North Korea Attacks South Korea

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yes, I fully understood what you've said.
    Maybe I expressed this wrong (then sorry about that), I just picked up your comment and continued it with my statement. You are right, btw., even if it would be a stupid idea... insane people are known for stupid ideas.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Oh right, now I understand. And yes, I agree. There's no way that any country will launch a nuclear attack on North Korea unless they use their nuclear weapons first.

3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Not everybody is a stupid, fanatic communist who lives in a communist country. They simply have no choice. Their leaders are guilty - same situation as it was in Eastern Europe not too long ago. But their time will soon come to an end.

And remember: there are actually people suffering there. No healthcare, no food, nothing except the dogmatic leaders who break families apart, let children die and destroy everything around them.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well that goes without saying. The whole dicatorship is evil. Citizens of North Korea are generally poor, good people. With the exception of their greedy, maniacal leaders.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #25 Vovin, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    +1000

How can anyone be so insane... as simple as it is - if North Korea starts a war, they are slaughtering their brothers and sisters. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, the politicans of all other countries are already reacting - I hope they can calm down the situation.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    At the minute I wouldn't worry to much but if China ever makes a move for Taiwan I think WW3 will probably kick off (yeah I know I'm jumping to extremes but I do think they would use North Korea for an initial distraction).

I don't think Kims a nutty as the media make out but he's definitely a serious threat to his neighbours although no doubt China could flatten him in a day if they had reason to.

Just hope the UK keeps it's nose out as I don't fancy being drafted for a Korean war if this escalates it could possibly spiral in that direction.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I smell the making for a new Fallout game coming...

Fallout: World.

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  9. Crap. I think everyone knew this was coming eventually and Dear Leader was just itching for any excuse to lob some ammo southward, but I didn't think it would happen yet -- actually I was hoping Kim-Jong would die; his son might have been groomed to replace him in every way but he'd still be green, which may have stalled the simmering tension further. (Or may not depending on how impulsive he turned out to be.)

The North have had a crapload of ordnance focused on the south for years, probably enough to take out Seoul, I just hope they don't get to that. This could end really, really badly.

10. Doh! I didn't know it was his brat that initiated this. It's worse than I thought; it looks like he's going to be even more brash and more deluded than Dear Old Dad.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #32 Vovin, Nov 23, 2010
    Well... Noth Korea makes two big mistakes at the moment:

- first, they (and mainly Kim Jong-un) are overestimating their powers again. They should take a look at the world map and the nations around them... and shut up as fast as possible;

- second, North Korea isn't aware that the have been watched very, very closely in the last years. Like a child watched by his parents. Now this child seems to try out how far it can go - but doesn't realises that the other nations are already fed up with North Koreas behaviour lately. They could get a serious hiding soon.

I am just wondering why China, which has some major influences over North Korea, doesn't intervened yet.

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Heh. I live in the very northern part of Seoul, so I am about 50 km or less from the North Korean border.

Funny to say, but while I'm a bit alarmed because there hasn't been an instance of actual firing from one of the Koreas on the other on land with civilians in the zone of conflict since the Korean War...I am not at the moment all that worried.

You get pretty used to the constant saber rattling of Pyongyang when you live here, although today I asked my boss what he thought we should do if a N. Korean invasion occurred and his answer was, "run South." :D

Re: the nuclear discussion--I had heard that the US was planning to re-deploy nukes to S. Korea but saw this article today: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/TOE6AM004.htm so I'm not sure where that's going, but we are basically in a M.A.D. situation here regardless...there's simply not enough land area to withstand modern warfare in any way without basically both countries being obliterated in a matter of days...and in that case I myself would be done for in a matter of minutes, most likely, once the N. Korean shelling started. Regardless of that fact I'd still rather see nukes left out of the equation, of course, but regardless I am not too worried about N. Korea mobilizing on the South, or vice-versa.

...Which is not to say it can't happen, but on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being that I don't give it a second thought (most of what N. Korea does/says gets a "1" response from me) and a 10 being, "Oh shit we're all gonna die" I'm at about a 3 right now.

So take it from someone who's living pretty close to the situation for whatever that's worth.

13. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Do you like comic books, Vovin?

I will try to work out an analogy for you:

China = Lex Luthor

N. Korea = Rhino

USA = The Punisher

:D I'm mixing my DC and Marvel, but you get the idea.

(Just having fun with this analogy, by the way, so please nobody take it as a serious attempt at political analysis. :rolleyes:)

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

No... at least I am not up-to-date and don't know Rhino.
    So your analogy passes by not understood... ;)

15. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    F*ck. I saw on a documentaryish thing that the nukes or missiles can reach california and japan easily. They've already 'tested' them targeted very close to japan (like 8 of them too!). Btw, America has a ton more nukes then them.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #37 Vovin, Nov 23, 2010
    ... and to "celebrate" this event, "Warheads" by Pangea Software, Inc. just dropped to 0.99$.

/bitter sarcasm

17. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    It only takes one.

18. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Or 250,000... Whichever floats your boat.

19. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I'm so ronery so ronery...

Aw Wolf Bwritzer you breaking my bawrrs wolf, you breaking my bawrrs