Universal Noblemen: 1896 (By Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Aug 30, 2017.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes, this! I find people are simply too difficult to hit at long ranges because zoom isn't super accurate, and units move very quickly!

I might be an advocate for making bullet weapons be hit scans, as I just don't think the game allows us to be quite accurate enough to justify the bullet physics. This would let me take better advantage of gaps in armor as well!

2. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    I am experiencing random crashes just like in HC2.It is kind of starting to bother me especially when I am just about to win a battle.I can forgive it for HC2 because the game is old and I don't expect much support for it but having the same weird crashes in this game is just not okay.The game is starting to feel less polished the more I play it.On the other hand I just received a lv 62 Officer which is good I guess this early on in the game.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    a few people have expressed this same concern so I will try again
    is the battery drain something that can be fixed? of all the games on my phone this one drains my battery the fastest
    thanks!

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

What device and OS?

We're looking into a battery saver option of some sort (30fps, lower graphics, etc).

5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    #105 sakara214ever, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    I am not much of a graphics guy or know a lot about graphics and options etc but how are lowering the graphics will make it any better? I mean i know the obvious answer but what i can not understand is why while i am staying on the menu and doing absolutely nothing not even scrolling the menu just looking at the screen my battery goes from 56% to 48% in 2 minutes and the phone is literally burning in my hands. I never had that problem with the same ios and phone with any other game. There are games that push the phone too far but just staying in the menu and losing battery like crazy is something i can not understand cause my knowledge around that thing "graphics" is not much.

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Its bc its still running all the environments and graphics behind the UI screens - the menus are just "pop ups" over everything (so that you don't have to sit there and load for 5s every time you open or close a menu screen).

We're going to be looking at some better battery saving options - namely a 30fps option which should greatly help.

Just as a comparison, it looks like Noblemen is using up about 2.5x the battery draw of a game like say, Angry Birds Match. This to mean, seems about accurate given the difference in graphics, CPU, etc.

But again, we're looking into some options!

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Why does the enemy base seem like it has so much more health in later levels? My Earthshaker only did 32% damage.

This seems to only add tedium to the game as I spend multiple turns finishing the building off with ground units, without much of a challenge.

But damn does that thing look badass when it shoots!!

8. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#108 Foursaken_Media, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    I believe its supposed to do a minimum of 50% damage - checking into it right now!

Also, here's a tentative list for the first quickie update we hope to push out today... in our testing so far the gun changes actually make quite a big difference - should improve the gunplay quite a bit, imo, especially for the longer range rifles.

Update 1.0.3
    Improved shooting mechanics: less bullet drop, faster bullet trajectory, making it easier to hit and giving better accuracy
    Simplified damage system, generally increasing damage at longer range (there is now just normal and long range, instead of normal, medium, and long) - you should be able to kill enemies much easier at longer ranges now
    Increased the damage from headshots to ensure more reliable 1-hit kills against lower tier units
    Increased starting durability of your Nobleman a bit
    Changed Officer revive and Hero Class repair to use a video ad instead of a gold cost
    Added feedback sounds when hitting enemies and when getting head shots
    Added a sensitivity slider option
    Added inverse look options
    Added option to disable double tap quick turn
    Fixed a bug when decommissioning an active officer or dismantling an equipped armor
    Fixed a bug where the Recruits card would summon an army with missing units
    Gold and Ammo packs now activate right away when purchased, if possible
    Bug fixes
    Various other tweaks

9. dunhila

May 6, 2016
    Also uh,just ran into the death penalty basically.If you die with a specific class,you can't use that class for an hour afterwards.That means that you can't choose how to play basically,so yeah the f2p is kicking in harder and harder as you progress.It doesn't look very balanced nor user friendly.Armies started taking longer to come back from campaigns and overall it would appear the game is progressing faster than the player.Does anyone know what happens if you lose a skirmish?Do you reset the level or just lose the battle and have to try again?I am just asking if there is an infinite way to grind to get better items in the game because other than those little rewards you get every once in a while,things are starting to look grim.I am considering purchasing a package for real money but that might be the last time I play a Foursaken Media game.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Looks like a frickin fantastic first update... love seeing your games grow!

(Btw those ghouls are pretty nasty!)

11. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

See the first update: we're changing the death penalty (repairing classes and reviving officers) to be a video ad instead of gold. The original idea wasn't to get people to pay, but to add value to the classes (they generally have better equipment, and have additional perks over the standard class).

There is no penalty for losing a skirmish - you can play as much as you want, and lose as much as you want. There is a whole reward system tied to Skirmish missions (you'll get a tutorial after you play a skirmish mission) where you can get some good rewards based on your progress. You also get huge (increasingly large) chunks of global XP and gold as you increase your skirmish level.

Ultimately there is never a time where you cannot play, and there is never a time where you cannot progress (whether its via campaign or skirmish).

Re: game progressing too fast, remember there is always the "easy" difficulty, which we specifically added to allow for a more casual option so that players could play at their own pace, no matter what. And of course there is skirmish, which you can also progress at your own pace and lose as much as you need to.

12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Oh now i understood thank u :)
    With the first update i am going to buy the starter pack to support you guys. Keep up the excellent work! :)

13. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thank you - we're going to be looking into some battery solutions over the weekend and next week - will have more on that soon!

14. dunhila

May 6, 2016
    I am jumping on the support train too and will buy a pack to help you out after seeing how fast you were to respond to our concerns about the f2p elements.Guys I have deep trust in you in hoping you continue to make great games like this one and also keep the player in mind.Hope I am not wrong in supporting you in the future.

15. woogoat

woogoat Active Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Great work on the game. Adding to the feedback requesting controller support :D

16. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I've given up on this game, unfortunately the oneshot protection doesn't seem to work for me half the time, sometimes I drop down to 1 health and get temporary invulnerability, sometimes I just die outright.

I just didn't feel like rolling the dice and spend money on lootboxes and whatnot that don't even guarantee the upgrades I need.

Oh and to all the smug smartguys here who are like "by grinding do you mean playing the game?" - Yes that's exactly what I mean, I have never in my life encountered a game that you could grind without playing it. Have you?

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

No problem, thanks for playing!

Note that easy difficulty has a 75% damage reduction, which means the average enemy deals around 10 damage (i.e. Around 8-10 hits to kill your hero). For the first update we've also increased starting health and actually fixed a bug with the fail safe mechanic you mentioned.

Also, the game definitely is less about stats in general and more about really picking where, when, and how to jump from cover to cover. Lethality has always been a factor in this game before we had anything but the battles. Honestly, even if you made some purchases it wouldn't change that fact much - so definitely glad you didn't go that route.

Again, thanks for giving it a go.

18. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi fm have u discovered What's causing the massive batt drain!? Remember this was an issue on war tortoise I assume u using the same dev tool. Now war tortoise is very optimized no more batt drain.
    The batt drain over here is no joke! I need my phone for other stuffs too #

19. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    As a buyer of every FM game to date I just don't get this one...maybe it's because I'm just rushing to kill the enemy and not using the tactical stuff..it just feels really janky to me (I don't think playing on a 12.9 iPad Pro helps either).

P.s How do I know how much resource (to move) my army has and how do I replenish it if they run out on the map screen?

20. Silver99

Silver99 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Going to get this. I LOVE how this developer tries something different. War Tortoise wasnt my style of game but the concept and design of that was amazing too.
    I rarely do well but have a ball running around in their games. Whereas another plain old puzzle game, or clone of some popular idea makes me snore.
    will drop some money on this once I get a chance to play.

And the jazzed-up pseudo history steampunk theme! :D