Universal Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (by Oddworld Inhabitants Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 27, 2014.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's fair enough. I just don't think getting ports of old games qualifies iOS to be the "best gaming platform ever" unless you are alergic to high quality games on other legendary platforms. I love iOS too, but c'mon.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a console wars discussion. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I don't subscribe to the opinion that iOS is the best platform ever, that was obviously meant as euphoric hyperbole. My point was just that Stranger's Wrath getting a mobile port is a fairly big deal.

3. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Lol Im sure that the whole "best gaming platform ever" wasnt supposed to be taken so literally :p

4. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Normally I would think so. But the way he phrased leads me to believe he meant it.

Eh, it doesn't really matter does it. :p

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

;)

That's enough off topic guys, let's get back to the game in question: Stranger's Wrath!

6. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Not impressed from the video about the touchcontrols.I still can`t imagine to play such a game with Touchscreen only.Lucky me i have a controller but it seems that it died yesterday,lol.But i want a new (better)one anyway...

And i agree,it`s a shame that TA"forgot"to mention this pearl on their frontpage with all the other crap arround...

7. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I knew there'd be a surprise release when I woke up. There was no way the Thanksgiving Gods would allow the week to be so weak. This is AWESOME! Especially because I thought this port was dead. Weeeeee!

8. rajulover

rajulover Member

Nov 27, 2014
    How does it run on 5s?Are the controls customizable,do the default ones work?

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The onscreen controls are actually okay. The game is not terribly twitchy, anyway, so the controls are less of an issue than you would think.

On an iPhone 5 the framerate seems to be locked at 30 FPS, which is not bad, either. Overall, the game looks and plays similar to the Vita version that came out a while back

10. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Man this runs amazing! The voices however, give me cancer.

11. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Hmm, I dunno. Some parts of the game I would definitely call twitchy. There are some annoying difficulty spikes in the game that might be very frustrating with touch.

12. Kahvinheitin

Kahvinheitin New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Is there gyro control option to really make those intuitive touch controls intuitive?

13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    This looks pretty good, will probably pick up since it has mfi support.

While they're porting old Xbox platformers I would kill to see Psychonauts.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #54 metalcasket, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    I did. Not because Stranger's Wrath is on iOS, but because Stranger's Wrath sits alongside games like XCOM, Bastion, BioShock, LIMBO, Leisure Suit Larry, Knights of the Old Republic, Banner Saga, Canabalt, The Longest Journey...and so on, and so forth. There's something for everyone, whether it's a massive AAA title or a rubbish ****ing freemium game and that's why I love this bloody platform. I didn't think I'd need to spell it out.

/discussion

EDIT: Oh, and all of that (above) on devices that either fit perfectly in my pocket, with no messy wires or connections or anything when I need them to be OR are compatible with controllers that provide a "real gaming experience" when I want one. I.****ing.Love.iOS.

15. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Yes it is!

16. BackupHero

BackupHero Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Jade City, BC, Canada
    I wish, but Microsoft and 343 just won't allow a proper Halo game (or port), on a non-Xbox/PC console. With games like Bioshock, GTA, and KOTOR being ported, I bet they can do Halo 1 or even 2. It's just that they don't want to.

17. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The trailer looks great! Very impressive visuals. Is the game metal enhanced for devices that can use metal?

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    And Monster Hunter. ;)

And yes, I also love iOS gaming. Despite the highest tier of prices, iOS gaming is still the most affordable platform when it comes to premium experiences.

19. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    WOW ##########what a statement

20. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    mannnnnn u are awesome #####