Oddity with sound on iPod touch 4g/iOS4.1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SqueakyG, Oct 1, 2010.

1. SqueakyG

SqueakyG Member

Oct 1, 2010
    This isn't really a question or a complaint, just a little oddity I noticed with my new iPod touch 4g. I previously had a Touch 2g, and it had a really simple but effective way of controlling the sound volume: One volume level with headphones plugged in, and one volume level without headphones. It would remember them in between.

On the new 4g it's more complicated. With and without headphones, there seems to be two entirely different types of volume: "Ringer" volume which seems to be for system sounds, and another volume for music, games and video.

This is a hassle. A few games don't work with this system very well. Some games seem to use "ringer" volume for some sound effects and general volume for other effects, causing me to have no control over some of the sound. It's also annoying that the iPod doesn't remember the difference between headphone and non-headphone "ringer" volumes when swapping (though it always remembers "Music" volume correctly).

I notice a new setting called "Sound" in the Options, which explains what I've noticed about "Ringer and Alert" stuff, but doesn't really help. I wish it was gone and the sound was simple again.

Like I said, just a little thing. But it bugs me. Anyone else even care?

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I've noticed that. Considering our iPods don't have "ringers", I think that might be a glitch.

3. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    The ringer is for facetime.

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Ahh. Right, right. I completely forgot this thing had Facetime. Lol