"No retina display, no sale!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Risco

Risco Member

Oct 6, 2010
    You do not need 60fps on the iPhone. With motion blur, 30fps can be perfectly acceptable, assuming of course iPhone can do this? Secondly, Gameloft have successfully updated older games without losing performance, and even gaining it. They are the benchmark for me, the majority of my games are from them as they are mostly at full resolution. Their games look great graphically as well and they really seem to have the iPhone down to a tee. I also purchases games if I see it has been updated for retina support, so it is certainly a good sales pitch for me.

I would never punish smaller devs at all. I don't mind if you want to charge a bit more even if it is £5.99. As I said before Gameloft are the benchmark, you may want to look in to their engine to see how well it scales with iPhone hardware.

One thing I do hate though is slowdown, which Fifa 11 has been a classic case of how not to do a game. Looks lovely, but runs like a dog on my iPhone 4.

2. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    I can tolerate playing non-retina games, and I don't expect developers to go back and update them, although it would be nice. But going forward, I won't buy anything that isn't retina. There are already more good retina-enabled games out there than I have time to play.

3. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Something that I haven't seen brought up: the iPhone 3GS already had antialiasing and almost none of te developers implemented this in their games. Once the iPhone 4 came out even games with anti aliasing looked pretty great. Real racing and abstract wars are amongst some of the ones I remember. So if you're saying that developers have had very lil time to implement better graphics into their games, well even iftheyre not retina, I think they couldve done "something" to make t better. I won't punish a developer for it. But it does bother me when I'm buying games like from a 14 yr old kid ( abstacts wars) that looks and plays betterthan from a game from Activision ( geometry wars) IMO

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128

I agree with everything you said here. I'd never rate an app poorly because it doesn't have retina display. If developers don't choose to support retina display because they can't afford it then fair enough, but retina display support is a BIG influence in my app purchases. Most games I've bought since I got my iPhone 4 have supported the retina display. I very rarely buy a game without retina display now. It's a good way of controlling the app addiction and it's nice to have everything in retina display from the start because I'm sure in the future, every app released will support it.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Young iPhone gamer: I agree with what you're saying, but you're going about it the wrong way.
    Person who lacks the ability to read (tsharpfilm): STOP DISAAGREEING WITH ME!!!

Young iPhone gamer: I'm not disagreeing with you, did you not read my post?
    Person who lacks ability to read: STOP DISAGREEING WITH ME!!!

Young iPhone gamer (who incidentally is probably older than tsharpfilm): Please be quiet. I have already said that I agree with what you're saying, but that you're going about it the wrong way and all you're doing in return is insulting me.
    Person who lacks ability to read: GGRGARRAHGA AGREE WITH ME DAMMIT!!!!!!

As I have said many times before; I don't care whether a game has retina display support or not,
    I know that there are reasons why developers have non-retina apps
    And I don't even rate apps on the AppStore unless it's a good review so unless you can somehow show me any different, SHUT UP.

6. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    ^^^lol:p

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Well then, this thread isn't directed at you...

It's directed at people like this:

boohoo1.jpg
    [click to enlarge]

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    So it was directed at people not on this site?

9. StrangeCat

StrangeCat Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    It depends upon the choice of the people. if someone doesn't like games without retina, he may not download it. But downloading it and rating it 1 star because of retina is not right. People should understand the effort behind making a game by the developer.

Games without retina are not that bad looking! :)

10. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    You know, quoting people out of context is clever.

If it was something like Canabalt which is cheap then maybe they are stupid.

But if it's something like Sonic 4 then they are justified to have complaints.

11. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    LOL, after about a minute of looking, the review where the game without retina is described as 'overpriced garbage' IS Sonic 4. ;)

12. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    canabalt isnt worth three bucks!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

13. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    There are people on this site who share his opinion.

Do you think Sonic 4 would have been able to play at a solid frame rate, on an iDevice, at retina resolution? Think about it. Even at so-called "old resolution" some people have reported minor dips in playback.

Well, in my opinion, it's not. And Doodle Jump, Cut The Rope, and Fruit Ninja are worth more than $0.99. And Jet Car Stunts and Zen Bound 2 should be at least $5. But that's all personal opinion.

But what's not personal opinion is the fact that it takes a lot of work to upgrade an already existing game for retina display. And development on Sonic 4 started as early as September 2009. A lot of work had already been completed, and they probably couldn't find a way to make Sonic run fast enough on an iDevice at retina resolution.

Do any of you understand how much processing power and code juggling it takes to run a graphically dense game at high speeds on a high resolution display?

14. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Hey! That's my review....

Just-kidding

15. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    That IS a personal opinion. It's a subjective statement that you believe that retina display upgrades take a lot of work to complete.

Nevertheless, it's the consumer's choice whether or not they will buy an app with retina display. It's THEIR opinion whether or not something is still worth buying if it doesn't have retina display.

I'm just surprised that you still think people will care about what you have to say after you tried to convince everyone that Canabalt wasn't worth what the developer thought it was worth.

That's why I originally said your thread was hypocritical, as you are surprised/angry that people don't think an app is worth buying unless it fits their personal desires.

16. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I can't believe this thread's still going...

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I agree with this here. The amount of work varies from developer to developer, and it is very dependent on how the app's graphics were originally made.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=68286

18. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    The Bat Outta Hell: "YOUR A HIPPOCRIT!! YOO TALK'D BOUT CANABALTS, LIKE, A YEER AGO, D00D!! NO FAIR!!"

Don't you have anything better to do with your time, Mr. 14 Posts Per Day? :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to add a little religion to your life.

19. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This has got to be the stupidest post I've read yet.

20. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    It's not my fault. The Bat Out of Hell and da shiz wiz 19 keep bumping it.