Universal Oddwings Escape (by Small Giant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Hi AngryBirds5!

Thanks for the compliment! We highly appreciate it! :)

- Julius // Small Giant Games

2. Hey macplash! Thanks for the extensive feedback, sorry we only saw your post now. We are bringing new updates to the new build, which we (hopefully) will release in App Store next week. We cut down the wing recovery time by half and decreased some of the upgrade prices for the characters. We have a group of beta testers out of our current users at the moment, and we are taking also their feedback into account when doing updates and fixing bugs. We will also take your feedback into consideration when updating new build(s).

Unlimited energy or unlimited wings is an idea we could look into possibly with the team. Also working on the Android release, which will be out a little bit later. Hopefully soon! :D

Aino // Small Giant Games

3. Thanks!!! :D

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Got the email 5 hours ago that you were sending the BETA soon. Any ideas when :p ?

5. Maxscart

Maxscart Member

May 11, 2014
    I keep wondering...

Great game, pretty addictive and challeges keep it varied. Always something to work towards and the style is neat.

I do keep wondering what the best bird truly is, though. I managed to get Rocky but he is extremely unstable, making it hard to navigate and get money with, along with expensive upgrades. Thought he would be better when I got him.

The other candidate I would believe is a good option would be Freeda. Get farther, more stable, cheaper upgrades, and you can reliably get keys and coins. For the price of Rocky you can get 3 or 4 Heart upgrades.

Has anyone got insight into this? Couldn't find much online, sadly.

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Alex is the best bird, the boosts get you the furthest and she is faster than Frieda. Well that's my opinion anyways.

I can't control Rockie either he is too flimsy.

7. CanPcfstV3g

CanPcfstV3g Active Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I've been testing the beta version since last saturday. The upgrades that you buy with coins are a lot cheaper but sadly the perk updates still cost the same, which should be lowered aswell imo. The game also still stutters and freezes for half a second from time to time on my Ipad Air.

Finally managed to save up 110 keys with a lot of grinding (saved up 160K coins in the meantime) to level up, finding some more hidden keys around and upgraded Freeda's perk to level 4 which gave me 5 extra hearts to let me go deeper into the Arctic and unlock the last level (15). The next perk upgrade requires a whopping 170 keys btw ! :(

Got 3 stars on all Arctic levels, going to fully focus on The Desert now.

8. CanPcfstV3g

Apr 10, 2015
    #48 CanPcfstV3g, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    I can not call any bird "the best" in this game so far. Some birds are better for racing and some are better for exploring definitely.

I really want to test Alex btw but with the investment to Freeda, it will take forever for me to increase her perk to my Freeda's level atm. How far did u progress on the Arctic mate? On windy levels such as the Arctic or the Desert, i guess the perk of Alex might be really useful but i still think that Freeda might be slightly better than Alex, when it comes to exploring.

9. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I only need level 11,13,14 and 15 of the arctic to complete it.

The keys are way to expansive and they are to few in the endless levels, that's my only complaint with this game, but it's free to play either way you accept it or delete the game, that may sound harsh but it is what it is.

I will and try to complete the game though, because I love it and I have only 3 games on my device now.

10. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Here is a tip that worked for me. All my time has been spent on the endless getting keys. Save up 110 then buy rocket. Upgrade his energy and control first otherwise he is a pain. If you do that you will be set. I now have 230 extra keys. Btw this game rocks!

11. Maxscart

Maxscart Member

May 11, 2014
    #51 Maxscart, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    After some time...

I've had some time now to play Rocky a bit more. When I got him he was extremely rough, but once you get his turning up, he is extremely smooth. I can easily make 360s and U-turns in tight spaces. His recover is also pretty quick. The added speed essentially allows you to get to hearts quicker, and in currents you keep moving at a nice pace. The shields also greatly help in tough parts of levels. Have not tested Alex as was suggested (costs too many keys, especially after having invested in Rocky) but I doubt he is better.

For a while I was thinking the endless couldn't really be endless, since they seem to be crafted and not auto-generated. Turns out I was right. I managed to reach the end of the Desert after 11,285 meters traveled. The screen turned to just the background and I was left flying for a few seconds before the game automatically killed me. I still believe Freeda can be useful in getting farther, albeit slower, since I was not able to get to the end in any other level.

[​IMG]

There also seems to be a lack of keys after a certain distance, and this seems to happen in all maps. After around 5,000-7,000 (can't recall) I couldn't find any more keys.

