Out Now Oceanhorn: Chronos Dungeon (by Cornfox & Bros)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    The generic nature of the first two games was the reason I lost interest within minutes. The character design alone felt so bland to me.

That‘s why I had high hopes for this. Bummer they just kept that blandness.

[

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The first two games (particularly the second one) didn’t feel generic to me, but to each his own.

The way I’m seeing this (and clearly the way it’s intended), Chronos Dungeon is very much an arcade experience modeled after Gauntlet, with perhaps a smattering of Oceanhorn lore added for flavor. It’s not meant to be an RPG or even a true rogue-like. It’s supposed to be played with others, and part of the problem here is that most of us are gauging it as a single-player experience. Like most arcade games, it’s also not built for multi-hour gaming sessions, but more of a drop-in, drop out jam. From that perspective, I think it’s a decent game. The graphics are nice, controls are tight, and the overall gameplay structure is engaging. Mind you, Chronos Dungeon is not really my bag, but I can see myself playing something like this every once in a while.

If you are expecting a Hyperlight Drifter or a Moonlighter, I can see how someone would be very disappointed. But I don’t think that was their intent at all.

sakara214ever and houseofg like this.
  3. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I was getting very excited to play this co-op with my girls and hopefully it will be fine for that purpose, because from a solo perspective I'd have all the same concerns. I'm all about having SOME sense of progression, even in roguelikes. But it may be a good gateway to similar games for my girls, and all the better that we can play it together.

4. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    You have a point there. Did not judge it with all these in mind but now i see. Still not for me but yeah maybe for multiplayer short sessions it is an ok game

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Hard to believe this has the Oceanhorn brand and is an Apple Arcade game. Aside from lack of depth, controls are awful. I know it’s trying to be a 16bit (dpad only) game but it really wants to be a twin-stick. Melee chars can only attack in four directions, but enemies can attack in all directions, so you have to run away, line up horizontally or vertically to hit them. Ranged can attack in direction facing, but you so want to be able to move in one direction and shoot in another. There are other disappointing things like being able to attack through doors, flying enemies dropping coins that can’t be picked up, dropping the item you paid for and then not being able to pick it up. Otherwise the monotony of crushing crates/vases and no sense of progression, leaves this game wanting to be so much more.

Rocco SE likes this.
  6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is not strictly true. Both melee characters attack in arcs (more so with the Blessed Knight), so you don’t have to line up perpendicularly with the enemy. I’ve haven’t really had to do the “step-back dance” you are talking about.

Again, not quite accurate. Once you start attacking, you can move the direction stick to target 360 degrees without moving the character. Agree that a twin stick would be fun, but Gauntlet didn’t have one, and that’s what they’re going for here.

Can’t argue with you here, though flying enemies dropping inaccessible coins has been rare for me.

7. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Played one long session, while I really liked the presentation and think on screen controls are decent, this game was boring from the get-go. Yes, they might really have planned it to be a fun multiplayer experience. But lets face it, locally most of us are single players.

Already after a couple of minutes you‘ve basically seen everything there is. I was bored running through these pretty beautiful dungeons. So I just closed the app and deleted it for good. Was hoping for something way more entertaining.

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    yes. already stop playing it. just can't believe this game is coming from the same dev as Oceanhorn 1&2. well got it for free anyway from Apple Arcade so no complain.

Rocco SE and sakara214ever like this.
  9. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Is there iCloud saving on this? Looks like my Game Center achievements move between devices, but not my save games. I guess that’s par for the course with roguelike games.

10. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    I really enjoyed this for what it was. After a play through I’d like to just fight the bosses without having to get through all the trash again. Would also like a mode with no items.