Universal [NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pony, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    its netherlands :) NL

2. GeometryPrime

GeometryPrime Member

May 9, 2016
    #103 GeometryPrime, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    @Tobi: Great game! Now that I've played it some, I have feedback.

So I actually played the game - I figured I should play it myself before judging it.

First off, Fishlabs nailed the controls and the general feel of flight. GOF3 wins in the one place GOF2 lost: Fighting feels fast and intense and not like slow turnfighting. It's fantastic. weaving in and out of fire is so much more satisfying, fast-paced, and, well, fun! Graphics are fantastic, UI design is brilliant, and overall I really like this game!

It doesn't make a very god first impression, though. you're gonna have some harsh app store reviews. I myself was taken aback when I saw a two hour repair time on my Groza after one fight. It didn't take me long to figure out that the time is static and doesn't scale with how much the ship needs repairing, but you might want to tone that down a bit.

Speaking of which,another thing which might hold the game back is the excessive tutorial. Never, and I mean NEVER, lock people out of options when they haven't reached that point in the tutorial. IT makes the game feel cheap and on rails, which this certainly isn't. That isn't an impression you want to leave on people.

Finally, and probably most importantly, this game needs a 'roam' mode. Even if it's just "click on a sector and hit 'explore,'" it needs this badly. A big part of these kinds of games is feeling in control of your ship. Give us some of that control! Let's use some of those jumpgates we've got scattered around! Maybe some sporadic pirate attacks while you're out in the black, and maybe this should wait until mining is implemented, but it needs to happen at some point.

There we go. Ease up on the "ship repair" timers (they hit really hard early game), unlock controls in the tutorial, and I say ship it worldwide! This gets my GeometryPrime Seal of a Good Game.

I'd rather you fixed those things, though. Oh, and will it release for Android?

3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Just began construction of my second ship. Took two full repair sessions on my starter ship to save up everything I needed for the second ship. In that time I've also killed two lesser named targets.

4. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    grind more :D several new weapon blueprint is coming :D and the credit cost of the new ship it's expensive a bit than the old ship :D

5. kipbuis

kipbuis Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2013
    #106 kipbuis, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Just my 2 cents worth .. I personally hate IAP and all these timers the new games come with.

All the games I own are pay once and play even if it's an IAP feature.

So many great titles ruined by IAP like dungeon hunter, plants vs zombies, real racing, madden football, fifa.. And now add GoF 3 as well.

Some of my fav games I've bought are Oceanhorn, titan quest, implosion MHFU and Starwars KOTOR these are games that are great and worth the money.

It's hard to believe that say the company that released Oceanhorn is not doing well financially and IAP is the way forward I just don't believe that point of view

I don't even read the forums for EA and Gameloft games anymore.

I'll stay away from this game for now..

6. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    The best thing about the game is flying through stations

But there are a lot of bad things.. There are only 3 missions, of which the cargo ones fits me the most (maybe they are too easy?). There are 3 more (sprint, guarding jump zone and arena) but they are too easy and aren't always available so I repeat the cargo ones which is boring (all missions pay the same), also sou don't unlock equipment fast enough so you are limited to 2-3 weapons for a long time

7. WjndWalk3r

Apr 22, 2015
    I think we will stealthy unlock more in the game, because today it's the first time i encounter the new gameplay, i don't remember it's name, but it's a special sprint one, with laser and mine around you, you must try to reach the light gate and survive all :D

8. Derp derp

Derp derp New Member

Jul 2, 2016
    @Tobi

Any chance you could do an optional monthly subscription model? I would gladly pay 5-7 bucks a month to get full access. Advantage for you guys is a steady predictable income stream.

9. GeometryPrime

GeometryPrime Member

May 9, 2016
    Ship repair is a bit much

I've been playing GOF3 and I've repaired my Groza twice.

This means I've spent four hours Repairing to one hour actually flying. This is ridiculous. Maybe cut down on repair times, or make the ship lose integrity more slowly? Tobi said they want us playing the game more than waiting on timers. Well, on that count you failed by a 4:1 ratio. I'm spending four times as much time waiting as I am flying.

This needs fixing or people will abandon this game quickly. Is there an official place where I can give feedback?

10. WjndWalk3r

Apr 22, 2015
    You can change to another ship when you get more than 1, playing 1 and repair another ;) When you use your friend as your wingman, you will regen half of ship integrity use on that mission. And finally, difference ship have difference integrity cost :D I use Groza for sprint and less dangerous misson because she fragile but cost less integrity than Moornta.

