"No retina display, no sale!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010.

1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Posts in this thread:
    da shiz wiz 19 2
    The Bat Outta Hell 8
    tsharpfilm 30

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    There he goes again...

3. ro.apple

ro.apple New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    the retina display is the best small display that I have EVER used, i dont touch my iPod Touch 3G anymore.

Perfect Graphics on games with retina display, so as someone before has allready said.

If I were to have a choice with 2 apps, one with retina and one without then I WILL choose retina.

To hell with the blocky text through out the display. retina takes priority every time.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't why you're bringing religion into this. This thread fails enough without you trying to prosletize us.

5. shakra

shakra Member

Sep 11, 2009
    As a developer myself I can see how other devs would be upset if they spent months making a game only to get poor reviews because their art assets weren't high enough quality, but to be honest I agree with most people that low res graphics on the new screens sucks.

I've always made my art assets high rez and scaled down anyway, which I assume is what most larger dev companies do. Vector art ftw.

6. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #126 tsharpfilm, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Fair enough.

I finally bought Modern Combat 2 today, and the high quality 960×640 graphics do look amazing.

The main points I was trying to make in this thread were 1) Making retina compatible graphics often takes a lot of work. 2) Not all game engines can perform well on an iDevice at retina resolution. 3) We shouldn't 1 star a game just because it doesn't utilize all of the features on our fancy new devices.

Hell... Even though I thought Canabalt was boring and overhyped, I still gave it a 3 star rating. It was fun for the short time I played it. 1 star ratings should be reserved only for the WORST games.

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #127 The Bat Outta Hell, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Nom Nom Nom

[​IMG]