Official Amazon Kindle book app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Zetaspawn, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008

SSquared, so I messed with this again over the weekend, and never did figure out how to get the Kindle App to read this book. But, if you want to read Diamonds in the Sky on your iphone/touch you can download the book using the eReader App. Just plug in that page linked above and download the eReader version of the file and you're good to go. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it a free book for the Kindle App though.

2. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    OK. Thanks. I'll give eReader a try. I started with Stanza, but after the Kindle app came out, I downloaded both eReader and Kindle to try and check them out.

3. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    Hmmm...chances are if I'm on my iPod I'm not reading :rolleyes:.

I prefer to just read actual books as opposed to an Ipod, PDA, or Kindle (which, wtf, way too expensive??).

4. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I am finding the Kindle app to be more than functional but I am wondering if there is a way for family members with more than one iphone to download a book to multiple iphones. My wife and I both have iphones and enjoy a number of the same books. I would hate to think I have to purchase a book twice. Pretty much a dealbreaker if that is true. Anyone know if there is a way around this?

5. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I was researching that myself and could not come up with a way to do it. Your amazon account is linked to your idevice and the only way to link another device would be to unregister .... I think that could create some problems.
    I hope I'm wrong but I sure couldn't find a way to do it.

6. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    Seems to me you should be able to link more than one device but maybe that is not the case. If anyone finds otherwise please let me know. Something like this would really cause me to think twice about purchasing an e-book from Amazon. I know there is potential for abuse if you allow more than one download but on the other hand one seems pretty restrictive. Maybe they will come up with some sort of compromise.

7. marlenedegrood

I understand. It's like with your iTunes account ..... you can authorize 5 computers. But I have not let this stop me from purchasing kindle books for my ipod touch. There is already a case in my household where two of us have purchased the same book .... it was worth it .... but most of the time we don't have the same tastes in books. If I really didn't want to purchase the same book as another in my household and the book was worth sharing, then I suppose we could swap idevices when reading.

8. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    huh? ive linked 2 iphones, its not a prob for me :confused:

9. marlenedegrood

And would you like to share how you did that??? Please :)

10. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    I too would like to know how you did it?

11. DrOther

DrOther Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have an iPod touch and iPhone both running kindle and sharing books - I just put in the same amazon.com account name and password when the app ran the first time . . .

All you have to do is log all the devices in on the same amazon account.

12. marlenedegrood

I understand that you can do that .... the problem that I fear is that the bookmarks are done through "whispersync" .... meaning that if I'm reading a book and bookmarking and then my other shared idevice is also syncing to the same bookmark ...... what a nightmare if 2 people are wanting to read and bookmark the same book .... therefore .... I don't think it works. I think the Amazon whispersync system is set up so that you can have 2 devices and maintain the same bookmark between them.

13. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    Just want to make sure I understand. If both devices are logged into the same account you are able to download the same book to them both separately without being charged twice? If so that works for me. The bookmark thing could be a pain but my wife and I can work around it.

14. gtcharlie

Dec 30, 2008
    I went ahead and bought a book from Amazon. Works easily to download to multiple devices as long as they are all linked to one account. Simply purchase the book, pick one of the devices to download to and enjoy. To download to another iphone or itouch go to your "media" page on amazon and you are given the ability to download to another device. Pretty simple. Only charged once so I am happy.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's unfortunate that the app doesn't handle newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Those are really the two things I am interested in from the Kindle service. :(

16. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    The Kindle app is now available worldwide!