Universal Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (by Oddworld Inhabitants Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

** PLEASE NOTE: Oddworld Stranger's Wrath requires at least an iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad Mini or iPod Touch 5th gen.***

If does run fine on your iDevice as long as you play around with the Performance Settings:

[​IMG]

2. madmonstor

madmonstor Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Runs smoothly on 4s at slightly lower resolution than the iPhone 5. Game also allows players to adjust performance settings.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, i presumed it did just wanted to check

Shall be picking this up later for sure

Agree with Metalcasket, LOVE iOS gaming, get so many classics coming out, this was a great surprise. Time to free up space!

4. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    MFI controller support?

5. madmonstor

madmonstor Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, includes MFi support.

6. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    The coming soon is finally over....
    lol

7. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    We got a port of a 10 years old game. Best platform ever, yay!

In all seriousness, how are the controls? I really can't imagine not being too convoluted. Are you doing well in the game? I remember some annoying bosses requiring a lot of precision.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldnt call it a platform game. We've got a port of a very impressive game which came out on the X-Box (granted 10 years ago). To be able to have a game of this quality on a portable device all these years later is great (and at a cheap price)

Hope we get more like this

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #29 Vovin, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    I am going to buy that and write a port review for it, just need to pick up another iTunes gift card later today! My iTunes account is at $00.00 lol.

10. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    By platform I was referring to iOS (as a platform to play games), not the game itself.

Honestly, Stranger's Wratch is already out in most consoles out there, including the Vita (which is a portable device and a dead platform). Let's not pretend this is a super impressive feat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and I might get if touch controls work. Since Google Play has the two hours trial thing, I'll try there first. If I like the controls, I'll buy on iOS.

11. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Very good port indeed. Small typo in the Spanish translation though. The right button when in FPS mode says "DERACHA" instead of "DERECHA".

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah damn! Looks like christmas has to start early.

Im actually making excuses to buy more than one app this week. LOL.

13. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Wow, this looks neat, I never played the origin despite having a brick xbox. But hey, finally a consol style adventure game on my iPad. Reminds me of the classics on playstation like Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Tell me 'bout it. I just went a-spendin' on Steam and bought the Amplitude trio (Endless Space, Endless Legend and Dungeons of the Endless), and just a few days back I added Icewind Dale and Banner Saga (SO shortly before the drop) to my iOS backlog...

15. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Me too! The gameplay is just fantastic and the story is... GAaaaaaaaaaah! I'm buying it right now and I think I'll buy a Stratus XL to get rid of those icons. Can't wait to jump back into Stranger's world :)

And yes, best platform evaaar!

17. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I might get this after trying it out. The video doesn't really do much for me but it may be different if I can try it out. I loved Monster Hunters. Is this similar?

18. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Mobile platforms getting full ports of console games, even if they are old, is a pretty big deal in the heavily freemium current trend. This becomes even more impressive given that Stranger's Wrath is the kind of game that developers, reviewers and even users generally don't want ports of because of the controls.

And on a personal note, for some of us Stranger's Wrath holds a special place in our hearts. It is one of the most memorable games for me from an era which was already chock full of amazing console games.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think its impressive its out on iOS. Plus it'll help the 'image' some people have of iOS games being just freemium or simple throwaway games.

Classic games dont really age, gameplay still rules (Look at GTA or older games). I'm happy to have this on iOS just as i am Baldurs Gate.

Yeah i could play perhaps a better version on an X-Box or another device but to have these games with me at all times so i can play them whenever i want (wife watching tv, or me on a train, in a bar waiting) is amazing.

Hope this game does well so we get more and more.