Official Amazon Kindle book app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Zetaspawn, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #1 Zetaspawn, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2009
    [​IMG][App Store Link, Free]

Its out now and is available in the app store Now that's a smart move on their part. I'm on my iPhone so I can't provide a link but I think that this is a smart move for them. If you can't beat em join em.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Not only smart in getting iPhone users to buy from their ebook site (diverting buyers away from eReader.com, merged into Stanza), but also as a way to upsell to their Kindle reader. Maybe they hope that users will start to love the ebook format, but get upset at the iPhone's battery life and look to buy their device.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #3 squarezero, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    I just go it and downloaded my first book. So far it's no Classics (as far as UI) but it's not bad at all. The screen is certainly comfortable for reading, at least in normal conditions. (I have yet to see a Kindle in the flesh, so to speak, so I can't compare the iPhone to e-paper technology). I have to say that the idea of getting at this content (most recent releases) without having to 1) spent $300+ and 2) carry around another device seems great.

As far as battery life is concerned, considering how little CPU power the application needs, I bet that you can read for hour and hours on the iPhone.

4. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I just downloaded it. This is awesome. I used Stanza but Kindle has so many more books available and cheaper in most cases. I can see this app jumping up to the top very fast.

5. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    It's a shame this app is available in the US store only. But even if you have an US store account, it is not possible to buy eBooks with a non-US Amazon account.

6. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    This just sucks! Screw this I'll continue use Stanza instead.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    No wonder I couldn't find it!!! Such a stupid idea....

8. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    #8 nickels, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah, I meant to check out the iPhone version last night, but did not get around to it. Should be a good move for Amazon. I like reading on the iPod touch. My number 1 factor is that I can read in bed, with the lights off. You can't do that with the Kindle (no backlight).

I only recently got Stanza.

10. Khayman

Khayman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Soo can i import my ereader books to Kindle?
    I have a lot of books that ive read on my iphone trough ereader.

11. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Woot!!! I downloaded this and can't wait to use it! This is great news!

12. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    No, of course not. The Kindle reader is for eBooks for the Kindle bought at amazon.com ONLY.

13. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Brilliant move on Amazon's part, IMHO. Glad to see that Amazon realizes this will help Kindle sales and not hurt them. I think it's doubtful someone will say, "Well, I can read books on my iPhone's small screen, forget buying a Kindle.." but instead, they might say, "Wow, I've accumulated 20 Kindle books on my iPhone, maybe it's time I made the jump to a Kindle."

I know I'm probably years away from buying a Kindle myself, but if I can buy an e-book in Kindle form, I will probably be all over it so I know I'm building up a library for the future.

14. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    why do i need this? i get stanza + drinkmalk for free

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The Kindle store has now over 200,000 titles, many of which are not legally available elsewhere (this is especially true for recent major-publisher titles). If you want to read legal versions of any of those books on your iPhone, you need this App.

16. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Hell yes. Thank goodness Amazon has the sense to do this. VERY smart move.

17. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    This is historic.

I sold my Kindle for $400 (what I paid for it) about 2 months ago before the Kindle 2 was announced. I don't plan to buy a new one. Now I can read my purchased Kindle books again and buy more Kindle books :D

I find the screen good enough to read.

18. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yup I downloaded it this morning and it's really neat. You can't order books directly from the app, but you can use Safari to order books and then when you load the app again, it automatically syncs up and finds it.

Not a ton of text on the page and haven't given anything an extended read, but it seems reasonable enough. I downloaded two book samples this morning to try it out. One was by Michael Chabon, and the other one by my wife! :eek:

19. CandyNJ66

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    What's your wife's name? I might check out her books :)

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Caridad Ferrer. It was kind of funny to see her book on my phone.

Anyway, I look forward to actually trying to read something on this. I used to be a voracious reader, but don't do much anymore. Perhaps this wouls spur me back into it.

If anyone tries any extended reading, please comment on battery life.