11. GeometryPrime

GeometryPrime Member

May 9, 2016
    I still feel like the ratio is off. It might make more sense in the late game - more ships to swap in and out of - but this game makes a terrible first impression.

I'll have my Moornta in a few minutes, though, so that's good.

12. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Yeah I've already faced this one before writing the post - right after building the 2nd ship

13. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    GOF2 is one of my favorite games on any platform and I'm glad Fishlabs survived another day to make this sequel possible. I'm really looking forward to it. So it has always online and in app purchases? So What? If the world feels more alive and less like a spreadsheet as a result, I say that's fine -- especially if it supports this fine developer.

Will cross-play with Android or Windows devices be possible like with many online games?

14. Elensil

Elensil Active Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Please read more, the world doesn't feel more alive, there's no free travel. Instead there's a central UI hub (think RR3), which is used to launch missions. Since there's no more trading or mining, grinding missions is the only source of funds.

There's are different ways to implement IAP, and we would like to (if possible) to make sure that implementation is not heavy handed. Please do not add UI prompts to spend Secondary and Tertiary (!?) currency every time the player is shut down!!!

I love GoF2 as well, very happy that Fishlabs are still afloat. Would happily financially support them in the future.

15. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

The problem is that there is no longer a "world" in this game. It's more like a billboard where you jump into missions. You can't explore, fly where you wish, mine or trade. There's nothing alive about it, rather the opposite.

16. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    #117 Gunther4C, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    GOF3 Synopsis/Summary/Review

This comment is coming from someone who paid $10 for GOF2 when it came out and logged 120+ hours and bought all DLC for the game and played multiple files and beat the game many times. I consider myself a long time and dedicated fan.

LONG STORY SHORT = "HOW THE CRAP CAN YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT PUTTING THIS JOKE OUT TO PLAY BASED UPON WHAT YOU DID WITH GOF2?!?LIKE WTF HAPPENED?!?!? EVERYTHING WENT SOOO WRONG!!!!"

@Tobi, be sure to see my last comment above any of my edits.

WARNING, the post below may be considered very rude and extremely rantish. I'm in rage mode and about to let it all out. All comments below are based off of my opinions and my impressions. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just had to get it all out. I needed to vent and steam. I use a rude vocabulary and go full on beast rage mode. I'm well aware I'm about to go "over the top" haha. Brace yourselves. This reviews an intense one and will probably be perceived as offensive. You've been warned...

The game left me wanting more. I craved want GOF2 left behind, so much in fact I had to wash my saltiness out with this great game. and wandering how they could've possibly put this out and felt okay with this kind of a direction, I would've felt like an absolute piece of crap for releasing a sequel like this after so many years. This game went from full on RPG, Open World, Soace Trading game to a full on FarmVille/Angry Birds 5-10min quick fix. We'll see if updates can't save this game. As of now. I've deleted and re-installed GOF2 HD. After putting in 4-6 hour of gameplay aside from the stupid model (basically energy system) of ship repairs. This game holds you back so hard. Well sure, I can switch ships and wait 2 freaking hours (OR MORE). But I don't want to, I want to play with the ship I've put all my time and currency into, my baby. Not my neglected ship I kicked under the curb.This game will be the bullet that ends what's known as fish labs. This game was obviously a cash grab with fermium models and IAP's...and there's no one way it's going to be successful in its current state which in my opinion will be the downfall of Fishlabs. This game is built around all the things they can do to make as much money as possible. This game, needs, updates....and fast. It's rolling down a long hill and about to hit the bottom if it doesn't get help.

I'd give this game 2/10. I'll save my money, was really going to purchase something meaningful to support the developers. Not cash packages (basically gems) and fast forward speed-up elements to the game. I need to see a comment from a Dev and see how they could defend themselves and this garbage they put out Without using "the markets changed" comment. I know, I get that. But there are other full-premium successfully games that are full paid (some have IAP and some don't) that ARE SUCCESFULL! I feel like this game was the ugly step-child that they hide every time there golden child comes up (GOF2). I was really expecting a step forward. Not 2,4, or more realistic 20 steps back. You couldn't make a lets play series of this game like you could with GOF2

Everything that could've gone wrong with this game did, everything you hoped wouldn't happen to this game happened. I almost dare say that I hope this game fails so the devs can see the kind of mistakes they made and to shove this crap in our faces? Like I'm truly offended? I know, I know, it's a game. But I've spent hundreds of hours across there GOF games and DLC's. And to be presented this? I don't even know what to say. They should've never made the game and made another DLC for GOF2 HD. This is the most mediocre disappoint in mobile history as a comeback game based upon its successors ever.

