Official Amazon Kindle book app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Zetaspawn, Mar 4, 2009.

1. cazure

cazure Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Haven't actually bought a book from the Kindle app yet--I'm considering buying a $1 book just to test the app out. (Yes, there's someone selling their book for a dollar...it's one of the Kindle Store top sellers, go figure.)

I wish that we could get magazines and newspapers, though. It'd be worth it to get the New Yorker, Newsweek, etc. As for the sample texts I've read, I hate the page flip...you have to swipe. I prefer Stanza's tap. I've read whole books in Stanza's reader, and they're really quite comfortable. That and the lack of integration for buying books (having to go into safari) is annoying enough that I might save my dollar and either stick with Stanza or with real books. Eh.

Smart move on Amazon's part, though; I hope they release some updates. Anyone know why magazines aren't available? I guess it might be an issue of negotiations...

2. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    #22 CandyNJ66, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    There are newspapers there and blogs even. Amazon daily is FREE. :)

Edit: oops! They are right..for iphone/ipod touch right now, magazines and newspapers/blogs do not work. Why..I have no idea. Hopefully soon!

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yes. Stanza can only do so much. Kindle books on the iPhone is awesome. They're also cheaper, too! What should my first book be...?

GUI could you a major overhaul, though.

4. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    There are even books available for 0 Dollar. These are ideal to find out that it's not possible to buy books for non-US citizens. :(

The eReader app is by far the most comfortable reader - way better than Stanza, Bookshelf and Kindle. It is highly configurable (slide or tap, fonts, colors, landscape fix, etc.) and supports full text search, adding annotations, automatic scrolling and integration of dictionaries.

5. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    I bought a book of comedic essays that I had had my eye on for a while. It is perfect for the iTouch. I can't see myself reading a whole novel on this tiny screen but this book is perfect for short spells of reading. It was very helpful in my long wait at the dentist yesterday.

If you just want to try it out, you can download a free sample of any book for the kindle.

6. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I am loving the new Kindle app. The best about it is the free sample from any book! I can usually tell if I like a book or not by reading the first chapter, and the free sample gives me that capability without going to a bookstore.

I think the Kindle app is better than an actual Kindle. I can read the iPhone at work and people will think I am just checking my emails. If I bring a Kindle to work... everybody in the world will know that I am not working. ;)

7. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Here's some FREE books you can download from Amazon in the Kindle format (and read using the app). Both these are taken from other sources (linked in case you want to see the original story):

NEW YORK, NY - March 4, 2009 - Random House, Inc. today unveiled the first five titles in its new Suvudu Free First Book Library. Designed to introduce new readers to popular and acclaimed science fiction and fantasy series, the Suvudu Free First Book Library allows readers to access free digital copies of the first book in each series.

His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik
    Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
    Settling Accounts: Return Engagement by Harry Turtledove
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Blood Engines by T.A. Pratt

New titles are scheduled to be added to the Suvudu Free First Book Library on a regular basis. Coming soon are Terry Brooks’s Magic Kingdom for Sale—Sold!, Elizabeth Moon’s Trading in Danger, and many more.

http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

To celebrate 60 years of pure reading pleasure, Harlequin has a gift for you. Choose from these free ebooks:

Once a Cowboy by Linda Warren
    Hide in Plain Sight by Marta Perry
    Kiss Me Deadly by Michele Hauf
    Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels
    Irresistible Forces by Brenda Jackson
    Baby Bonanza by Maureen Child
    Price of Passion by Susan Napier
    Homespun Bride by Jillian Hart

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKSXER68TQI1DS?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0

Other's I've seen mention of being free:
    Love Me, Still by Maya Banks
    The Whiskey Rebels: A Novel by David Liss

There's also:
    http://www.baen.com/library/
    with Kindle downloadable free books available.

This one was due to be up Feb 28th, but you could always check and see if any are still free:
    "Until February 28th, you can download the following titles for free, compliments of Random House. Keep an eye out, as many of these authors will have new books out in 2009.