Agreed! I originally got Ramses, but his ability wasn't the best. Restarted and I really didn't know if I would be able to get Rocky with free keys, but I saved up. It's a struggle to get 110 keys with just Frankie, you literally have to search every inch before the distance where you eventually fall. Kudos to the developers for making this possible, way better than forcing them down our throats. Great incentive to support you guys :D

12. CanPcfstV3g

Apr 10, 2015
    #52 CanPcfstV3g, May 26, 2015
    11,285 on The Desert wow! Well done! I can hardly go further than 3200 with Freeda even when she is fully upgraded and has 5 extra hearts ( upgraded her perk to level 4)

I am making the most out of every heart bar btw, even using the countdown timer when it depletes to reach another heart pickup but i guess i was wrong about Freeda being the best explorer. This is sad news for me because i invested a lot of keys on her perk ability and it will take a long time for me to save up enough keys to buy Rocky and upgrade his special ability to Freeda's level. (350 keys i think)

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I tried Rockie again and upgraded him a bit and now he controls much better, so I would say Rockie for the endless levels and Alex for the missions.

14. Hi triggywiggy!

We sent out the beta invites during the weekend. Please check your spam folder to make sure that message hasn't gone there.

If you still can't find the message, send an email to [email protected] and explain the situation and we'll resend the invite. :)

Hi Maxscart!

Thanks for the compliments!

There really isn't one best character in the game. All of them are suited for different types of levels and situations. So try out different characters on different levels, and see what suits you the best. :)

Hi CanPcfstV3g!

Thanks a lot for signing up to the beta and your extensive feedback! We highly appreciate it!

We're looking into balancing the game and fine tuning it, and the stuttering problem as well.

I admire your skill and it's great that you got 3 stars on all levels in Arctic! I wish you the best of luck for Desert! :)

Hi ROGER-NL!

Thanks a lot for your support of Oddwings Escape!

We're looking into balancing the game and fine tuning the keys.

Hi extreme472000!

Thanks a lot! I'm super happy to hear that you're enjoying our game! :)

Hi Maxscart!

Great to hear that you're rocking it out with Rocky! :D

Actually the endless levels are endless! What you're describing is actually a bug in the game. Thank you very much for noticing it and bringing it to our attention! This is fixed in the next update which should be coming out in a few weeks.

We're looking into balancing and fine tuning the game to see what we could do about the keys.

Cool to see you trying out different characters, ROGER-NL. :)

- Julius // Small Giant Games

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Got all the Artic levels complete now, on to the desert.

I got the later Artic levels with Rockie he was very usefull.

16. CanPcfstV3g

Apr 10, 2015
    #56 CanPcfstV3g, May 26, 2015
    Reseted my account to fully invest on Rocky. Had to leave 170K coins behind sadly but it was totally worth it. Playing with Rocky on endless mode feels like cheating after so many tries with Freeda.

Rocky is definitely harder to control than Freeda but his speed is insanely good and he handles windy conditions way better aswell. I reached +6000 meters on the first Island already and havent even upgraded his "turn" ability fully yet. Reaching +4000 M with Freeda on the Tropic Island was a big challenge even with her special ability upgraded 4 times.

I feel sad and happy at the same time atm. I am sad because i pretty much wasted a lot of time, trying to reach The Desert with Freeda. I am happy because i enjoy playing this game and it will be a walk in the park to reach The Desert with Rocky as far as i can see.

I will probably give Alex a try when i reach my old progress. The good news is, i will not need to spend keys to upgrade Rocky's special ability for a long time. ( at least for endless) Needed to spend 220 keys on Freeda and even that did not come close to Rocky's endless mode performance.

Edit: Reached +7000 M on the first three islands. Recently unlocked The Desert again. Saved up 271 keys and 33K coins already. Endless mode with Rocky rocks!

17. Hey Touch A! We have a little competition going on where you can win half a million coins to your account!

You can participate by linking your best Gameplay videoclip on the comment thread of our post in Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OddwingsEscape?fref=ts

You can link your video from YouTube or Everyplay.

We will choose the one we like the most and announce the winner on Monday! You have time to send your videos until Sunday! :)

18. CanPcfstV3g

Apr 10, 2015
    #58 CanPcfstV3g, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    I am sure that there will be really funny videos to watch soon. Even if i won't join the competition, i will be checking out the videos :)

I completed all islands except The Desert after the account reset again. Went backwards from The Desert to the Tropic Island to mix things up with missions this time. It was a journey, way easier to complete with Rocky,compared to Freeda apart from 2 or 3 missions where Freeda's agility is really useful but i still managed to complete them all with loose cannon penguin. :)

Reported some bugs in the meantime aswell.

Going to focus on endless mode of The Desert now to unlock the rest of the missions and see how it goes :)

19. CanPcfstV3g

Apr 10, 2015
    Completed all levels on The Desert with 3 stars aswell. It took only 1 day for me to complete the game with Rocky and this proves that Rocky is overpowered :D

There is no race level on the Desert Island somehow by the way :(

Looking forward to new islands and birds.

The developers are friendly, helpful and i am sure that they will make this game even better and more challenging :)

20. Maxscart

Maxscart Member

May 11, 2014
    Looks like a fun competition! Is there a maximum or minimum amount of time it should last? Also, what in particular are you looking for? Funny, skillful, lucky...?

I've also completed all levels and challenges. Quite fun, and some required skill where just the character wasn't good enough. Hoping to see some more birds as well!