Out Now Oceanhorn 2: Golden Edition (by Cornfox & Bros.)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Not really feeling this so far. I'm struggling a bit with combat (not in the sense of dying/failing, but in it feeling clunkier than I think it should). I also really did not enjoy the first boss (beat it first time but had zero fun) and it generally feels a bit uninspired so far. Which is a shame, because it looks great and combat aside seems to control fairly well. Maybe if I didn't have access to every other format under the sun and therefore similar but better games like Zelda I'd like it more, but it feels a bit second rate to me so far. FWIW I felt the same about the first Oceanhorn, but figured I'd give this a try.

2. Nitro-Rock

Nitro-Rock Member

Mar 8, 2016
    I really must say that I love this game, started to play it on iPhone XR and now I would like to use the cross save feature with my AppleTV 4 and iPad Air2.
    but it does not work, alle devices run with the same apple ID, Gamecenter uses the same ID too.
    When I look on iCloud data on my iPhone I can see some kb of data from Oceanhorn, so it seems to save something, but it shows not up on the other devices..... I tried to log in/out on the devices but it does not help.....
    do I have activate anything?

the same problem exists for me for other games of apple arcade too :(
    Sayonara wild hearts - yesterday I played some levels on ATV but not showing up on iPhone, Hot lava is the same :(

has anybody a idea what i can do?

3. Nils

Nils Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #43 Nils, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Have you enabled the app on ICloud on all devices? I had a problem with different saves on my IPad and my IPhone after installing iOS 13.1 on my IPad I finally deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone, problem solved. I could have done it on my IPad also, but I’m not sure . Gamecenter must also be enabled on ICloud if your games are connected to it.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Combat gets less clunky once you get used to the rhythm of it. But unlike Zelda, this is not a boss-fight driven game — it’s more about exploration, world building, and storytelling. And it is especially in the last two that Oceanhorn 2 holds it’s own compared to Zelda (especially BotW). You’ll see what I mean once you get to the White City (and beyond) and get a real taste of the scope of both the world and the narrative.

I should note that I wasn’t a big fan of the first game either. Six hours in, though, the sequel doesn’t feel like a Zelda imitation — more like a refocusing of it. Now, it’s possible that you prefer the desolate, boss-fight driven, narrative-light approach of BotW; Lord knows a lot of people seemed enamored by it (why being able to climb anything impresses folks so much is beyond me). But that doesn’t make Oceanhorn 2 a pale imitation, just a game that you don’t like as much.

By the way, I’m currently also playing Zelda: Link’s Awakening on the Switch. I find it kind of meh compared to Oceanhorn 2 — but then again, I don’t have the advantage of nostalgia on that game.

ste86uk likes this.
  5. sevenape

sevenape Active Member

Jun 25, 2012
    SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T BEATEN THE GILLFOLK PART... Hello I have a bit of a problem. A bug in the temple of courage meant that when I shot the thing with a fire spell, the big rock didn't fall on the switch and so the walls stayed up. I've tried closing the game and reopening and leaving the temple thing but the rock just doesn't pop back on the platform. Is there anything I can do or have I lost 10 hours!?

Thanks

6. Nils

Nils Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Start the game, choose Backup, start an earlier Save...

7. Nils

Nils Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #47 Nils, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Have you enabled the app on ICloud on all devices? I had a problem with different saves on my IPad and my IPhone after installing iOS 13.1 on my IPad I finally deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone, problem solved. I could have done it on my IPad also, but I’m not sure . Gamecenter must also be enabled on ICloud if your games are connected to it.

8. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Interesting that you describe Zelda in general and BotW in particular as boss heavy/focused. Aren't there only like 5ish proper bosses in that whole game? Certainly most of my time in BotW had nothing to do with boss fights. The story is weak though.

Based on how you describe Oceanhorn 2 though I will give it more of a try. I don't particularly like bosses as a concept which made it all the more dispiriting that I was presented with one (and a really underwhelming one) so early, but if it's boss-light overall and actually has a decent story (which I value maybe more than anything in games) then it might end up being worth my time. Good to hear about the combat too.

