Universal [NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pony, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I never said you didn't. In fact, that was why I only quoted the very specific portion of your comment where you put down the developer. Do you have anything to support that "fact"?

2. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

The missing gameplay elements aren't an opinion but fact.

3. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    They have every right to make a freemium game the way they like. I think you're very naive.

Regardless, they own the IP and have the right to use it as they wish.

You have the right to play something else, nobody owes you a premium GoF game.

4. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I don't smoke, lol

So, if you did implement this "ENABLE OFFLINE PLAY" IAP and the company actually made an unprecedented surplus in profit, would you then have a marketing revelation?

*calms down and breathes*

I understand where you're coming from, and maybe I've been a bit on edge with this game today (Boardum and Vovin would agree). You could have named this game Galaxy on Fire Alliances: Legends/Heroes, as it would have been more 'appropriate' for today's mobile FREEMIUM game trend, and Deep Silver FISHLABS wouldn't get nearly as much backlash. "Galaxy on Fire 3" is a BIG name and it hits HARD.

Your post explaining some of the features and plans for the game is nothing short of courtesy in wartime; thank you for that.

I am a F2P (Free-To-Play) gamer, and I don't spend real money on In-App Purchases (IAP) in FREEMIUM games unless the game(s) is fun and/or allows OFFLINE play. All premium currency items and such, I would SLOWLY earn in-game and forever be behind all paying players...........for one day, when the servers are shut down, I will have no regrets (other than wasting my time) about money spent on a game that no longer exists, because I will have spent ZERO real money. You put the game out as FREE, hence I'll play it to the maximum extent of FREE. All "whales" (big spenders) and other people who've spent their time and money on a FREEMIUM game's virtual items will have to live with the fact that they've spent thousands on a game that they are no longer capable of playing due to a company decision to shut down the game's server. This is directly connected to the explanation I wrote in an earlier post regarding POST-server shutdown.

I don't usually play many online-only games due to the inconvenience of having to be constantly connected to the internet (it's not just me), and honestly, I have never downloaded GOF: Alliances for that sole reason, but I'll give Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore a try when it is released globally.

This FREEMIUM monetization is the way it is now, so we just gotta take what's given to us. Eli and Boardum will agree.

5. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Of course it's their right. I believe no one said otherwise.

EA (Electronic Arts) did the very same thing with different series. As you said, they own the IP.

As for the naïve part, sure... I rather not comment. :)

6. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I think, the best option now is remove the "3" on the title :D Let it be just "Galaxy on Fire: Manticore" and nobody will have problem :D Be like GabeN don't count to 3 while you can't :D Make this game like a spin-off or an reboot will make fan feel better ;) You guys still have your golden IP "Galaxy on Fire" in that title and still make the fan calm and understand that this game is not what they waiting for the whole time, but it's a new great game and worth trying ;)

7. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    9 pages of ranting both sides, no posts regarding ships, strategy, tricks, builds, weapon stats etc.

Huh.

8. WjndWalk3r

Apr 22, 2015
    I'm building my 2nd ship after so much grinding :) the grinding is strong in this game :D even with very first level of the game. The only trick here is use your money, else just keep grinding :D

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We'll reboot the thread when the game launches worldwide and everyone has all this out of their system. These soft launch threads are almost always a total lost cause these days.

10. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    How long did it take you to get the second ship. And did it feel tiresome towards the end or was there enough variety. We offer a broad variety of mission types in GOF3. We hope that this makes the grind more fun, because you get to visit many differing orbits in which you clear a lot of differing objectives. But, of course, you have to hit the sweet spot there. If collecting blueprint parts drags on for too long, you lose interest even if the tasks you have to achieve are quite entertaining. So we're really thankful for all feedback we can get in this regard.

11. WjndWalk3r

Apr 22, 2015
    It's took me around haft a day :D just grind > wait 2 hour > grind and then finally i decide to use some of mhaan-tiq (less than 100 unit) to buy the rest of bp. And after collect enough bp, i hit the next problem is credit :D i use all of mine to upgrade the first ship :D i save around 6k credit now, still lack of 5k :cool: and feel quite tired. The first buildable stuff must not require this hard grinding :( With this difficult, you guys will not to attract much new player to the game. My idea is First ship = 45 green bp + 8 blue bp + 1 purple bp. The first gun (XCY M-DRIVER MR) = 25 green bp + 4 blue bp

12. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    The two hour wait is indeed communicated badly in the game at the moment. As long as your stamina bar is not completely drained, you don't have to repair your ship. And even when it is drained, you can still continue flying, albeit with reduced stats.

