Universal Oddhop - a unique puzzle game (by MHGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mh114, May 12, 2016.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Finally got level 12 in world 4 made me do 108 retry's, but when you finally see it it's so simple and you think whaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!! Ha ha.

2. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Well, in practice most people don't reach that point. More importantly, think like "communities", that I'm playing with friends as these are the most interesting players to me and I want to know their progress and challenge them. I think most people play like this. Only weirdo's like me and Roger (sorry Roger :D) care about global leaderboards.

And thanks for removing the test scores! I read that Apple changed GC in sandbox mode, that is, there is no sandboxed GC anymore, even sanboxed apps submit to live GC ...

3. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Hehe, I'm glad you kept at it though, great dedication! :) That's a tricky level, I agree. Have you tackled level 16 in the snow pack? That's probably my favourite from "it is so simple but why the hell I cannot solve it!!?" type of levels!

Hmm, we shall have to think about this. Maybe progress leaderboard that only tracks base scores (i.e. without any bonuses)? This would be the same as stars progression but with more granularity. I wonder, though, how Apple and Google rank scores that are the same, is the first score on top or the newest score? Not that I could do anything about that, just wondering.

That was quite weird, things were quite different when I made my previous game (3 years ago). Personally I think the GameCenter is bit of a strange beast from developers perspective.

4. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Last change to get Oddhop for 50% off!

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to post a reminder that now is the last day to get the game with the launch week discount! Obviously I don't object to anyone buying the game with full price, though! ;)

And oh boy was I happy this morning when I saw Oddhop on this weeks list: http://toucharcade.com/2016/05/18/new-iphone-and-ipad-games-may-19/ :D

5. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Thanks Sijs for calling me a weirdo, it's true though, I think Gamecenter with Leaderboards and Achievements is 50% of the fun for me playing IOS games, I think when Gamecenter is gone, I don't feel much playing any further, it has also to do with my age, sometimes I think I am getting to old for this, but there is not much else to do, and gaming is still lots of fun, so I will try to keep up with it ten more years ha ha.

This game is really fun and challenging that is the main reason for me still playing.

6. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #46 ROGER-NL, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016

7. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    This is a great game. It reminds me of Chinese checkers or that peg game where only one object has to be remaining. Based on the first several levels Odd Hop has a lot of twists to the formula which is definitely a good thing.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Charming and well implemented game! I do miss a bit of background music within the levels, but the forest noises are good too.

9. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Yes, the first player to get all stars would be on first place to brag about for eternity :) It's fair, as (s)he was the fastest to reach it (let me call this the Usain Bolt Principle LOL :D).
    Don't over-complicate it. Many puzzle games use a simple progression leaderboard, which for a puzzle game works quite well and from my own experience is useful information to players. Next you can add a score based leaderboard, but you need to make very clear in the game how the score formula works, else who is going to bother with a leaderboard based on scores for which it is not clear how exactly to improve them?

GameCenter always brings mixed opinions. There are players who don't care about it at all, other players like to compete and get a lot of motivation out of it. Some like the achievements (badges) only and so spend more time in the game. For others leaderboards add "replay value". For a dev it might mean it will give (simple) game analytics (how many players, how far do they get, ...), and for sure it helps to get the game known (see what your GC friends are playing, kind of "viral" effect)

10. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Thanks for the comments, DonnyDJ76 & slewis7! :)

Alright, we might add "Pack Progression" (stars) leaderboards in an update. :)

Sure, I just meant that GC is a bit weird to implement and set-up in the Apple dev console, IMHO.

11. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #51 ROGER-NL, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Finished the game, got all the Achievements except for first try gold, I came a bit short for that Achievement.

But I am gonna play the game again, it's so much fun, don't know what it is with this game, it just hooks me ha ha.

My total playtime was 4:19:47.

See if I can better those scores.

12. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Congrats! :) Thanks for reporting the playtime, I'm really glad you enjoyed the game! Let's hope we get (much) more players so we can at least provide new level packs. In the ideal situation we could implement new game mechanics, too.

Btw, if you guys haven't already, consider leaving us a rating or (even better) a review on the App Store. And if you already have, rock on! :cool:

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Gonna leave you a 5 star review on the Dutch Appstore, hope more people will buy it then.

14. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    5-star review left on the US App Store!

15. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Thanks guys, really helps! :)

16. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Happy Holidays!

Hey, long time no see! Just wanted to update that we have made Oddhop FREE for limited time, to celebrate the holidays! That makes now the perfect time to "hop" in and try the game, if you'll excuse the pun! :D

oddhop_holidays_free.jpg

We also want to thank those early players who have purchased the game since the launch in May: thank you! Perhaps we can get more people on board with this special occasion. :)

17. mh114

mh114 Active Member

In case you missed it, Oddhop is now freefor limited time! Happy holidays etc. :) It's actually free through the whole January, too, so plenty of time of grab it.

18. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

FREE again! Very recommended. Thanks to dev.

19. mh114

mh114 Active Member

Thanks! :)

Btw, did you guys know that all Oddhop puzzles were procedurally generated? ;)

20. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    This has got to be one of the best overlooked puzzle games on the App Store. An extremely well polished puzzle game that has similarities to Chinese Checkers. Sometimes I recommend games too quickly, but this is a no brainer if you like puzzlers.