No YouTube app on iOS6

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lord-sam, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    What do you guys all think about the YouTube app being pulled from iOS after all these years?

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It would be a problem for me if there was no replacement, but if what I read earlier is correct, Google is working on a new Youtube app to put on the App Store.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wait, whaaat? The YouTube app is probably my most-used app that comes pre-installed! Besides the App Store, of course...

But yeah, if there's a good replacement, I'd be ok.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well I use the mobile site of YouTube anyway except when looking at most viewed videos. I find mobile site's feed better

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    If the Android version of the youtube app is anything to go by it will suck, the last update they actually took away the ability to play HQ videos and turned it from ok to unusable. They also seem to censor out any official music videos through the app.

The only bright side for me is I can still use the proper youtube in my browser but on IOS that will be problematic I think as only 10% of videos are truely flash free.

6. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    The app is what got me addicted to YouTube I can't stand the website or mobile site. Upset about this news however we could use an updated app. I just hope it's not filled with ads. One main reason why I like the app is no ads!

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There are very few (almost none) official music videos on the iOS YouTube client either. It's because they use Mobile YouTube which, as far as I know, requires a separate license.

8. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    The YouTube app is the most used app for me too. I hope they replace it with a better one like being able to see likes/dislikes bar instead of percentage cuz it feels old. I liked the IOS version more than the droid because of the cleaner layout.

9. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wait... people actually use that crappy youtube app. It's terrible. buffer times are crud and video quality over 3G sucks. Just use the mobile website its 10x better...

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I use Protube anyways, the Youtube app is horrible.

11. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Too lazy to type in YouTube, which I just did right now and I don't really see much difference maybe because I'm not some technical person who can notice these things.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I won't miss it. The mobile site seems at least as good, so the app is redundant.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Same

14. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I never have loading issues but I use wifi. No buffering it starts instantly.

15. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    poor app anyway. its almost as useless to me as the magazine kiosk app, whatever its name is :)

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm sure Google will make their own YouTube app, and really they should be the one making it and updating it seeing how they own YouTube. Well, maybe they made the iOS one - I'm not sure, but there will be more timely updates and improvements to the app if it's a normal app you download instead of something that only gets updated when there's an iOS update.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hate newsstand. Just takes up space on my springboard.

18. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Indeed. Google is doing their own.

19. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

This is a huge blow for me. I use the YouTube very often and now Google's alternative will be filled with ads.

20. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The perk with Apple's app is that it's ad-free. I reckon we'll see some sort of ad, or the obligatory data-harvesting, in Google's alternative app.

I'm personally hoping we see a jailbreak tweak that reenables the old app, so long as the APIs still work and aren't turned off on Google's end.