iPad NineGaps Released!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jdelgado, May 29, 2009.

1. jdelgado

jdelgado Active Member

May 29, 2009
    #1 jdelgado, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    NineGaps is a highly addictive tricky puzzle game.

The goal of the game is really simple. You have to use your wits to place numbers from 1 to 9 in the missing gaps, while matching the operations presented in the puzzle. It's just like sudoku, but different!

Features:
    * simple and unique puzzle-based gameplay
    * 3 difficulty levels
    * unlimited brain burning puzzles
    * highly addictive and fun!

Fans of Sudoku, Ken-Ken, Blocked, Chess, and other mind and logic puzzles will feel right at home.

If you want to check it out, here is the iTunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317223443&mt=8&s=143441

On the game website, you can see some screenshots and instructions on how to play:
    http://www.ninegapsapp.com/

Here's a brief video from YouTube with the game in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49nhsFGwF-o

Test your puzzle cracking skills with NineGaps today!

Look out for more new games from Quadion COMING SOON!

[​IMG]

2. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    This looks pretty good, just might have to get it.

3. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Looks similar to a game I saw displayed in the apple store.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I love math puzzles. I'm a geek that way :D Like the lay-out, too. This is riveting, indeed :p

5. bgp

bgp New Member

May 29, 2009
    Just downloaded your game and love it! Keep up the good work!

6. falloutmike

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    This is a really good game, can't put it down even though I SUCK at math hah. I really recomend this game.

7. holliberry

holliberry Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
  8. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    This looks fun! I love math puzzles. ;)

9. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Looks good. I never really cared for Sodoku because it had nothing to do with math. This looks more like what I was looking for.

A couple questions:

Are there sounds?
    How are levels generated? Is there a predetermined number of levels? If I start over, will level 1 be the same? Etc.

10. falloutmike

Apr 16, 2009
    VA

There are 3 difficultys. Easy, Medium and Hard. The difficultys are the amount of starting letters on the board that help you, and maybe the overall hardness of the puzzle.... Also all of the boards are randomly generated, so pretty sure you won't have the same puzzle ever.

11. bgp

bgp New Member

May 29, 2009
    There are some nice sounds as you play, and as it has been said, the number of levels is unlimited (it looks like they are randomly generated).

12. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks, guys. I bought it.

Kudos to the developer!

13. rmont

rmont Active Member

May 30, 2009
    Great idea! Love to see original games appearing for the iPhone, keeps it fresh!

14. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    How is it? Is it as fun as it looks?

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    It's not crazy fun. But it's pretty fun for what it is, which is an arithmetic puzzle. My high score (/only score) on hard is 1:24. It's not insanely challenging, but it's just about right to not be overly frustrating.

It's polished and a good value.

16. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    I love this game's art style. I doubt simple games like this would get very far without clever graphics.

17. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Totally agree. I love the art style in this one. Although, the colored numbers are obviously using the "Curlz" font which I always considered kind of cheesy. But otherwise, it looks great!

18. rmont

rmont Active Member

May 30, 2009
    I agree. I like that you can play a game in a few minutes. With sudoku, I may not end it a game in my subway trip to work.

19. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #19 GatorDeb, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Nine Gaps is a challenging math game. It has loose ties with Sudoku and a close Sudoku family member, Ken-Ken.

When you first start the app you can begin to play, change some settings around, view the high scores, and learn how to play. You can also tap the i at the bottom right of the screen to get developer information. There's a lot of nice touches that really add atmosphere to the game, such as the smilie faces and torn notebook paper.

Settings include turning the volume on or off and a volume slider along with the option to reset the high scores. The high scores include the lowest time taken to solve a puzzle in easy, medium, and hard difficulties. How to play walks you through a few easy steps including an explanation of how equations are calculated (since there are no parentheses).

Once you tap Play you can choose from easy, medium, and hard difficulties. Once you do, you are taken to the main board.

You are presented with a three-by-three grid of boxes. To the right of each row there is a number and to the bottom of each column there is a number. There are operands (+, -, *, and /) in-between each box. In easy difficulty, two boxes are already filled in. In medium difficulty, only one box is filled in. In hard difficulty, no boxes are filled in. There are paper cutouts with numbers on top of the board. The goal is arrange the numbers so that the equations add up to the target totals along the right and bottom of the puzzle. It's harder than it sounds. You drag the numbers by touching them and holding them, then dragging them to the appropriate square.

There's no music. There's a congratulatory sound when you make a correct row or column and a chiding sound when you make an incorrect row or column.

From the game screen you can quit back to the main menu (no game-saving at all in this game), reset the numbers back to the top, pop up the settings screen, and pop up the help screen. Your time is to the top right of the screen.

I have two main suggestions for this game. The first one is to add saving, by both going to the main menu and exiting out of the app. The second is to add operands such as square root, nth power, parentheses, etc. You could also have megaboard with more rows and columns that you could scroll through.

This is a very well-presented challenging math app. It's more of a logic puzzle than an educational math game. At only a dollar it is a great value and with random boards the replayability is pretty much endless. Highly recommended.

20. jdelgado

jdelgado Active Member

May 29, 2009
    Thanks everybody for the kind words on NineGaps. Special thanks to GatorDeb for such a detailed review! We'll definetly take your suggestions into account!

If anyone else has ideas on how to improve the game, please do share them with us! We'd like to fine tune this game (and the two new ones we are working on) based on all the feedback we can get.

Thanks again!