Universal Oddmar (by MobGe & Senri) [TA Game of the Year 2018]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Apr 18, 2018.

1. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Yes, MFI controller support. :D

Yes, iCloud support. :D

2. Balur

Balur New Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Hungary
    Cheers! :D Perfect! :cool:

3. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    I hate to agree but I have to. Oddmar looks absolutely gorgeous and the controls work great - and the latter together with a a quite forgiving level design lead to the fact that there is very little challenge. I do enjoy the game but it’s a pity that the obvious inspiration like Donkey Kong Country wasn’t an inspiration concerning the difficulty. It might be because it attracts a wider audience but for “gamers” who have grown up with much harder games it is slighty disappointing.

4. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    you're welcome my friend and thanks for the heads up on posting the game :).

just to add some info about the game:
    - icloud supported
    - mfi supported and controls are great!
    - replaying all the levels? YES
    - boss fight? hell yeah
    - rayman clone? totally NOT, each game stands on their own.
    - any IAP included? not as far as i know this is pure 100% premium games.

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I agree. It has to do perhaps due to "inconvenient" touch controls that are not so precise as the standard with a controller. There are of course people who play fighting games, shoot 'em ups, etc with touch controls the same as with the controller but I believe this is not the majority. I may be wrong but it's way different to play a vertical shoot 'em up (raiden for example) with the touch screen and with a controller or tetris, e.t.c. I am curious to see how they will make the new castlevania. The developers could add a difficulty setting for casual or normal / hard. I like difficult games but no so difficult as dark souls. I like the difficulty of Goblin Sword - all time classic for me! :D

P.S. Any possibility that Oddmar will support ios 10 and not 11 and above?

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair its a difficuilt one. If the games too difficult people will moan and move onto one of their other 200 games or so installed on their device. Too easy and people wont be happy.

Back in the 80's i played those hard platformers like Manic Miner non stop as i had just paid 5.95/7.95 for it. Then in the 90's many of those platformers were difficult and i'm glad they were as i had just paid £40 for a cartridge !

Now years later with these ultra cheap games i can see kinda why some might be easy/too short etc. Now i dont have so much free time so having a go here and there on one level is fine for me. A game like this i love to take my time and really take in the graphics etc, i dont bother speeding through levels and I'm not interested in game centre/achievements etc.

In an ideal world this game i hope sells really well and then we get a sequel, a 'metroidvania' style platformer would be amazing

7. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I was just about to buy this when I noticed your comment... a shame too because it really does look good.

8. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    Ah I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed in the 11 and up requirement

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Time to move on gents ! It'll be ios 12 in a few months. Buy a cheap ipad and put all your 32 bit games on there. There'll be more and more ios11/or ios12 only games i'm sure

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here’s a hot take: those old school platformers were stupid hard and/or too long and repetitive — which made them perfect for the 10-14 year old audience they were originally intended for. As someone who grew up in the Atari console generation, I have never felt nostalgic for the SNES-era platformers, and even though I can see their charms, I’m glad that games like Oddmar (or Owlboy, Rayman, and Super Mario Odyssey, for that matter) eschew their infuriating level-design, limited lives, and needlessly stretched-out gameplay. I’d rather put the hours into a rich RPG or an open-world action game than a shallow platformer that seems to have little respect for my time.

So yeah, I think Oddmar gets it just right.

11. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I also think it is too easy. Finished the third world but at least the dream worlds and boss fights aren‘t as easy as regular levels. Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run was more challenging. I also think the upgrades for the shield/weapon have too little impact.
    Nevertheless I can fully recommend this game. So much love was put into it.
    Especially the story is very cool imo and the levels with Oddmars little helpers and the boss fights are also great.

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I have to imagine that it's a tough balance between "too easy" and "too hard." For me, while this may be on the easy side, I'd rather this then something like Le Parker. That was a game I wanted to love, but was difficult for the sake of being difficult. That's the was those Devs wanted it though and wanted to keep it that way.

13. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    It might be short, but it was nice enough. With affection for the game, users will talk more about the game. :D

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Loving the game, never thought they could possibly top Leo’s Fortune (which is still awesome, especially after last updates...looks incredible on iPhone X), but I’m liking this one so far even more.
    Production values are out of the roof.

Everything is animated and responds to interaction (loving hitting the sheep), looks like a cartoon in motion and the boss is just jaw dropping.
    Cutscenes everywhere too.

Difficulty wise it took me around 1,5 hours to complete first world, so assuming it’s like Leo’s Fortune with 4 worlds (and probably increasing difficulty) we are talking about (for my skills) around 6-7 hours...which is imho just perfect.
    And that is considering all secrets etc....but NOT the time levels which seems to me impossible :p
    Pretty sure if you want to do those (never did them in Leo’s but I did them in Lost Socks which is amazing as well and I promised myself never again) you are looking for many many MANY more hours.

I noticed they added a hard mode in Leo’s Fortune sometime ago (or I simply didn’t remember) so people complaining about being easy should maybe hope for harder settings. (I think those time levels are really super hard).
    For me it’s just perfect.

I highly recommend the game, people on the fence shouldn’t wait any minute longer.

Into second Wolrd now...levels are just getting better and better.

There is something I didn’t understand tough....how do you use the ‘fireball’ shield?
    Am I supposed to be able to fire fireballs?

15. idislikejordan

idislikejordan Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Here's my first look at Oddmar. This is a MUST PLAY.

16. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The final game turned out great. Only a few things I would like to see added. The weapons and shields need something extra. A hard mode would be great, maybe no checkpoints? Or maybe just future levels could ramp up the difficulty. Also would like to see some sort of endless arena added if they can find a way to properly fit it in the game.

17. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    The developers seemed to come here to share the joy of the release, but despite their successful launch they are quiet. I want to hear their story. :)

18. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing:confused: maybe it activates everytime you get the blue triangle shield and lasts until you get hit 1 time and the shield breaks?

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Pretty sure the fireball makes it so two little fireballs launch out from your sides whenever you do a shield pound.

20. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Lol thank you but how do you do a shield pound?:eek: maybe i missed that