Universal Nuts! The Battle of the Bulge (by HexWar Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't understand why the die rolls are hidden. I think I'm gonna cancel my purchase.

2. HexWar

HexWar Member

Apr 15, 2015
    We'll take a look and see about adding the dice rolls into an optional log in the next update :)

Thanks to everyone who's bought the game - hope you are all enjoying it. We're also going to upload all the tutorial videos to YouTube - we'll post a link to them all once they're all uploaded.

3. HexWar

HexWar Member

Apr 15, 2015
  4. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #24 mzinn, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    A hands on tutorial would be very welcome. One where you're being shown what to do as you play through your first game.
    There is lots to remember & I needed more than the fast paced videos to really understand it well enough to be effective.

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #25 currymutton, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Finally able to get into the game

1. Glitch: help text in game is too large to fit into the box, please fix
    2. Dislike: the "map" is too small, especially on Mini, feel like the real estate has not been fully utilized. I cannot even see clearly the "terrain" added
    3. Dislike: (covered) no dice roll shown
    4. Dislike: press and hold a "stripe" to show the full card, totally unnecessary, either show the full card on the left or dismiss it altogether. Do not feel cluttering the board anyway
    5. Dislike: showing cards which cannot be used in the current phase or impulse
    6. Dislike: Not enough text telling user what to do, for example in combat phase: it takes me some to figure that out after reading the help text. Also did not tell me max 5 units can enter a combat
    7. Dislike: stripe-dragging: clumsy to painful to drag a stripe to that tiny box on map. Why not click, select stripe (better card!) and the click box to place it? The mouse-boot scene comes into mind
    8. Dislike: tutorial is really half-baked. I lose patience waiting for things to happen on screen and click, it jumps to the next "section", well the section thing is rather hidden, and turns out by doing so, I have missed something. Why don't we have interactive tutorial in the first place? Even the cheaper Steam has one!
    9. Dislike: speed. I play at normal animation speed and feel like it is slower than slow in Ascension...
    10. Dislike: no option to turn of that gorram snow fall in the background. Utter annoying
    11. Dislike: unnecessary animation: why show me all the cards drawn? They are way too small to read in the first place, it is so slow that it is a waste of my time and I can sort them all out in the later phases!
    12. Dislike: manual turn change button for the AI. I have to tell the AI when I have done watching it play to go to its next phase?! Also, there is no indication when I can click on it to make the phase change happen!

I have not even gone into the actual gameplay and the AI yet. I can swear that even Dream Quest has been UX than this.

I cannot believe I am paying US$10 for this! :eek:

Edit: one more thing: when I play German, my troops start from the right map edge, which is fine, but my cards are in the left side of the screen -- go figure... :rolleyes:

P.S. Final word on this: refund made. Just take the above as crazy rant and consider it case closed.

6. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    North, not everytime, iPad 3 8.1

7. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Ok, starting to understand the rules and my god, that wasn't easy. Had to translate the rules in my own language, make a summary and still having a hard time.

I like the game, a lot, it is hard but I guess it will be very rewarding once I will be able to win a game.

I have a questions for the moment :
    Why can't I see the combat regarding the encirclement when all units defending are in the town/city?

Thanks in advance.

8. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #28 gmattergames, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    First impression: game is not "hard" it is just more complex and not as intuitive as the typical hybrid tactical-card game. Believe the intent is something in the vein of a WW2 "Summoner Wars", which is great, but unfortunately, while the mechanics may seem very logical to the designers, for the uninitiated, typical fan of the genre, Nuts will seem daunting, confusing and tedius. For hardcore wargame enthusiasts, none of this tediousness should be a problem, as traditional tabletop wargames strive to be as complicated and tedius as possible, almost as if that is their appeal. This game seems based in that tradition. The designers of the original card game, obviously embracing that old-school tabletop complexity, have draped on layers of complexity that will be too deep for the typical fan of the tactical-card game genre. The implementation is surely less tedious than the tabletop version, but still feels daunting. It's nice to see HexWar step away from their heavily utilized wargame engine, and do something different, even if it is an existing game. Unfortunately, for a mobile game, without a significantly more robust guided tutorial, most won't even finish their first turn. Even if your an avid fan of HexWars lineup, this may be a bit rich, at least in its current state. Otherwise, for fans of the original table-top game, this is probably a dream come true.

9. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I asked for a refund. If Hex War does enough to address the criticism I will be happy to buy the game again but for now I think there are just to many flaws. Players should at least have the option to play with covered or plain die rolls.

10. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    #30 D1vi8, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    I don't mind not seeing the dice rolls. I think it is far worse that you can't even see the encircled combat and only can see who is hit and who not if there is a cohesion check. So you can't assign the hits in encircled combat!
    I really can't understand it, why is encircled combat not shown. Am I missing something?

11. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I Don't think watching the die rolls is nessesary. Why would you want to watch 40 die rolls. That iis one of the major complaints of the board game, too much die rolling.

12. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I think there should be a choice. In this forum I'm the second one who prefers the die rolls.

13. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I still can't understand why encircled combat is not shown, and no-one seems to know the answer.

Maybe someone knows an answer to this question :
    If I have 3 units on a grid, 1 unit in a town and 2 other units outside town but on a ridge, and they are being attacked, do all 3 units benefit from the town and the ridge? Or does one unit has advantage from town and the other 2 from the ridge? It is hard to see that ingame.

14. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    The game is unplayable for me. Any scenario after a couple turns during AI combat the game freezes and am unable to continue. Happens every time. I have not been able to finish 1 game yet.

15. PirateJock

PirateJock Member

Jan 13, 2014
    North West, UK
    #35 PirateJock, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Hi CoreyB - I'm having a similiar, intermittent, problem with game freezing during combat. It usually happens during Day 1 German attacks when I'm playing Allies. Doesn't happen every time but when it does: I press the Commit button, my Event cards appear (usually all greyed out as I can't play them) and I can't get past that point. If I hide the cards and repress the Commit button they reappear again.

I've posted this on the HexWar forum (there's no Nuts! sub-forum so far) and waiting for a response ... Link

16. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Hopefully they fix it

17. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm out. Wanted to love this but just can't get there.

18. jamesp111

jamesp111 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    How long does it take to play a game?

How long does it take to play this game, and does the game break down easily into e.g. ten minutes at a time?

19. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know the freezes after a couple turns. I have not been able to complete a game yet. Also the game tons of unnecessary confirmation pop ups that slow the game. Save your money until (if?) It is updated.

20. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I was surprised to see hexwar on the forums and hope they are turning over a new leaf, but with bugs being highlighted and no devs to be seen, it's come off my watch list. Hexwar.... Hopefully your action and interaction will bring it back on.