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Using all of the weapons at your disposal, definitely gets easier as you get into the game.

Agree that the combat/bosses were way more challenging in the first. Killing enemies is almost too easy.

There are a lot more weapons and ways to use them which is a great evolution to the game play. Knowing what to use when and where.

Would have liked the combat to have a little more depth, but still loving the game. It’s absolutely gorgeous, and it’s all about solving the puzzles/figuring things out, and exploration. Get excited when I see A chest and then have to figure out how to get it.

About to find the first emblem and really enjoying the game. Amazing that something like this can be played on the go.

It’s also great when you realize you are in a spot from the first game, and see how it used to look.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I tend to think of every Zelda dungeon as a puzzle preamble to a boss fight. BotW has technically 5 bosses, but there are a ton of mini-boss fight experiences — kind of what they replaced puzzles with. Frankly, I gave up after 15 hours: got sick of crafting, thunderstorms, and fighting with my crappy weapons to in order to save the “good ones” for the big fights. Now, I haven’t played every Zelda game, so you have to take my views with a grain of salt.

Oceanhorn 2 is reminding me a bit of a different game (one of my favorites): Beyond Good and Evil.

11. sevenape

sevenape Active Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks very much!

12. Nitro-Rock

Nitro-Rock Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Have you enabled the app on ICloud on all devices? I had a problem with different saves on my IPad and my IPhone after installing iOS 13.1 on my IPad I finally deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone, problem solved. I could have done it on my IPad also, but I’m not sure . Gamecenter must also be enabled on ICloud if your games are connected to it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help, it works now...... but it was a bit strange solution because all adresses and so on were correct. I think my solution was to log out and in again on the iPhone (started playing apple acracde with iOs13, then updated on 13.1...... maybe that caused the problems with iPad and ATV). After that I logeed out and in on all devices and suddenly the save game popped up!

Great game so far and I´m happy to play this now on my different devices!
    I think the other games should work now too, did not test yesterday because I played Oceanhorn first on ATV and then on iPad when the savegame worked :)

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    I’m at the part where I have to get the three power spheres in order to retrieve the first emblem.

All of a sudden, one of the spheres isn’t where it originally was/is supposed to be. Has anyone else encountered this?

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Which one? There is one that disappears if it gets hit by a laser or you drop it in the water, but it goes back to the original position.

If it’s a glitch, you can always load a back up — the game saves them often automatically.

15. tsargeant3012

tsargeant3012 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2012
    Liking this game a lot, but it feels like it take a LONG time to actually get from place to place. Kinda makes me wonder if AA pays dependant on time spent on a game... ok! That’s enough me being cynical.

Possible spoilers below.

I’m really enjoying it, but I’ve gotten stuck (this thing could do with a help/hint system). Trying to get in to destroy the third Thunderstone with the gillfolk, but the underwater palace that it’s in needs an elevator key and I can’t find it anywhere...

Anyone know where I’m supposed to go?

16. Nils

Nils Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Are you at the right place? If you are trying to get in by the ooteca underwater gate that’s the wrong gate. You should go to the tilted temple and dive. Do You have the diving helmet from gilfords grotto?

17. tsargeant3012

tsargeant3012 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2012
    Yup, got the diving helmet, swam down to the tilted temple, went in underwater, then there’s a lift there that needs a key...

NEVERMIND! Just found it, didn’t spot the plant to climb up the wall!

18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    The first time I went there, there was one
    hidden in the water. When you flick the lever, the water drains and then I assume you have to throw it into the room with the three weight buttons. I didn’t get it on the first few tries, and now when I drain the water, the sphere is no longer there

thoughts?

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So how often does this game save? I’ve been put off since emu first play since I can’t just save it whenever I want to feeling like I need to have a fixed amount of time and then unsure when I can quit because I don’t know how long until the next auto save?

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Weird — that should have worked. Maybe it’s still there, just rolled out of the way.

If you can’t find it, I would just use a back up and start that section over. You shouldn’t lose much progress.