Prague by Arthur Phillips
    Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston
    Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston
    Murder List by Julie Garwood
    The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst
    The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro
    Free-Range Chickens by Simon Rich
    A Dangerous Man by Charlie Huston"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK3O8N8S0GGP1DB

8. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    EthansDad, bless you for posting that list! Your effort is very much appreciated! :)

9. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    These are no longer Free but thank you anyway

10. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    You're welcome, sorry that other one is too late. On the other hand, I have found another book available for free in Kindle format:

"Diamonds in the Sky is a collection of astronomy-based science fiction stories edited by Mike Brotherton and funded under his National Science Foundation grant AST 05-07781. The purpose of the anthology is to provide stories with ample and accurate astronomy spanning a range of topics covered in introductory courses. Instructors in high school and college may find these stories useful, as some students may learn concepts more easily through story than from lecture. Fans of science fiction with good science should also enjoy these stories. Contributions include both original stories and reprints from some of the top science fiction writers working today. Special thanks to Jeremy Tolbert, Scott Humphries, and Nicole Wade for their efforts."

http://www.mikebrotherton.com/diamonds/?page_id=6

11. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Why don't you use the search function to see ALL free eBooks? :confused: Just choose "Kindle Store" for the search, let the search field empty and press "Go". Then select "Sort by Price: Low to High" and you will see all free eBooks. I thought this would be common knowledge.

12. odelay

odelay Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    #32 odelay, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
    Use Kindle for iPhone app outside the US!!! It works!!!

Anyone outside the US who wants to use Kindle for iPhone, now you can! I setup a US iTunes store account to get the app. Just google "US iTunes account". Note, I didn't need to find and apply a voucher code to do this like some sites suggest you need.

For getting Kindle to work, I just found this blog post and tried it out and it works! Check it out:

http://www.treotoday.net/2009/03/05/buy-kindle-books-iphone/

I'm pretty impressed with it so far, very simple and easy to use. I've bought and downloaded 3 books so far with vouchers.

13. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    iGewappnet, for what it's worth, I did use that function as well - and while it'll show you the books that are normally priced free - it doesn't show you the ones that are being given away for free as a special (those seem to still retain their spot in Amazon based on the 'normal' price).

14. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Ethansdad - How do I get the "Diamonds in the Sky" collection onto the iPhone Kindle app? I could not download from within Safari when using the touch. It said Safari did not know the file tpye. Do I need to use some other program to download onto my PC and then file transfer it over to the touch?

Thanks.

15. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Ssquared, yeah I noticed that last night myself. When I posted that link yesterday, I was on my PC at work (where I don't have access to my iTouch) - when I got home and tried downloading it from Safari I got the same message as you.

There seem to be directions for how to do it if you own a Kindle (something about downloading to your PC, then copying it into your Kindle when it's connected) but I'm not sure how that would work in reality with the Kindle App. I'll try to mess with it myself this weekend and see if I can figure it out - I'll report back if I come up with a solution.

16. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I don't understand reviews such as appvee's on youtube that put down the Kindle app saying that Stanza is much better and Kindle's a pain to upload a book because you have to go to Amazons website to make the purchase .... big deal. And unless I'm missing something the bookmarking in Stanza only bookmarks the beginning of the chapter .... not the page you're on .... please tell me if I'm wrong about that.

I'm really liking the Kindle app because there's just about every imaginable book for it, most are $9.99 and it's quick to wireless upload to the iPod Touch.

I will give Stanza credit for being able to change the background and font colors .... I hope that the Kindle app does that in a future update. For now all you can do is change the font size.

I downloaded several samples and bought 1 book, the process was very quick and painless.

17. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks Ethansdad. Let us know what you find out. Thanks for that link.

18. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

For a much better way to search Amazon's Kindle book library, especially if you're looking for lower priced books (be sure to deselect books in public domain). I put in a price search range of $0 to $3.99 and found lot's of great books within the category I was searching. Go here:
    http://www.jungle-search.com/US/kindle.php

19. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I've tried it out a bit, and I am very satisfied with it. The book selection is very good (although they are lacking some important classics, like the Lord of the Ring trilogy, 2001 and its sequels), and many great classics are available (All seven Narnia books, Stephen King's The Stand, many of Michael Crichton's books, including Jurassic Park 1 and 2, Prey, and Disclosure).

I checked out some of the previews of the books, and they are more than generous in letting you try before you buy. I was actually aloud to read quite far into The Stand (checked it against my hardcover version, and it is 49 pages into it).

The prices are quite good too. Most books are $10, and many are less. The Stand is only $8, which is great for a book that is about 1,500 pages.

20. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Thank you! The link is awesome! :)