Universal Octagon 1 (by Lukas Korba)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#21 Bronxsta, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    From what I'm reading, in this release build, you can also tap left-right to move. Still swipe to jump

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I think that's accurate. Maybe all they need to do is perhaps add something like Boson X where you tap with both fingers to jump (or, more accurately, flip gravity).

The controls work well to me though. Any death has been my own fault. Not due to the controls.

3. Yeah, it's still swipe to jump, I would like to have some kind of all tapping controls, either left/right simu to jump, or a moveable button to jump, or heck both options here as other control schemes.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. Faster to tap 4 times to quickly get to that "bridge"

This is a great game, but it doesnt reach Boson X heights for me. Loving the difficulty and the speed.

5. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    So does this have an infinite amount of levels or something? Someone plz explain

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'd say Boson X is a better game. BUT I do like the fact that this is mostly skill. I like the way Boson X randomized things but it can leave you in an unfair position where you don't get the blue platforms to get the power you need or you get a bunch right away and can get further. This has less chance involved since the levels are set -- still hard -- but at least a level playing field. Just IMO.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    This really needs to have the option to either tap or swipe. The game might be easier to evaluate without the issue of it misinterpreting input. Even then, it would most likely be just "ok," with Boson X comparison inevitable and working against it on every level.

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Actually, that random factor that makes some runs easier than others is an integral part of the formula for success. The top three games in the genre all utilise it.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Personally i like the randomization part of Boson X, because it demands more twitch skill rather than memory skill in the long run.

That said, not sure why, but i cant stop comparing this to Boson X. The similarities are there obviously, even though some of the mechanics are different.

This is still a good game though, but as others have suggested, i'd also like to see taps-only control scheme, and as Gabrien mentioned, to separate the controls schemes. Sometimes taps cant be registered as so because i subtly held too long or slid my thumb too slightly during that moment.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    By "top three", I guess you mean Super Hexagon, Boson X and Impossible Road?

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Probably Duet Game or Pivvot actually

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #32 JCho133, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    I'm enjoying this game quite a bit! It's kinda overwhelming at first but I've finally got it down. I'm working on track 6 and I would also like to see more control schemes. Swipe is still working pretty well for me, but I think I'd prefer tap since I'm on an iPhone :) I find myself almost "over swiping" sometimes and it causes my octagon to turn 2 spaces rather than 1.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I agree with the randomization. That is something that I like in any game because it keeps you on your toes and you can't rely soley on memory (although you once you knew what section you were on, you kind of still could use memory). My problem was just that since that game relies on specific platforms - the blue ones - it could take you 30 seconds to get to 100% or 30 seconds just to start getting any (that's probably an extreme example but you get the point). To me, that's more luck than skill.

Don't get me wrong I love Boson X and certainly would put it in the top tier of these games but that's just a little gripe.

14. Lukas Korba

Lukas Korba Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Prague
    #34 Lukas Korba, Nov 7, 2013
    Hi, I just want to respond to the controls: we have tried several solutions including taping, taping and swiping and just swiping. You guys are pretty experienced so you will understand that it is tricky to use tap + swipe because 1. it is not natural to combine two approaches 2. if you want to swipe, the device detects the tap first. Then you need to experiment with some delays which is again tricky etc. To sum it up, taping isn't as responsive as swiping :)

Here you can see how I play super hard levels on my iPhone 5 with swiping: https://everyplay.com/videos/1086510

Anyway thanks a lot for all positive comments, this is sooooo energizing and rewarding for me!

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I quite like Octacon. I like the art style, and the maze like corridor that you have to navigate with all the obstacles, speed, and the music. Needed to get used to the controls at first but now I got them... but Octagon could benefit greatly with Boson X controls (its not really the same game for those wondering), they feel so intuitive and natural, would be a prefect fit here, and anywhere. But little suggestion aside, the game rocks. I like this minimalist variant quite a lot. And its a premium app with no IAP folks, support this dev.

16. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Trying to decide whether or not to purchase.
    Would you say it is more of a Frustrating difficult like Super Hexagon, or more of a rewarding difficult like DUET?

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

It's definitely not as hard as Hexagon, and you can replay a level until you perfect it. So I'd say more of a rewarding difficult

18. takaya

takaya Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Hi, thank you for your answer. What about tapping both left and right to "jump"?

19. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Found a bug on the menus: screenshot

On an iPod Touch 5 and this also happenes on the main menu and the turtorial message on the first start up

20. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    #40 darnoc703, Nov 7, 2013
    Whoops, here it is

Edit: I don't know my my screenshot is uploading, but what it is is the menus such as Just the play button on the main menu and others on the after level menu