Universal Northgard (by Shiro Games & Playdigious)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Radieg

Radieg Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Male
    #21 Radieg, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Never preorders - REMEMBER
    Whenever I was buying pre orders, it's ... well ... I definitely prefer to buy ready-made games in which the developers have tried to deserve my currency.
    I bought Escape from Tarkov once as a pre-order and it's a good game - the only pre-order game I have been playing until today. I like trading, especially currencies in EFT.
    I have all kinds of money and cash - roubles, dolars and euro
    You should buy eft money (buy eft currency) https://odealo.com/games/escape-from-tarkov/money

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Got it, boss.

3. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    This game is really good on ipad

CrayonWarrior and pathogen541 like this.
  4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I had basically retired from iOS gaming to solder synthesisers and be an old man.

this, however, has drawn me back and is phenomenal.

on iPad. That is. Hot mess on iPhone. Hardcore GOTY contender on iPad.

anthony78 likes this.
  5. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I realllllly wanna play and enjoy this game. I really do. I am even ready to deal with the UI/UX challenges on phones. (Yes, I am that much into Vikings and games made by Playdigious)

But 5-10 mins. into the game, and my device starts burning up. Which ofc, results in substantial amount of battery drain, even during rather short gameplay sessions. (And this on a latest device - iPhone 12)

Not sure how it is on iPad, but looking at the comments, it seems this is best suited to play on iPads. What a shame. :/

Talbs likes this.
  6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Agreed as far as iPhones. Hasn’t been enjoyable for me on my iPhone 11. Wish I had an iPad. (Well, I have an iPad Mini 2 that’s useless for new games)

Rocksaint likes this.
  7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Switch off High Performance in settings. Dunno about drain but it does a WORLD of help when it comes to heat...

...but 110% agreed regarding playing on an iPhone. Granted, I'm terrible at RTS games (simple or complex) but it's just overwhelming with everything on screen. It makes me nervous. Like, I know I'm supposed to take my time, plan, weigh options and resources, act according to the lands themselves and surrounding areas/enemies...but instead it feels like I'm playing a twitch-based game where I'm overwhelmed by everything around me and all I can do is PUT THIS HERE, WHERE'S THAT F***ER, ROTATE THIS, WHY WON'T IT SELECT, OH LOOK I'M UNDER ATTACK, OKAY *swipes home bar*

I'm genuinely thinking of putting up with all the bullshit that I have to to try and get a refund. I don't know.

AltsKev, Rocksaint and anthony78 like this.
  8. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Ah. So there is a way to lower down the performance. I wasn't aware of that. I knew the game was running at silky smooth 60 fps, which was probably resulting in being taxing on the hardware. But that's good to know. Will try that out.

Hehe, I think you have perfectly explained every phone user playing the game. (At least the non-plus ones) I haven't gotten that far into the game but I'll probably be sweating like you to get everything sorted.

Too bad in my country, Apple doesn't allow any refunds. Oh well, at least I got to support the developers in a way I guess.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There was an odd time where I could request refunds and be granted them automatically (in Lebanon!?), but maybe I exhausted them. The last request I...requested...was 6 months ago (and it was denied) but I took a chance right now, and unfortunately I'll be contacted by an advisor within 48 hours. Aforementioned bullshit will ensue! Let's see how this goes.

Yeah, no, it's unplayable on iPhone. I love Playdigious. Absolutely love them, but this should have been an iPad-only title. The fact that text overlaps text at times should be an indication of that.

anthony78 and Rocksaint like this.
  10. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Yes. Unticking the high performance mode does make it playable now. But definitely at the cost of visual quality. Barely any shadows and overall everything does look less detailed.

Exactly what I did, here in India. Initially, I used to get refund for everything that I applied for. So the young and stupid me would refund any game I didn't like back then. But now, anything I apply for, no matter how critical the issue is, the refund request gets declined. So I stopped trying altogether.

Yeah, even I love Playdigious games. That's why I had this (and Dungeon of the Endless) pre-ordered as soon as they were up for pre-order. But I hope they learn from this. Because I surely am going to be skeptical for ports in future. Not specifically Playdigious ones, but any game in general. Especially if the genre doesn't suit smaller screens.

metalcasket likes this.
  11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    100% agreed. This isn't a knock against Playdigious at all. The port is phenomenal and is being hailed everywhere...by iPad players. EVERYONE with an iPhone has been complaining. I could also argue that maybe the non-Playdigious Dungeon of the Endless being iPad-only was the right decision back in the day. While it's certainly playable on iPhone, I wouldn't say it's an ideal experience either.

Oh, and I'm absolutely expecting this request to be rejected. :p

12. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I just requested a refund as well. It’s just not fun on an iPhone. Maybe I’ll get it on a console at some point.

metalcasket likes this.
  13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    As a counter point, I had no trouble at all on my iPhone 12 Pro. Yeah it’s absolutely better on iPad, but depending on your tolerance it’s not that bad. (This is aimed at someone yet to purchase the game).

I had no trouble picking individual units, or seeing text (at less than 2x scaling). If anything, I wished I could have zoomed the map out further to see more of it.

pathogen541 likes this.
  14. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I’m pretty surprised at a lot of these comments; I’m playing on an XSMax and am really enjoying it.
    Would it be better on a pad? Certainly but I’m still having a great time.

I can see it being a problem on a regular sized screen but not on a plus size.
    In this regard I put it on a level with Crying Suns; not the ideal way to play but far from unplayable.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I would suspect @anthony78, @Rocksaint and I are all on regular iPhones, not the Pro/Max versions. I could absolutely imagine playing the game on the go to complement gaming on an iPad (even on a smaller screen), but if all you have is a regular sized phone, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend steering clear of this at all costs if you're a new buyer.

Look, when you have a unit selected and have a massive description box on the bottom of your screen, buttons to the left and right of it, a tutorial box coming down from the top middle of your screen, the map and pop-out objectives on the upper right (overlapping tutorial text), your entire selectable clan taking up a considerable amount of space on the right...and have 2 inches x 1 inch in the center of your screen to see what the hell is going on (with a teeeensy "Your clan is under attack" notification covering what's left)...it ain't fun. It don't work. It's unplayable.

16. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Yup. Mine isn’t a Pro/Max version.

Bluntly put, this is NOT how RTS games are supposed to be played. I have played enough RTS games back in the day to know that. If it was a sim/management game with no combat or a turn-based game, I would still understand. But a game where you need to think on your feet, react fast and have awareness of the entire map while defending your base, then no, you’re not supposed to play such games like this.

(Apologies for being so blunt but it is what it is, and people who haven’t bought it yet have a right to know)

Talbs, anthony78 and metalcasket like this.
  17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think we need to postface all this negativity by reiterating that beyond playability on smaller iPhone devices, this port is nothing short of incredible. I don't want people to read our impressions and be turned off. :/

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    sorry, but Crying Suns is a completely different kind of game, it’s a rogue with all the time of this world to think your next move, even the combat sessions are low paced and simple, + texts on screen, pop ups, etc never overlap between them... and the same can be said for Dungeon of the Endless (mostly after the update), just to mention a couple of recent good pc ports.

19. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I was referring to the legibility; I realise that they are very different games.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #40 Gwarmaxx, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    yeah, i guess that, but i meant that in CS/DotE ie you still open the magnifier to read tiny texts, then plan all your moves, and real time battles don’t have dozens of commands and icons overlapping main screen.

just i’m not sure this guys did a good port in this case, at least for mobiles.

MetaGonzo and anthony78 like this.