Universal Oceanhorn (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

This is the correct behavior. The game saves before the second half of the fight so you can go back to your boat anytime and finish all other side quests before finishing the game.

2. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Can't remember how it was before but Oceanhorn actually drains a lot of battery.roundabout 40% in 2 hours on my Air 2 (with nothing else open and brightness ca. 45%)

3. Thicks

Thicks New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I'm playin' on an iPhone 6+ and my phone is getting pretty toasty. Is this normal? I close all background apps before each play session.

4. Rattyfus

Rattyfus Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Three quid. YOINK!

5. MyUsernameName

Aug 26, 2014
    Oceanhorn cannot the found in the U.S store on the iTune app on the computer but can be found in the app store on the iPhone?

6. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    OCEANHORN it's on iTunes,i look with my pc today..

7. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    I get that every now and then on my 6+ with games, a hard reset usually fixes it, no specific issues with Oceanhorn for me. You should expect that it will get slightly warm, but if it starts to feel hot its best to give the reset a go - batteries don't much like being hot.

8. TeunVR

TeunVR New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    #1888 TeunVR, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    final battle part 1 sucks

Ok nice game, but final battle part 1 sucks big time.
    Beat it almost (one strike left) with full 7 hearts and then it starts throwing a million bombs that kill me in one second.
    Tried about thirty times now. And each time i have to throw 20 vases first to get full hearts.
    I liked the game up till now, but this is going to cost me my iPad Air. I am about to break it in half :(
    iPad which, by the way, slows down to a halt during this fight. Moving becomes very hard, especially when it starts raining bombs.

Ok, i beat it. Tip: instead of collecting all the vases each time restart the game from savegame.
    And try to survive the massive framerate-drop during this boss-fight, it is really bad on iPad Air.

9. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Sometimes I get a message when I start up the game that it may need more capacity to run and to close out other apps. This is on a 6 plus, with only one or two apps in the app switcher. I don't have background app refresh or whatever it's called turned on and I've followed all the other advice that reduces memory usage and extends battery life, so I know I'm not using too much of the phone's resources.

Does oceanhorn just take up that much memory?

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm in deep cove and I'm trying to get to a treasure chest. I used a bomb to open a path which looked like it worked but I can't go through the opened path. Is this a bug?

Attached Files:

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Doesnt look like a bug to me. There is a gap in front of you though, which is why you cant pass through. :p

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Thanks. I think I'm lost again looking for the cavern of fire.

13. Jmjhp

Jmjhp New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Cursed skulls

Help! I can only find 9 skulls. Are there 10?

14. CharlesX

CharlesX New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    a little bit expensive

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Yeah it's not worth more than $2.

16. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I found it quite easily worth the full price.

17. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    This is why we can't have nice things.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Still havent finished this, but i've reached Arcadian Ruins (13 hours in, and i love exploring each nook and cranny) which i think is a far enough progress to confirm its spot to be in my All-Time Best iOS titles.

I've played both with the touch controls and with an MFi controller, and this game plays very, very smoothly. Great visuals, good map layouts, difficult but very doable puzzles, and a decent story, all mix so well in this tight package.

The game isnt perfect though, as it does have its flaws, but arent that bad to dissuade you from playing the game.

First of all, the hidden paths that can be opened only with bombs. They can get annoying when you find it. There arent much clues for these buggers. But after exhausting your options when trying to get to a chest or a switch, you'd know its bombing time, and it's only a matter of spending a few bombs and a bit of time to find that hidden path.

Next are the bosses. These are decent boss fights, but i think some of them can be improved to make the fight a lot more memorable. Shadow Mesmeroth for one, suddenly becomes real easy once you figure out how to defeat him. Took me three tries as i wasnt really doing the right approach, but when i experimented a bit on different strategies, he became cakewalk. I still like how the game forces me to think up strats even though the solution made it easy.

Those said, i have considered Oceanhorn to be one of the best games i have ever played on iOS, and for very good reason.

19. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    This. :)

20. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    I bought Oceanhorn full price in mid-Jan as I had been meaning to buy for quite some time - in spite of my backlog of RPGs / SRPGs (inc. recent purchase FFT).

I wanted something a little different, and I was enchanted by both the art-style and old school Zelda-esqe play, although I was strictly a Super Mario Karts and Virtua Tennis only player on my friend's SNES in the early 90s.

Oceanhorn is a homage to the Zelda games of old. Nothing original, however the whole game has been crafted with love from the musical score, graphics and art-style, puzzle elements, and navigating around a semi-open World. The story is the weakest part of the game .. emblems blah blah blah; given that this is a homage then it reflects the story of the time.

The game oozes charm from its pores. It is clear that a lot of love has been put into the game, for old hands who fondly remember Zelda titles of the past, and new players, for whom Zelda may not mean much - save the odd crusty, "Back in my day" lecture.

Oceanhorn is easily worth your money if you like this type of Action Adventure. The only minor criticism is the way the camera sweeps around during those infrequent fights where you need to move around, block, switch weapons, etc. it can get a ill' disorientating with the cinematic killing blow slowdowns. That said, I'm finding touch screen controls fairly intuitive whereas something a lot faster paced e.g. Bastion, that relied on a lot more precision, I had to give up and would only play with a controller on my Xbox.