They basically made Skyrim (GOF2) and then for it successor (GOF3) turned Skyrim into game where you have to have health (stamina) to missions that runs out after awhile making it so you can't play any missions for awhile. And if you die ((destroyed ship) you have to play another character and forced to wait hours later. Oh, want to upgrade your sword? (A ships cannon) well the forge has to heat so you have to wait. But don't stop there! Buy this special potion (gem sort of currency) and this will heat up the forge quicker to make your weapon (skip craft timer thing). Oh hey! You leveled up! You have to wait a few hours before you can apply it though (upgraded weapons and ships). The only way to progress in anything is to constantly grind and grind and grind and grind. And every time you die or complete a random action a guard tries to sell you a shield for $1.99 Oh, and by the way....you can't leave whiterun (manticore hub) we'll just teleport you to the missions zones. But wait, there's more! You now need Internet to play!... I feel this is a good example and good way to look at the core gameplay to see what kind of disappointment I'm talking about. Turning a legendary game into a piece of crap shame. At least jt is for me at its current state.

Cons
    -Tutorial (the tutorial takes FOREVE! And jt locks you out of things u till you finish it. I'm not a baby. You can't even skip it and it holds your hand all the way through, and again. WHY IS IT SO FREAKING LONG?????)
    -Saves (no cloud gaming, not cross play, no game sync, no Facebook to GC login, 1 device and 1 file, a shame. When it's there it doesn't even work)
    -Controls (WTF Happened? There so jarring and jerking and not smooth at all, settings don't even help)
    -Repairs (Really? An energy system? Are you that desperate?)
    -Stamina (yeah, there's basically 2 energy systems....'nough said)
    -Gameplay (Specifically loss of open world, now only controlled levels, no open free roam environments, no trading, no exploring)
    -IAP/Ads (shoved in your face like an animal shelter commercial)
    -Notifications (this freaking game sends 2-3 notifications AT A FREAK TIME every few hours, it's overkill and if wake up with 6 notifications from them, it's annoying !)
    -Grinding (this is what killed me in the end, the games truly Grindy. It becomes a bore after awhile and I didn't care to play anymore)
    -Currency (wow, 3 currencies? Again...WTF???)
    -Mission Design (no storyline, no legit campaign, and all missions FEEL the same in the end, fly here kill him. Done, WTF HAVE YOU DONE WITH YOUR GAME? The storyline feels thrown together to call it a sequel? This is more of an FPS than an RPG)
    -HUB (Really? The game is designed around a central hub they can't even go anywhere else to explore?
    -World (the world is dead empty and all the same, totally flipped from what it used to be)
    -Items (I've played a lot, and quite some time. Are there like 10 ships, 10 Weapons, 10 Equipment...WHAT HAPPENED TO DIVERSITY??)
    -Endgame (I mean is there really anything to strive for after awhile? Without even beating the game it'd get so boring why would you even care to finish it)
    -Replayability(Why the heck would I want to come back? If I deleted and reinstalled I wouldn't want to do it again...hell no...)
    -Online Requirement (Wh-- What were you thinking? Maybe allow some things to do while offline?)
    And the biggest con yet... WHERE THE HELL IS THE TRADING SYSTEM?????????

Pros
    -graphics (this includes environment, stations, ships, overall quality)
    -sounds (not much to say, it sounds good)
    Yeah, that's it. At least for me a die hard fan
    No really, I'm dead serious. That's all that's good and all I enjoyed.

I hope this game gets roasted like COD Infinite Warfare did so they can fix there game. I honestly could talk forever, but I need to breathe and relax, I'm so pissed right now. I'll update my comment tomorrow, I'm only half way through my rant. Yes, I'm fully prepared to be roasted by anyone and everyone. Sorry, this is a FREAKING DIE HARD fan here that just can't handle this.

Go play GOF2 with DLC, Stellar Wandere, FTL, Stat Commander, or anything else really.....

This post below is written the same time as the above review, it sounds like it was edited in later but it's not. I'll write edit when I edit later.

