Non-IOS Fav Games of the Year 2014 - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by september, Dec 19, 2014.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #1 september, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    The TouchArcade Forum's IOS Game of the Year thread is here:
    [thread]249263[/thread].

This thread is for non-IOS games.

Don't care what platform(s) but feel free to mention it, just curious about people's favs. Although not clear cut, mine would be...

Game of the Year: Far Cry 4
    Runner Up: Dragon Age Inquisition

And for the hell of it...

Honorable Mention: inFAMOUS Last Light
    Disappointment of the Year: Watch Dogs
    Most Anticipated for 2015: The Order 1886

I actually enjoyed Watch Dogs, but it didn't nearly live up to expectation.

2. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Damn... is FC4 that good? I've been playing DA:I and thought it'd run away with GotY but I may think about getting FC4 after all.

3. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    My Game of the Year had to be Wolfenstein: The New Order, just an amazing old-school shooter that run flawlessly on both XBOX 360 and PS4 (yes, I bought both versions).
    And my Runner Up is Transistor
    Far Cry 4 is quite good also, but is (to me) pretty much FC3 in a new map.

4. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Samurai Warriors 4

5. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I nearly swapped those around, both games I've really enjoyed but they offer quite different gameplay and think I'd burnout on DAI before FC4 which I can just pick up and play when I have a spare half hour, its custom maps and so on. I think DAI is the better game to sink your teeth into and would probably be more popular with others.

What's been you favs for 2014?

Love both your choices and partially agree on FC4 but don't see that as a bad thing. Without spoilers, once I made Shangri-La and the City of Pain I did feel it came into its own more.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    My game of the year just for the sheer amount of time I have spent playing it is Diablo 3 : Ultimate Evil Edition for the PS4. I realize that the game itself is older, but was released in Aug 2014.

Other games that have captured my attention - Fez for PS4 and Vita, Transistor, Child of Light.

Most Frustrating - Shadow of Mordor - the difficulty is just all over the map from being extremely easy to getting massacred without really much of a reason other than random Orc Captains showing up in the middle of a fight.

Threes has managed to keep me enthralled much like Drop 7 did way back when.

I played FC 1 way back when - hated it although I can't honestly tell you why - would I like FC4? So many positive things said about it.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Far Cry 3 and 4 are very different from Far Cry 1 (and 2, for that matter).

Far Cry 3 is phenomenal, and Far Cry 4 is Far Cry 3 with a better setting and better multiplayer.

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    My GOTY would be Dragon Age Inquisition. I've just completed the main questline with a Knight Enchanter and I've started a second game with warrior class character. I can forsee myself playing the game through a third time with a rogue class.

Runner up -- Valiant Hearts. I enjoyed every minute of it; the puzzles are just right and the story is very well told, touching, sad and leaves its mark. I also have to give honorable mention to Monument Valley -- that game is such joy to play. Each level is a well designed visual treat.

Disappointment of the Year: Borderlands PreSequel -- I know when I got it it's probably the same thing as the BL2, I wish it was but it felt really dull and the humor seemed trying too hard.

Most Anticipated in 2015: Witcher 3.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Game of the year: Elite Dangerous (PC)
    Runner up: Diablo 3 (PS4)

Greatest let down of the year: tie between FC4, DA:I and Watch Dogs.

10. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Just want to point out with the thread title change and the post edit, this is meant to be really relaxed - not a yard stick for most powerful game in the universe. Purely what you've enjoyed, haven't enjoyed and whatever else you want, definitely not intended to result in picking what should be everyone's GOTY, simply your year in gaming.

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I only played one non-iOS game on a device I bought specifically to play it.

TxK

It was worth it though. Game and soundtrack are beautiful. I even bought and regularly play the soundtrack.

12. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I originally didn't specify that it had to be non-iOS, but a mod is a bit worried it might confuse things with the official iOS GOTY so is fair enough. As for TxK, yeah it's brilliant old school arcade.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    And hard as nails without a trackball. I didnt think muscle memory was supposed to last decades. I keep getting turned ariund when i loop over the top and die from going the wrong way. Stunningly gorgeous game though.

14. greggtwep16

greggtwep16 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Indie Game Developer
    Chicago
  15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm going to say Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor it's probably the one I've enjoyed the most from this year.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I would pick Spelunky because it was released on PS4 this year, but I actually had it since 2013 on PS3/Vita, so I guess I'll not pick that. :)

So the game aside from Spelunky that has me hooked good is Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions. Great game!

17. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    #17 noah0706, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Dark Souls 2! Played 150+ hours and died 1000+ times XD Amazingly fun game