All in all, I agree with you. The first ship should be unlockable rather quickly and easily. But don't worry. We're in soft launch now to gather exactly these insights and balance the game according to actual player behavior. Thanks a lot for your feedback and this little sketch of your gaming experience so far. Stuff like that really helps us to push the right buttons and tighten (or loosen) the correct screws. :)

13. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Tobi don't be too put off. A lot of people here do understand that F2P can be done well in some cases, and I'm sure if you guys can tune it right people will be happy :)

14. Elensil

Elensil Active Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Tilt Controls

Its not apparent from the gameplay video, are there tilt controls in the GoF3?

I am sorry for perhaps ridiculous question, now I'm anxious that the core game is lacking in some way as well.

15. drh1961

drh1961 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I will download this at official launch, I love GOF 2 and will give this a chance.

I'm not rabidly against online requirements, they can be a pain in the ass though.

The thing is I buy mobile games because I'm - what's that word for traveling a lot? - Mobile, yeah, that's it... :p

It appears I will not be able to play this with my device in airplane mode while traveling, this disappoints me greatly.

Playing GOF 2 in airplane mode saved my sanity on a few business trips here and there!

16. Elensil

Elensil Active Member

Sep 22, 2015
    NYC and Always Online games

Here's the reality of a NYC commuter.

Subway runs underground and generally has NO / POOR connection. As someone who spends 2 hours commuting every day, those 2 hours are prime mobile gaming time. No matter how nice and great Always Online games are, they are just not played much due to lack of connectivity. '

I guess I don't have to worry much since Subway is terrible for tilt controls, and trading is no longer a part of the game...

Those of us with jobs and families need to use the time we have, as its hard to carve away dedicated time to enjoy our favorite games.

17. Auhron

Auhron Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Editor
    Berlin
    #97 Auhron, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

18. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    Ok dumb question but i need help

What store on the iTunes App Store is it to make a Netherlands account? I'm going to make one but I don't see one. Is it Dutch?

19. GeometryPrime

GeometryPrime Member

May 9, 2016
    Hey, Tobi!

I've been a fan of Fishlabs since Galaxy on Fire 1, and while this game doesn't quite look like I expected, I'm still optimistic.

First, the things I like. The new controls look good - they don't obscure any of the screen, and the graphics do look very good! The new style you chose - darker, grittier, more serious - is fantastic as well. The missions and environments seem interesting and varied, and that's fantastic as well.

However, I have a few questions to ask.

The first, and probably the simplest, is this: How long do you expect the soft launch period to be - When can I play it on my Android phone?

Second: you say you are willing to support this game further with large expansions. How likely would you say it is for a trading system to be implemented later?

Third: Why was the decision made to drop the open world that Galaxy on fire is famous for? It seems like a very large loss to the experience, and I cannot imagine that that decision was made lightly. Can you explain some of the reasoning behind this decision?

Finally: Do you think that Galaxy on Fire 3 will ever receive this kind of open-world experience in the future, or is that far too large of an expansion to expect?

I'm trying to be optimistic, and I think I will enjoy this game - but it will probably be installed alongside Galaxy on Fire 2 instead of replacing it.

Thanks for all the hard work you clearly put into this game, and I look forward to playing it soon!

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Definitely giving this game some more play time after reading your post.
    Clearly the passion is still there as it's not just about all the money, else you wouldn't be here throwing yourself in front of the lions roaring in outrage haha. My respects for that.
    Personally, I already figured this would happen and it's totally understandable from a business perspective and the way the mobile market works these days.

Really hope the game will receive much greatness in terms of content updates, but also a steady flow of timers, bonusses and IAPS in the future.
    Real Racing 3 seemed nice at first after a few early balance tweaks after its initial release, but then it got really bad after a while and I stopped playing it because of that.
    Hopefully this game will remain reasonable throughout its growth in the future as that is my only real concern if I decide to really invest into this game for the long run.

Regarding my gripe with always online functionality... good to know even Edge is sufficient enough.
    Gaming primary on my iPad and it only has WiFi and some open WiFi's are dreadfully slow. But I will get around by tethering my iPhone if there really isn't free (proper) WiFi around while commuting, so that's cool.