Nintendo Media Briefing 2010 info topic - 3DS + Wii details and vids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GDSage, Sep 29, 2010.

1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Re: mercs look cool from the glimpse of it and mention of online coop.
    The other RE looks cool too.

Really want this.

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Very true my man, I'd say this new hardware is the biggest leap Nintendo have made hand-held wise, for years.

3. umpire12

umpire12 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    your jumping the gun on the price point.

4. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I was watching the upcoming games trailer on GT. So much awesome.

SFIV3D, Mario Kart 3D, Monkey Ball 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, Pilotwings Resort, not to mention Kid Icarus!

Looks like I better have £500 at the ready.

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Resident Evil looks extremely impressive.... and to think is a launch/launch window game. Just imagine how beautiful games are going to look 3 years after the 3DS comes out.

[​IMG]

6. o0Autumn0o

o0Autumn0o Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Accountant
    Sheffield

To be honest, since the iPad and itouch came out, I barely play on the dsi. It does what I need it to do and that's play harvest moon. I'm glad nintendo are upping their game, but I feel it's a bit late handheld wise.

Still I may eat humble pie if I see one in game and love it....usually happens when I'm negative before release!

7. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    *Shakes the negativity out of Autumn*

Did it work?

8. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    The 3 games that would make this system all the worth it for me, are ironically remakes. LoZ:OoT, Starfox and MGS3. *drools*

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    OoT, Pilotwings and RE for me!

10. o0Autumn0o

o0Autumn0o Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Accountant
    Sheffield
    I've had a rethink, and its working! I'm trying to not want it! But shh

11. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    My skills are admirable. Anyone else who needs altering just book an appointment with my secretary.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    From Kotaku:

This brings up a few thoughts:

* It's GDSage's and Omega-F's fault that the 3DS is so expensive (that's a joke, BTW)

* Whatever else you can say about it, this is a smart marketing move on the part of Nintendo. They have pent-up demand; might as well milk it as much as possible

* Expect a serious price drop within the first 6 months. The main market for Nintendo portables (outside of Japan, anyway) is children between 10-14. and I can't think of many parents willing to fork out $250-300 (plus games) for a toy that their kids will potentially lose, get stolen, etc. If Nintendo wants the kind of massive success that the DS had, they'll have to bring the 3DS under the $200 psychological barrier.

I will probably still get this soon after release (I'm part of that pent-up demand, after all), but this is definitely food for thought.

Story here.

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    but I wannit now :(

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm with you there, believe me.

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    it's already gonna be almost 6 mos before it's released :S don't wanna wait another six

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Apparently the Yen conversion translates to £190. That's not much at all. I wouldn't ever wait for a price drop while first day adopters are talking about and enjoying it, posting impressions everywhere. I'd feel like a right buffoon having not bought it.

17. umpire12

umpire12 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    yea somehow i don't buy the age gap there. its alot bigger than you think.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I used to own a DS (till it was stolen), am planning to buy a 3DS, and I'm in my 40s -- so yeah, I know that the audience is broad. But ask any retailer in the US, and they'll tell you that the bulk of their DS customers are in their early teens. Now, that range could very well expand with the 3DS -- considering the games announced so far, it looks like Nintendo is banking on it -- but I'm pretty certain that the majority of sales (at least in the US) will be made to parents. And it will be up to parents whether the 3DS ends up being a PSP-level success or a DS-level success.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #39 GDSage, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Nintendo has gone on record in past fiscal presentations about the demographics of the DS and the child / teenage market isn't the main one, certainly not to the extent you may think it is. Adults (25+) have become just a big a market for them as children / young teenagers (11-14). What Nintendo hasn't tapped into as much as those demographics are older teenagers / young adults, just like how it is also in Japan (which the PSP has thoroughly tapped into). It is why with the 3DS, Nintendo intends to clear up in that area and what with a Metal Gear Solid title and two Resident Evil titles in the first year, it's looking to do just that.

What will determine the success of the 3DS is brand value, because in the face of brand value, price becomes secondary and consumers are willing to pay a higher tag if the brand is strong enough. Well, no other publisher has as strong brand value as Nintendo. Publishers have tried for the past thirty years and still none have come close to the amount Nintendo has. So if they can't do it, then everyone else is surely buggered in this industry.

In the first year of the 3DS, the successor to the best selling title of all time (that sold 24 million copies) will be released, successor to one of the best selling titles (that sold 18 million) will be released and about six more titles that are likely to sell a couple of a million (Star Fox remake, Kid Icarus) to several million (OoT remake). That's just first-party.

The PSP actually sold in both hardware and software, in the first year, at unprecedented levels even though it retailed for $250. Even though it had no where near the amount of successful titles as the 3DS will have in that first year. What was against the PSP was a lack of mainstream, brand value titles to carry it over the long-term. Having a title here and a title there perhaps selling a million or a couple of million isn't actually enough to sustain momentum. You need, in addition to those million sellers, proper system sellers (the 6-10 million + sellers). The PSP never had that, barring Japan with the Monster Hunter series. In the West, Sony and other publishers never managed to define the platform to consumers, both in titles and in marketing.

That was the major contributor to the so-called downfall of the PSP, not the initial $250.

20. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Those overview trailers are amazing. I'm going to get the blue one.