Oceanhorn - New Zelda-inspired title from developers of Death Rally!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fox-One-1, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox-One-1

Fox-One-1 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #81 Fox-One-1, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Archerx

Archerx Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    This looks amazing and I'm looking forward to playing it!

3. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009

Well that's what you get and what most people will think

Not here on TA of course.. nobody cares what will happen to nintendo when devs are making straight clones.

4. Fox-One-1

Apr 5, 2011
    Well, obviously you haven't played the game and still judge the whole product. Game will not be a clone of any existing Zelda game. Period.

Oceanhorn is a tribute to old tile-based adventure games, made in 3D. It is an action RPG without level progression. There is no sense making clones and it does not suit our way of making games. Oceanhorns game design is unique. We have unique one button battlesystem, boat gameplay that reminds more Pirates or FF worldmaps than Wind Waker. Everything else is superficial. Give a game and its developers a chance. This is a game we always wanted to create, combination of elements we appreciate in video games - and something that hasn't been done before.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah I don't know what's up with these Nintendo fanboys, this looks great, no matter how clone or not I'll buy it :) Especially when it's by a finn(my location!)

6. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    My conclusions were based on the given information; screenshot en text. You simply can't deny that it has windwaker all over the place from the given story plot (resque sister) to buying a sail for you boat to the graphics.. I mean you can't blame people for thinking that. Even the title suggest zelda :/

Anyway, I appreciate the extra info. I'm sure that will make other players happy. Maybe even me

As long you 'sail' your own road, things will work out

7. Fox-One-1

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for giving Oceanhorn a chance Prozak. Do you have to save your sister in Wind Waker? :confused: Not Princess Zelda? Wind Waker and DS Zeldas are the only ones I never got chance to play.

8. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

It is probably one of the best video games ever created :)

9. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
  10. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    #90 Qurao, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    Sid Meier's Pirates? I'M IN!

Seriously though, what has been posted so far looks great, and if you can pull it off, a one-button battle system sounds very suitable for the platform.

God, I want a sequel to Pirates so bad...

11. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Game looking very promising. Keep up the awesome work.

12. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I for one, like to see new ideas on the iphone and not stripped down versions of classic games that we really don't need. Yes I said that. If every developer would think like "oh we can clone that game" it stagnates creative processes and as result you'll get an oversaturated market with mediocre games wich never surpases the original games anyway. Not that we don't have an oversaturated market already.. but that's another story

And yes I care, great isn't it?

I'd like to point out before this discussion lights up again:
    The devs obviously stated they where going their own direction so let's take their word and end this conversation.

13. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Trust me, there are a lot worst things to worry about than clones. My big thing at the moment is monetization.

Plus, I can argue clones vs. ports vs. original ideas all day! Start a new thread for this discussion and let this thread be about the game itself. We don't know enough about it to fully start making accusations. Whooo, so what it is (or seems) inspired by Zelda.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah cut it off. Besides, cloning happens in App Store all the time, and frankly, I'm just glad someone is doing it for Zelda.

15. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I don't know why anybody would get worked up enough to waste time on an internet forum complaining the game is a clone of another game. Most iOS developers do not have console sized teams to come up with new and great ideas and then can develop on them. The bottom line is that right now we do not have Zelda on iOS so any game that is cloned after it, if it plays well, is a win. There really is no negative to somebody trying to make a clone of it with their own twists here or there.

Rather than waste time complaining about a game, you could be playing a game you do like. Or maybe you don't play iOS games, but you play the forums? Not sure.

16. Bamboo

Bamboo Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Look, now your getting into this stupid argument. Look people, you can't take such drastic accusations when the game hasn't even been released. Nuff said.

17. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I agree. If I love playing a game like Order and Chaos Online does it make sense for me to go and complain about another MMORPG when I could be playing a game I enjoy? I am just trying to understand his philosophy.

18. CiroContinisio

CiroContinisio Well-Known Member

Awesome art style. If the gameplay is half as good, I'm sold!

19. MrJo

MrJo Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2010
    #99 MrJo, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    It's in the Experience

I agree that TLoZ:WW IS one of the greatest games of all time. I'm a little bit older than that generation, and as far as my greatest gaming experiences, TLoZ:OoT was probably it (oh, the nostalgia . . .) :cool:

I don't want to join the clone discussion, but just wanted to say that iOS is painfully devoid of a true Zelda-like experience. There are some games that make a good attempt, but the gameplay and execution just don't quite match. I'd prefer to get something from straight from the source, but if Nintendo is (seemingly) never going to develop for another platform, I warmly welcome a legitimate attempt to create a similar gaming experience on iOS, or any relevant platform. (Clarifier: I am against pirating or blatant copying. It's too early for anyone - including the developers - to say how similar Oceanhorn will be to WW, but I'm excited for it and if the gameplay experience is half as enjoyable as that of WW, I will buy it :cool: regardless).

I just really hope Nintendo sees the writing on the wall, and does something to keep up (I prefer developing for iOS!).

Among my brothers and I, Zelda made up the meat of our fondest gaming memories. :confused: Is there a list anywhere of Zelda-like games on iOS? I haven't played any, just read about some. It'd be interesting to make a list and describe where each failed to replicate the Zelda experience . . .

20. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Loved TP, WW, MM and OoT - but A Link to the Past will always be my favourite Zelda - I recently replayed it using SNES9X on my iPod. Loved playing Zelda on an iDevice - definitely worth Jailbreaking for. :)

As for Zelda like games on the AppStore (excluding Zenonia and others that play more like an RPG than an action adventure) - I can think of only a few:

Sacred Odyssey by Gameloft - which was good as far as gameloft games go, but felt underwhelming compared to any Zelda game (only three dungeons if I remember).

Across Age DX - which is excellent and plays like Link to the Past, but feels short in comparison.

Dink Smallwood - great game that I can still remember playing back when it first became freeware in the late 90s. It is screen by screen like the original NES Zelda. One of the few games that came close to replicating a Zelda like experience without ever feeling like a complete ripoff.