OF cheat scores vs Game center?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nekcik, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    It really takes the fun out of a lot of games as a lot of the appeal to endless games is seeing how you stack up against the competition and hackers take alot of that fun away.

2. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Get a twitter account, and publicly put the pressure on developers and their sycophantic followers to be honest about what's going on. What compounds the problem of leaderboard hacking is the abundance of borderline players using advance "review" copies of games (e.g. Bumpy Road, Velocispider, to name the two most recent of which I'm aware) to both practice up and, in some cases, learn how to cheat by other means.

It may not be the developers' fault when leaderboards get hacked, but they can be rightly blamed for other PR tacks that verge on game rigging, especially when ample evidence on twitter and other social networks points in that direction.

Since Apple refuses to comply, the only other option is to take this game to the developers.

3. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    i think it is possible as i hacked my doodle jump highscore to 250 million using ifile (as a joke with my friends) but i turned off score submissions on my score, so if i didnt do that i think i could of submitted it

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Man don't even attempt to do it as a joke, it's not funny!

To answer some peoples question, Yes it is possible to hack GameCenter. Though I don't know and don't want to know how, The one way apple could tackle this is to get YouTube and Google to remove all searches for Leaderboard Hacking from there servers.

5. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Two simple solutions for those bothered by obviously-jacked-up scores:

1. Stop caring. Seriously.

2. Hope that GameCenter is part of Apple's WWDC discussion tomorrow (Monday). I think we'd all agree that GC is fairly primitive and could use an update, and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to give developers the option to reset and/or modify the leaderboards for their games.

Of course, Apple is not real big on ceding control to others, so this might be more wishful thinking than anything else.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    going with #1...

best route, I guess...

I think the best thing we can really hope to do is get as many GC friends as we can, and hope that none of them are posting fake scores, and only compete against our GC friends... =o/

Triggy is right... the only way to stop it is to censor Google and YT searches... there's always going to be a way to hack leaderboards... ALWAYS. No matter what Apple decides to do, there's going to be someone, or a group of people, who will find a way around it, and post that up so anyone can use that work-around.

Crappy... I guess the only thing that would fix the leaderboard issue, is if ALL the devs made their own in-game leaderboards, for instance, like Phoenix... and monitored ALL submitted scores, doing a 'length of the submitted score's gameplay' check or something... which is probably even more wishful than hoping that Apple will come up with a solution to the GC leaderboard issue...

So for now... GC should be used to compete with friend's scores, and the achievements, I guess it's better than nothing. =o/

7. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

The thing is for a lot of developers this is our lively-hood, making games, and the false scores put a bad image on our games, people stop caring about leaderboards, which is one way developers use to get players to keep playing.