Apple TV No brainer ports, where are they?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Erik Veland, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Erik Veland

Erik Veland Active Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Where are:
    • GTA: Vice City
    • GTA: San Andreas
    • Bioshock
    • Sonic 1 + 2 + CD (The Christian Whitehead versions)
    • Atari's Greatest Hits
    • Another World
    • Final Freeway 2R
    • PacMan 256
    • Tiny Wings
    • Shooty Skies
    • Space Invaders Infinity Gene
    • Castle of Illusions Starring Mickey Mouse
    • DuckTales: Remastered
    • Pitfall
    • Galaga 30th Collection
    • PAC-MAN Championship Edition
    • Snowboard Party 2
    • Any racing game (preferably kart and arcade racers, split screen multiplayer please)

You know, any game that would be enhanced by sitting in front of a huge screen with a controller in your hand.

Any you want to add? Suggestions of how to approach developers?

2. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Give it time? I upgraded for the streaming, gaming was a nice lil bonus, but I wouldn't expect to see devs take it serious for awhile. Hopefully I'm wrong!

3. unlimitedfury

unlimitedfury Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2014
    It would be awesome to be able to convince/raise awareness for devs to speed up the process but hopefully they will do it in time. Apple didn't give the whole truth in saying it is super easy just to port iOS to tvOS, more complicated than what was first thought. You can look up nvidia shield game listings and anything on there already on iOS should come eventually. GTA, Final Fantasy, and I think KOTOR are ones I remember. It sucks but the time investment for a lot of devs to port to Apple TV probably won't equate with much profit at all. The fact that fireplace apps are charting should let you know that. Premium games just don't make as much money as FTP. Hope that answer helps!

4. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I think one of the biggest hurdles is that any moderately complex game will have trouble porting controls over to the Siri Remote. And if they don't get the Siri controls right, the reviews will suffer.

5. Pelted

Pelted New Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yup... controller is the biggest issue here. I've been poking through the TV OS SDK and I'm just not a fan of motion based control schemes for many use cases. I can imagine this is a big sticking point for many developers right now. It is a bit frustrating though when you look at something like Guitar Hero which essentially requires a $100 controller, yet Apple is forcing less headline devs to provide a full experience of for uses with just the TV remote.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    All those point and click adventure games would be ideal for the Apple TV. Also those hidden picture games.

7. Wonder_Maru_R

Wonder_Maru_R Member

Dec 8, 2015
    game designer
    Los Angeles, CA
    As far as I understood, Apple requires any game on Apple TV to support the remote as a controller. So while GTA and many other games would be GREAT with a mfi controller, can you imagine hanging around in vice city or San Andreas using the remote? Weird to say the least.
    On the other hand, I understand apple's point, they can't sell apps the can't be used with the standard device set. But about that, how does guitar hero work? Or Disney infinity? How can you play those without buying the extra gadgets?

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Apple got it backwards. They should have insisted on MFi controller support by default and Apple Remote as optional. The distinguishing feature for Apple TV 4 is the ability to play games.

Infinity works without the base set. It wants the player to set up some kind of account before allowing saves but the gameplay seems like those generic 3rd party licensed kind of gameplay. No idea about Guitar Hero, didn't download that.

9. Erik Veland

Erik Veland Active Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Yeah, Guitar Hero requirer its OWN remote (the guitar), which I find somehow more objectionable than simply requiring any MFI controller.

Not sure how they justify that TBQH.

10. shammi

shammi Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Game developer
    Redmond, WA
    I noticed you included Tiny Wings.

There are a bunch of really nice casual games out there.

Here are some suggestions..
    - Mr. Crab
    - Breakfinity
    - Moto Wheelie
    - Crossy Road
    - Jet Pack Joyride
    - Doodle Jump Race

11. Wonder_Maru_R

Wonder_Maru_R Member

Dec 8, 2015
    game designer
    Los Angeles, CA
    That doesn't make any sense then :/
    That's a very specific device you can you just in that game (or that series, if there will be one), and they ask other games to support the remote while a mfi controller lets people play an endless amount of games? I don't get it.