Noblemen: 1896 (Foursaken Media) - strategy + 3rd person cover based shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    They're really outdoing themselves this time (in the best way possible!)

Excellent to see just how amazing the bros can get. May this game take the cake as their best yet!

2. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Some quick clips of in-game action ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's awesome!!!

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That's awesome!!!

5. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Ok I'm convinced, this looks awesome!!
    I hate 1st person games so I'm glad it's not

6. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Things I noticed...

*The Foursaken font :) Do you guys have your own custom one? I think it or a derivative have been in your last few games :p

*THAT WAR BLIMP

*SNIPINGS! :D

I gotta agree, this looks pretty amazing.

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Different lead designers on different games, so there will definitely be recurring themes, UI looks, and similar fonts on certain games ;) This font in particular I believe is similar (but still different) to the War Tortoise font, which is probably what you're referring to.

8. jekct1212

jekct1212 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Do the enemies march in files like the Civil War era?! I got really excited when I saw that in the GIF, and what kind of weapons will you get to use?

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

They do stay in somewhat of a formation. We've spent a lot of time on the AI, so they are pretty smart in terms of cover hopping, retreating, etc - hoping it feels like an organic battlefield :)

In terms of weapons, we've got a wide variety... some are from civil war era, some are hypothetical, some are from WWI era-ish. We've got weapons such as the winchester-like henry rifle, muskets (terrible weapon :p), rifles, shotguns, elephant gun, scoped whitworth rifle, and then some theorycrafted weapons like a machine rifle, machine gun, "K-rifle" (armor piercing K rounds that didn't exist until WWI), and others. There is also melee and assault units with sabers, bayonets, and pistols.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh my GOD he's crouching for cover. Animations look amazing... War blimps amazing... Foursaken font... amazing.

By different lead designers, do you mean each bro has his own main project going on at all times? :p

11. jekct1212

Nov 29, 2016
    Can you use the swords and bayonets and pistols? And from the view of a Civil War reenactor I will gladly fight a battle with a musket!!!:D

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Our dev process is definitely atypical. We do indeed often have 2 projects being worked on simultaneously.

Thats awesome! :) Really tried to get out and watch a show actually for research, but missed the chance, sadly >_<

Your hero cannot use a pistol, but he does have a sword/saber. Various units/regiments focus on close combat assaults though with swords, pistols, bayonets.

Re: muskets, taking place in the late 1800s, these muskets in particular are pretty bad bc they are approaching ancient technology, and are still unrifled (for anyone wondering, "rifling" a gun was the first big thing that made "old era" guns more like modern guns, allowing them to shoot with MUCH greater accuracy and range; it basically increased the effective range anywhere from 5-10x). These muskets are also primarily used by the poor and militia, making them even worse! :p

13. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I really want to see the world part of the game since it appeals to the board game nerd in me.

14. jekct1212

Nov 29, 2016
    Oh yeah, wouldn't want a smoothbore vs. that stuff, the musket I use is a rifled 1853 enfield for civil war stuff (like the whitworth but for regular infantry instead of marksmen):p

15. jekct1212

Nov 29, 2016
    And what about the factions?

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#56 Foursaken_Media, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    tbh we're still doing a lot of work with the overworld trying to make it as interesting as we can. We're taking a philosophy that both the world map and the 3d battles should be able to stand on their own as great games, independent of eachother... so we're still tweaking things to make sure there is plenty of macro strategy on the map screen.

I probably have my terminology wrong - or rather, should've been more specific about being a smoothbore musket :p We do indeed have a marksmen Whitworth rifle as well - and our generic rifle is modeled after the Springfield.

There is nothing gameplay related right now to distinguish the different factions. We will likely have different flags and obviously have different colors/uniforms representing the different sides.

17. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh will there be tank units in the game?

18. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    JCho, it's pretty obvious what the next one is, it's been beaten around the bush for a little while, something about news later this year... Unless they BLOCKed that off until the next game after this one and the unannounced one :D :D :D

I see War Tortoise, and I see H&CII in that font, BF/BF:W... seriously, we have too much time on our hands to notice those things lol.

I can't wait to see a boardgame-esque element with some action-shootery stuff. Totally a cool game concept!

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Need to know... everything...

20. jekct1212

Nov 29, 2016