"No retina display, no sale!"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010.

1. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    *points and laughs*

:D

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    my favorite game still has no retina displey suppert

3. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #23 tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Or it'll make them say "Why should we bother with these ungrateful iDevice users? We're already giving them the games at a fraction of the regular costs. To hell with this. Let's take our business to the Droid Market."

I'm glad some of you understand that. Too many don't though, and whine even about 2008 and 2009 releases not having retina compatible graphics. They don't realize how much work it takes to increase and optimize the graphics quality of a game.

Like Sonic 4? Maybe SEGA didn't see a point in making 3 different versions of Sonic; 1 for old devices, 1 for 2nd and 3rd generation devices, and one just for devices with retina display. They're already underselling the game, and offering 2 levels that aren't available in the other versions. That SHOULD be enough to satisfy many of you...

Jealous? How?

4. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Every game that comes out should have retina. I can't stand looking at non retina games. Touch Grind looks absolutely horrible. I have gotten so use to retina, I can't even look at my iPod Touch 2g.

5. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    As in the sonic thread, I'm not buying anything without retina anymore, and I'm enjoying the savings, especially in said case :). Enough other games to play for now anyway ... especially with Pocket Frogs.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    lol, I told you to post it in the Game Discussion. Much more entertaining than the lounge.

7. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    do games without retina display look worse on 4th gen devices than they do on 3rd gen devices?

or is it just that games with retina display look so good they make other games look worse?

what i mean is, is it a mental thing or an actual physical difference?

does touchgrind look the same on an iphone 3gs as it does on an iphone 4?

8. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I have the exact same device as you... Why is it that I'm able to tolerate non-retina games, but you can't? Think about it. You're being nitpicky.

9. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    physical difference. non retina games look pixellated

10. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    That is ridiculous. The games aren't monstrosities to look at. I'll agree that more games should support it, it isn't and never will be a deciding factor of why I will or wont buy a game. That decision is made on the game play, if its fun. Hell, I still whip out my n64 games, but those are probably locked in your cellar for being too hideous ;)

11. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Yeah they do. But so what? If the game is based on a creative concept, has intuitive and responsive controls, and is fun to play, why should a few visible pixels be a complete deal breaker?

12. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    qft.

Edit: but seriously, please stop making these threads.

13. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    That's not an answer to my question.

Why is it that I'm able to tolerate non-retina games, but you can't?

Think about it. The problem isn't with the developers. The problem is with you.

14. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Well, it's complicated. It isn't the fact of your eyes getting used to double pixels and therefore something older is uglier, but that is partially true. But when your running a game on the iPad in 2x it looks 2x enlarged. Imagine that, but scaled down, yet the pixels don't adjust so it's still at 2x but smaller. It's hard to understand but things do look uglier. I'm not saying all games have to have it, but people complain about graphics on the ps3 360 and ski and of and Mac and whatever else, and were not aloud to do it here, on a gaming forum...ha.

Now if youll excuse me I shall go 'complain' by opening a new thread about the OP complaining.

15. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #35 tsharpfilm, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    What are you even talking about?

I've played a few non-retina games on my iPod touch 4G. I'm not sure exactly how many non-retina games I've played though because I'm usually too busy enjoying the game to notice areas that might have pixelation.

I'll admit, text definitely looks better on a retina display. It's much easier on the eyes, and easier to read without having to zoom in. But when it comes to full screen graphics, the difference isn't that drastic. You have to understand that noticing something like pixel quality comes from an extreme form of nitpickiness. The average person, a normal person, wouldn't even notice such thing.

Now if you guys want to run big developers like EA and SEGA out of the app store just because they aren't currently catering to the device that you bought just a few months ago, go ahead. But personally, I think it would be much wiser to practice a little patience and appreciation.

16. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I CAN YOU IDIOT!

Sorry about that, but what I am 'quoting for truth' is the fact that I somewhat agree with what you're saying, and that I have no problem with playing non-retina games just because they are non-retina.

But seeing as how you're saying that I have a problem for agreeing with you, you are obviously saying that you disagree with yourself and that you in fact are one of the very people you strive to antagonize with your many many many many threads about why people don't buy games due to lack of retina support... savvy?

17. Zack101

Zack101 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    How do yokbow what I buy? You don't know me.
    And it's really not a big deal and you sir are making a mountain out of a mole hill so Shut up!

18. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I actually love retina display on my iPod touch. Just adds an extra oomph to games compared to my old iPods. That's why I'm glad gameloft has most of there games with retina, just sharp and fun to show off to friends.

19. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    And I'm one of them. I love retina display.

Yep.

Apple is a very progressive company, probably more-so than Sony and Microsoft. They release new technologies every year, and it's probably hard for a lot of developers to keep up with their pace.

You can't expect every game, or games that have already been in development for a year, to immediately jump on the "retina display" bandwagon. You have to give the developers time to get used to the new display, optimize their graphics engines so their games can perform well with it, and so on.

In the meantime, yes. That's what I've been doing. No rush. We'll have plenty more retina compatible games soon enough.

I just played a non-retina game for the last 45 minutes and I was able to tolerate it just fine. It's not that big of a problem if you don't make it one.

20. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's our choice to buy what games we please. Comments requesting retina support before buying encourage developers to add it to their games. Sorry you can't afford a shiny new iPhone 4 or itouch 4g, but if you could and owned one, then you would have a real right to comment on if a game looks acceptable on the device. Stop trying to tell people what to say, it's absurd that you think you have any authority to assert judgment on a topic in which you hold no stake in, as you clearly dont have a retina supported device