iPad Ocarina, Worth the Buzz?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Nov 8, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    So Ocarina just broke into the TOP 10 paid apps...

is it worth it? why would i need to transform my phone into a musical instrument :confused:

2. kholinar

kholinar Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I think it's worth it. I guess it depends on whether you'd be interested in playing any instrument.

Check out the forums... http://ocarina.smule.com/forum/index.php

The community is growing like crazy with scores going up every few minutes...

3. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
  4. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    an Ocarina huh?

is it an ocarina.......OF TIME!!!!!!

5. kholinar

kholinar Member

Nov 12, 2008
    That's cool, man.

A lot of people are being inspired to buy ocarinas by this app. :)

I've been wanting one and will probably spring for one at some point in the future. :)

6. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So is it a good app or not? I have really been on the fence about this one... I know it's only a dollar and i think i would get at least 5 min. of use but not sure about anymore then that...

7. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    it's worth a dollar just to go around the globe and hear everyone playing that's the best part for me

8. Suneun

Suneun Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    The big community providing ocarina scores is what makes it totally worth it. If you had to figure out on your own how to play the Ocarina it wouldn't hold much attention for most people. But there are about 150 scores available on their website (forum link) from random folks. It spans everything from Amazing Grace to Rick Roll. I'm trying to learn the Portal credits song, linked through this post here.

Definitely worth a dollar. It's also impressed half a dozen people at work today when I was practicing.

9. girlgeek101

girlgeek101 Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I Love It

There are really two things I like:

• First of all I can really play it and reading the music is easy. I can even memorize scores fairly easily.
    • Second of all, the experience of looking at the globe and all the lights representing iPhone users who have it, then listening to them play - even from the other side of the earth - is truly special as a social networking tool. I almost wish I could chat with them - but then again there are language barriers and privacy issues.

I highly recommend you try it if you tend to a. appreciate learning instruments or never really found yourself able to read music or play something and always wanted to., or b. enjoy the idea of listening to others learn how to play a very interesting instrument. By the way, this is also an excellent example of multi-touch capabilities of the iPhone - although some geeks (not me) have said it is not good for the phone to blow into the mic.

10. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    1) it doesnt take a geek to not know that
    2) this is what concerns me THE most with this app

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    It's really not good to blow into the mic? I'm being serious here, I never ever had heard that before, and I am a pretty big geektoid :p

12. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm amazed at what this thing could do. And when you get the portal theme worked out, let me know.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    You mean "Still Alive"? Yes, afaik, there is a couple of score edition to play along with.

14. bulldogger

bulldogger New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Damage to mic?

You have to blow into the mic for some games on the Nintendo DS e.g. Zelda so I'm surprised that blowing into the iPhone would actually damage it when the mic on the iPhone would be used a lot more for talking than the DS.

15. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I love this app !