No Game Center, Why is it that a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kleerkoat, Jul 12, 2015.

1. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    just curious and not trolling.

I see a lot of comments about Game Center. It would seem like not having it is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I'm curious why? I don't ever open it or have friends so I don't really know what it offers other than high score rankings.

About the only deal breaker for me are games with a large install size without iCloud game saves.

I absolutely love Card Crawl, probably in my top five iOS games. But I quit playing and won't go back after having to delete to install something I needed the space for temporarily.

2. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Seems like games can use GameCenter instead of Facebook to continue progress between devices - which I think a lot of people prefer?

3. kleerkoat

kleerkoat Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I thought only iCloud saves let you play cross device?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Some players like the global hi-scores gamecenter provides. Some like to compare with friends and gamecenter provides that as well.

Then there are some that are into completing achievements, and game center provides a universal way to tal your achievement points across all games that have it.

Although this may not be a popular reason to want GC, it also provides a non-intrusive way to connect multiplayer games together.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Without achievements (and a leaderboard), a game is limited by the content the developers have put into the package.
    Well-made achievements (and again, a leaderboard) extend the life of a game and let players get more mileage out of the content.

Then there's the typical sense-of-achievement yadda yadda.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So do these people not play any emulators as there no achievements ?

A nice to have I can understand but people avoiding games unless there achievements is crazy

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I wouldnt call that crazy, but i dont think there's a better word either. :D

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    For me, game center depends on the game. An RPG, I could care less. However, a game that is short, and has essentially only one way through the game, well done achievements add to the desire to play the game again. There are not too many short games that I played through once that I have long lasting good feelings about - or else I wish that there would be something that would make replaying the game have some freshness to it - clever, well thought out achievements can accomplish that.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    What is a "yadda yadda"? o_O

10. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Watch Seinfeld :��

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
  12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Personally, I could care less about it. Don't need it, don't use it, did I say I don't care about it? :eek:

13. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    There is a difference between a platform that has no gamecenter and a platform that does. Achievements add to the replay ability of a game for me, and more points is always a warm fuzzy feeling heh.

My question would be to flip this around and ask developers why they don't add gamecenter to their games? Achievements would add a lot of replay ability and incentive on the players part to keep playing many of these games (especially the free to play ones).