Universal [NL Soft Launch] Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore (by FISHLABS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pony, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#21 Sanuku, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    ATTENTION:

So since this is clear now let's talk about Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore:

I enjoyed playing Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore Rising on my Apple TV even the Game had back then clearly some issues with the limited Remote Controller till Fishlab had added a couple of weeks later the Option to use an different Controller in the Game too.

The Mobile Build of Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore Rising that has now soft-launched earlier this month is as some might have already noticed Free2Play while the Apple TV Build was Pay2Play.

Considering that this came totally unexpected for me I was really suprised when I had realized that the Game had Timers, iAP,... and other features you would expect from an Freemium Title.

But the longer I played earlier today the Mobile Build the more I saw that Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore had improved a lot compered to the Apple TV Build. Fishlabs really did improved the Game not only if it comes to the Core Gameplay Mechanics but too if it comes to the Game Modes InGame and of course too the Graphic Settings which was clearly improved in every aspect I could think of when I compre the Mobile with the Apple TV Build.

As far as i can say after the first hour with the Game the timer never felt like holding me back from moving forward in the Game also some of those seem to increase a lot over time as you upgrade your Ship or your Weapon.

I`ll spent the next couple of days with the Game but as far as I can tell as someone who had spent a lot of time with the Apple TV Build the Mobile Build already felt after the first hour with it a lot better the Apple TV Build and this still suprise me the most :D

2. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    someone should move the post above mine to page 1, then add it to the game description and then mention it in the thread title heh.

otherwise 2 out of every 3 pages of this games thread will be ranting about the ruination of the franchise without realizing this isnt the full 3 we want, thats coming soon.

3. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    #23 Killerluffy246, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Fishlabs - the new Gameloft company, lmao.
    If Im not mistaken, the team that brought us the fantastic Gof 1&2 is not involved in this sequel.

4. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    GOF3 and GOF3 - Manticore

I've emailed Deep Silver FISHLABS inquiring about the development of "Galaxy on Fire 3" (not Manticore), which may be the true predecessor to Galaxy on Fire 2 along with all events that happen in Manticore in one complete premium package. It's broad speculation, but once they respond, I'll confirm with you all the validity of GOF3's development.

5. darrinsden

darrinsden Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Is there iCloud support or other device syncing in this?

6. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Do u work for fishlabs ? If not, may I ask where you get that info from ? Cuz I see that manticore rising is likely a pre sequel which means the proper sequel will be pretty much like it .

7. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Let's hope they have some real stuff there, not Galaxy on fire 4 release on 2017 :(

8. pbogits

pbogits Member

Jun 13, 2010
    First impressions

So I started playing and after the second mission I was told my ship needs repairs. I pay for the repairs and there's a TWO HOUR WAIT. Now they gave me some free premium currency to "move to the front of the line" so I didn't actually have to wait. This time. I will say, after the fun I had with GOF2 I would gladly play premium prices for another game like that. By premium prices I don't mean premium iOS prices, I'm also a pc gamer and I would easily place a game that fun into the 25-40 dollar range.

Maybe I'll play gof2 again :(

9. AnimusApparatus

AnimusApparatus New Member

Jun 30, 2016
    GOF 3 Manticore is GOF3 - no other GOF3 is planned

Some of you wonder if GOF3 Manticore is indeed GOF3 or if the "actual/real" GOF3 will be released later.

GOF3 Manticore is the "actual/real" GOF3. There is no differten GOF3 in development at Fishlabs.

10. AnimusApparatus

Jun 30, 2016
    There is no "other" GOF3 in development which is coming soon.
    GOF3 Manticore is GOF3.

11. AnimusApparatus

Jun 30, 2016
    Repair timers? They must have changed their mind. Tobi, the Community guy from Fishlabs said the following in an discussion on the IAP of GOF3 on Pocketgamer http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Galaxy+on+Fire+3+-+Manticore/feature.asp?c=69251
    "Of course we will work hard to balance our IAPs in a fair and fitting way. After all, we want our players to spend time "in" the game, not "outside" of it waiting for a timer to run down..."

Maybe the feedback of the soft-launch will make them consider removing the repair timers.

12. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I think the game itself it's not it is anymore from the beginning of this project :( Galaxy on Fire it's a sandbox space action game in the past, where player can go everywhere, do what they want, shooting, trading and exploring,...Not sitting in a carrier, choose mission around the galaxy and then watch someone jump hyperdrive to destination for you to shoot and then waiting for the system counting your score :mad: Even if they try to fix by selling one time IAP that help skip all timer, this game will never be Galaxy on fire anymore :(

13. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    #33 Taeles, Jun 30, 2016
    this game's repair system is giving me real racing 3 vibes. Own multiple vehicles that way when one is under maintenance, the rest are usable. So far this games repair system is more fair though. In rr3 any race 3 laps or more pretty much guarantees a maintenance downtime for said vehicle. I've gone 5 missions in on my starter ship and am at roughly 85% on the damage meter.

14. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Cheers for your feedback so far... here's a couple of answers and explanations

Hey everyone. First of all, thanks a lot for your feedback on Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore, be it positive or negative. We know that the game is quite different from its predecessors and we understand that many of you are a little uneasy with the changes we applied. I hope I can clear a few things up here to give you a broader, more comprehensive look at our game.

How Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore relates to Galaxy on Fire - Manticore RISING

Galaxy on Fire - Manticore RISING is the Apple TV-exclusive prequel to Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore. It uses the same assets and is set in the same game world. Gameplay-wise, however, it is much more arcade-styled and simplified than the mobile game. It gives you a first impression of what GOF3 looks like. But it does not have the scope and depth of the latter title.

Is Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore the "real" GOF3

Yes, it is! The rumor, that there will be another Galaxy on Fire 3 besides Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore, is not true. In terms of its core gameplay, the version of GOF3 that is now live on the Dutch App Store is already pretty close to the live version. But before we launch globally, we will still do a lot of balancing, add quite a bit of additional content, introduce various new features and apply a good amount of polishing. And once the game has been released worldwide, we will continue to uphold this service. We will constantly expand and improve GOF3 during live operation. So don't be disappointed if cherished features, such as exploration or trading, won't be in the game from day one. There is always the chance that we will add them with a future update. We have huge plans for this game and so far, we have barely just started.

C'mon, guys... why are there so many timers?

As Touch Arcade said in their article on the softlaunch, "the App Store in 2016 is a lot different to the one in 2009". These days, it is almost impossible to make a mobile game of this scope and ambition anymore without free-to-play monetization. This being said, the timers in Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore are a lot less drastic than they might seem on first glimpse.

- The stamina bar: Yes, your ship takes damage after every mission. But as long as the bar is not fully drained, you can continue flying as if nothing happened. Once the bar is empty, you are recommended to repair your ship. But even then you don't have to. You can continue doing missions, albeit with decreases stats.
    - Blueprints and upgrades: Sure, they take time until they are finished. But they don't stop you from playing. When you finish a blueprint or upgrade a weapon, you can continue playing while the process runs in the background. You won't be able to use the new ship or weapon before the timer has finshed, but you can still play with the other ships and weapons you have on your disposal.
    - "Juggling ships": Once you have unlocked more ships, you can simply juggle them. When ship A is being repaired, you can fly missions with ship B or C in the meantime.
    - Mhaan-tiq as a mission reward: Of course, you can also obtain Mhaan-tiq (the premium currency needed for quick finishes) during the missions you fly. So even if you don't want to make any IAPs, you can still speed up things here and there.

Online connectivity

Since GOF3 has coop features and takes place in a connected space, your progess will be synched with our servers regularly. Therefore, you need an active online connection while you play. But you don't need WiFi or 3G all the time. Since the action gameplay is not loaded from our servers, even Edge is enough to secure an unhindered gaming experience.

More questions? Shoot!

If there's anything else you'd like to learn about GOF3, feel free to ask me anytime. At this point, I cannot address all points in detail, but I will try my best to help you out where I can. :)

15. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks Tobi,

Will this get an Apple TV release and MFi support?

16. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    It's definitely a shame that the free roam element of the game is gone, that's what set the originals appart.

17. Tobi@Fishlabs

Tobi@Fishlabs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Right now, Galaxy on Fire 3 - Manticore is being developed for smartphones and tablets. Unfortunately, I cannot say if it will be ported to other platforms, such as Apple TV, in the future as well.

Also, we have already gotten a lot of feedback from players who said that they do not only want to have space fights, but also "quiet" exploration flights that give them the chance to check out the locations without any distractions. At this point, we cannot promise anything, but we're definitely hearing you and taking notice of your feedback. Unlike GOF2, which was released similar to a boxed product, GOF3 will be constantly updated and expanded during live operation. And we're not just talking bug fixes or content additions here, but also the implementation of all-new features... anything is possible with this game and your feedback helps us decide what course to take and where to go next.

18. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Only problem with adding important/big features at a later date, is that you will have lost a lot of fan base by then. Why not release it with the main features that the fans want, and then add/expand onto it in future... Atleast you would keep most your fans happy, doing it this way.

I don't like the free plus iap design, as in past players could pay an affordable £5/£10 for a game, and they will have the full game with possible free updates in future.
    But with the free plus iap, people get the game for free, but then have to keep on paying over and over, to get anywhere near the feeling of a full game.
    People may be able to afford and be happy to pay £5/£10 out for a full game.... But can't afford to pay for example, £5 or more a week out to keep it fully playable.

19. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    In designing this game the way you have, I think it will put people off and push them towards other recent space trading games. So I think, you made a bad decision unfortunately, as I was looking forward to a online space trading game, which would've been a first for iOS

20. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015
    #40 eksaint, Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks. This made me decide to give it a try and see if you're correct.
    Personally i don't really play f2p except for a couple of exceptions. I'm hoping this will be one of them.