm saying is, forum hype or no forum hype, I still think Eliminate is going to have a strong launch like all ngmoco games.

Big developers like ngmoco, Gameloft, EA, etc all have larger marketing budgets than most developers have for their entire project. ;)

16. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Ah. Yes, I forgot about the front page articles. It shows the sheer power of TA. :D

And most iPod owners have no clue about Eliminate or any upcoming games, so yes, forum hype probably doesn't affect much at all.

17. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ngmoco makes good games but they can't market for their lives lol!

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yep, it seems that the way it works (and this is all speculative based on observations) is that we find out about games either on their own through AppShopper, on the forums, or through an email from the developer. From there if it's cool, we post about it, games then either usually get a spike in sales or otherwise catch the attention of gamers/Apple and might wind up getting featured.

After that, you're on your own. Unfortunately in the case of Enviro-Bear the game didn't have the mass market appeal to have staying power on the top 100 after its initial boost in sales from the TA articles and featuring.

If they price it right, Eliminate is going to be nuts. If it works over 3G as well as they've lead us to believe, I think Eliminate is going to be a hit. The multiplayer FPS scene is so massive right now that if ngmoco can even catch a small slice of it, Eliminate is going to be huge... completely independent of forum hype. ;)

19. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    The average gamer will see a screenshot, and go, "Whoa, Halo!" and buy it instantly =P

This will be huge, no matter what. Hopefully it'll sell enough to encourge an increased playercount update, but that's wishful thinking on my part.

20. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#60 Will090, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    I think TA, STP, and sites of this nature have a large pull in the app store. Recently many games TA highlighted have gotten big like Spider, Mr. Aaaaah, and Battle Bears. I don't think these games would have moved up the charts if TA had never highlighted them. The only reason Enviro-Bear didn't work its way into the Top 25 like these other games is look at the scrrenshots. I love enviro-bear but the average person would see it and be like this looks terrible