Fish labs, if you made it this far. I love you guys, I love GOF1 and GOF2. I'm glad you stuck around for another game. Even after the whole lay off employee thing. I know, I was pretty rude and harsh in the "review" above. I'm just so passionate about GOF2 I just freaked out. I still support whatever you do, just not this game, not now. Good luck to ya guys. I had to get it all out and I may have been so mad I may have reported false info. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or too naive to see how I'm being ignorantly stupid. Oh, and about wanting to get this game roasted? I do, because I want you to do Somethjng Abuout jt and fix it. Im prepared to be roasted. Haha, again, I just had to get all my thoughts out. I'm sure I went over the top, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from. Hope to see a lot of changes!

EDIT
    no, I have not read all the posts on all the pages, only about the first dozen and the last 6 posts. I have probably ranted in what's already been ranged on. Sorry. Don't want to read 100 comments to catch up.

17. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    The reviews in the app store is really terrible...

18. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Company Goals VS Customer Needs

^: Don't be afraid to express how you feel; most of us hardcore Galaxy on Fire fans can totally relate.

^: I know how you feel; when this game's development was first announced, I had suggested on numerous occasions that they keep the spirit of Galaxy on Fire 2 in order to make the true successor -- "Galaxy on Fire 3" (not Manticore). Unfortunately, Deep Silver FISHLABS kept quiet on this subject and instead tried to encourage fans to prepare for a "whole new adventure in the Galaxy on Fire universe". Excuses like "we cannot say for sure at the moment" when clearly they had already started development using the current monetization model that we all know so well, simply doesn't bode well. They could have been more upfront by telling us in the beginning what to expect rather than getting the fans' hopes up....I should have seen this coming, actually I did, but was trying my best to deny it. I personally don't think telling us the "bad news" beforehand would have affected sales anymore than it did now.

^: I totally know how you feel, but there will be people that may try to attack your response with the "entitlement" card. We the fans, the customers, also have feelings. I too, wanted to support Deep Silver FISHLABS's Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore game, in fact, I would have purchased some of their In-App Purchases (IAPs) if only they'd at least give us a chance to play the game OFFLINE (in non-multiplayer situations) despite it being radically different from that of the previous Galaxy on Fire games. Their answer is firm, and that is a no. It's nearly impossible for a small group of individuals to trump a company's decision, so all of my posts in this thread were essentially fruitless, and unfortunately, your post will also be treated as such.

^: Yes, I know, and it's a change that Deep Silver FISHLABS expects us all to embrace. "In time, they'll come around" is the philosophy of this business practice. They look forward to the future base; as they have left the past (along with loyal fans) behind. It's sad, I know, but a company's sole purpose is to make money; this is fact.

^: Believe me, I've tried to get Deep Silver FISHLABS to look at and assess this issue, but they will NOT implement an OFFLINE mode. It is written in stone.

^: This is likely a team of new developers, as old developers would probably have either walked away from project Manticore OR the company handpicked new fresh developers with a clean record eager to work on just about any project. Tobi, being the Deep Silver FISHLABS Marketing Manager of sorts, is only here to communicate with potential customers and gather info/feedback to be relayed to the developers and/or higher management of the company. The devs are only doing their job while the decisions are made by the CEO, and I'm not sure if they are even allowed to make comments here. After FISHLABS filed for insolvency, their goals have become clear, no matter the influence from the outside. The company will not do anything that's not in its best interest. Our feedback is but a reference and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the actual decision-making. Don't believe me? Well, if 90% of the potential customer base asked Deep Silver FISHLABS to allow parts of the core game to be played OFFLINE (when not doing anything online-related), I can assure you that they won't do it. The company direction is firm.

19. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for reading the whole thing, impressive really. I feel like this game will be the deciding factor for the company. And to out this out? This could be the last bullet in the clip that ends fish labs which is really sad. Imagine the GOF3 we could've and would've had if it was made 4 years ago.....oh it just makes me sad. I feel like they wanted everyone to just forget GOF2 even happened and to just accept GOF3. Well, that would've worked if this game was just called GOF: Manticore. I think it would've been more successful if it wasn't seen as a true sequel. But, it is. And that's what's killed this game. This game is so radically different they just expected everyone to get over it and love it for what it is. I feel like they just said "screw the fans, the veterans, and the original players, they'll have to buy and love this game anyways because this is what we're force feeding them." This game is honestly probably the end of fish labs as it sounds like this game was really only made for a cash grab (hence the F2P model and IAP). And I just don't think there going to make money from it and basically shooting themselves in the foot.

It's going to be really interesting how they change and update the game to "improve it" I honestly don't know what they could do to even change my review in the slightest bit.