Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Pretty good ;) Rough calculation says the X is 30%-50% more powerful than the Pro again. And if Apple sticks to their usual, we can expect an upgraded version of its processor and GPU for the next Pro generation ... holy cow...

Always welcome about the battery thingie ;)
    NOTE: I made a mistake there, that the numbers matched was just a coincidence. It does NOT show you the total battery used, unfortunately. Instead it shows the relative usage over the last 24 hours / 7 days, note how the numbers always add up to 100%. Ah well, at least we can get the screentime from it, and some rough indicator on battery drain provided you have similar screentimes for two apps.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the reminder, Robert. I still want to play through those two as well, give me a few days (we are all a bit ill currently, taking things easy).

Also, big surprise? Teasing us like that, tsktsk :p

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Surprise?!? It'll be like Christmas all over again, whenever it releases. ;)

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just dropping by really quick to tell you that Jade Empire is currently on sale for a mere 2 bucks.
    Get it. I only played a few hours, and some of the scenery I've seen so far looks really great, should be a good source of inspiration for you.
    Wanted to post an example screenshot, but TA is acting up and I can't attach it ;( will try again tomorrow.

5. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    :) Almost done - i wanted to get the bugs fixed for Christmas, but the holidays are just too crammed. Instead apple closes app submissions from Dec 23 to 27, so i have 3 bugs (2 small one big) that i will fix over the next week, so it will be ready to submit to aple when they reopen on the 27th:)

PS If you play the ballad of brightridge with the current beta it will break halfway though.

These are pics i am playing around with the new bloom and atmosphere options:

[​IMG]

6. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thats an insane price. I played this on Xbox - its in my top 20 games that have influenced and inspired me (and brightridge). I wont spoil it but there is a part in the game that i sometimes dream about as if its a real memory:) Thanks and i picked it up for 1.39$ in Canada!

Dont worry about the play through - i did it and Ballad is broken halfway through, but i just have 3 bus left to fix that for the next beta. I will have that ready for the 27th when apple opens their submissions back up - they close on the 23rd and it has just proven too crammed, so i told myself to relax and get it done after. People with new iphones will have to wait a few days for the fix, but it is better than burning out trying to get it all done before hand:)

New Bloom and atmosphere options - just playing around on ipad

[​IMG]

7. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Subtle change - a new Icon for BrightRidge 7.7

[​IMG]

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    you know what, you should also become a photographer robert :D, because you know how to capture the right angle on your every screen shot. one question, will this game support iPhone X screen? can't wait to play this.

9. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    :) Thanks redribbon. It's funny because it is a lot like photography. I put her in a blank scene with a very slowed down animation, and then took multiple shots from multiple angles until i found the "right" one, then i composited it with the background. I might redo it with her actually in the world for some more lighting effects, but i think i really like it:)

The upcoming 7.7 runs great on iPhone X - thanks for Curtis for testing that - but it doesnt fill the whole screen yet and runs letterboxed. Thats because I'd have to update my MacOS to HighSierra to use the new Xcode that allows the full width iPhone X screen, but HighSierra still has some Unity bugs and bugs with other programs i use - so it will be a while before i can figure that out, but i hear it still looks good in letterbox. The current 7.6 version on the store has problems with iPhone X and 8/8plus, so the 7.7. fixes all of that. I wanted to release it before Christmas, but instead i am taking it a bit slower. A few moments ago i finished fixing the last bug form the new engine upgrade - so i should be uploading the update to the store on the 27th when Apple reopens submissions:)

I talk a lot1 Anyways thanks again for the compliment - that was a cool one - and I hope that you have a safe and Happy New Year.

10. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    i think you better wait until it run at full screen because i dont letter box will looks as good as full screen. anyway, its up to you robert, i appreciate all the hard work you out into this game. so is the new nimian game closed to release yet?

ps. it is a photography except w/o the camera and you are not limited to space and resource as a director :D

11. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    BrightRidge 7.7 running on Android. I just have to fix the resolution buttons (it's stuck on low) and fix a few things, but its running great on my old Nexus 5 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    BrightRidge 7.7

Its waiting for review on the Apple store and coming to android shortly after. There's a lot more than this list but Apple limits the amount you can write in the release notes. The gist is it has better performance, more detail, and more options, and it has a complete upgrade of the core Unity Engine to one of the latest versions, which means more options coming soon:) And next after this is gamepad support and apple TV, plus the Vandgels Beta.

NEW
    + IPhone 8 / 8Plus / X detection, shadow and resolution fixes (Thank you Curtis and Benjamin for testing)
    + Improved default quality for iPad Pros (Thank you Nullzone)
    + performance increase across platforms
    + Reduced memory usage by 50%
    + Updated 3d Engine core
    + Feet splash in rivers
    + Multi world project structure for new games to share BrightRidge architecture (for sequel Nimian Legends : Vandgels)
    + over the shoulder camera view option
    + New camera control settings: camera tightness and camera follow
    + improved occlusion performance removing occludees
    + added Moon Jump and Classic Jump options
    + updated ambient intensity to work with skybox colors
    + Added higher x16 Texture resolution option
    + Show Region names
    + Soft Particles: Options > Settings > Quality > Effects > Soft Particles
    + New Loading Screen and App Icon
    + Stats Component : Set animation speed independent of Running speed to account for different humanoid sizes
    + Added detail sub texture to barbarian head statues
    + Using Numbers and Icons for quality level buttons - more universal that text
    + Upgraded Ambient Intensity options to work with new game engine - now operates on Sky, middle, and ground light sources
    + Increased default texture resolution x4 for iPhone 8, iphone 8 plus, iphone 7, iphone 7 plus, ipad 2017, ipad pros 2016, ipad air 2
    + Increased default texture resolution x16 for iPhone X and iPad Pros 2017
    + Increased default resolutions for most devices
    + Setup Multi-Language framework in prep for translations
    + Microsplat height blending improves terrain textures
    + NEW expanded BLOOM Options > Playground > Bloom settings - HDR, samples, blue, threshold, intensity, quality and active
    + New Quality component - can now set default quality per device in project file using menus - much faster - feedback on best settings for each device is appreciated
    + Fixed anilogo fade out at start
    + fix underwater turning top too bright and also changing to wrong fog

CHANGES
    + Added back camera height options
    + Audio controls now logarithmic
    + Removed lens distortion from spirit view
    + Removed trail in spirit view - will replace with hunt target
    + Sunlight Intensity changed 2 > 1 for more realistic lighting and less blowouts. Compensates for changes in light treatment in new engine
    + Lens flare default brightness increased to compensate for reduced default sunlight intensity (effect appears the same)
    + Removed Toon Outline Filter - Broken in new engine - will look for replacement
    Simplified water to 6 types, now controlled by WaterManager
    Renamed and moved PhotoMode to playground and removed watermark
    Rope ziplines replaced by magic transporters
    Known Issues - Changing to a flying animal or camera mode breaks carriage ride - temp solution is to disable camera mode until after carriage ride

OPTIMIZED
    + All rivers share one texture and river flowing manager
    + Removed master reflection probe from scene - will add back to rivers and puddles independently
    + Shadow quality options now control directly - allowed removal of redundant quality levels
    + Huge texture memory optimization - reduced startuptextures from 33mb to about half
    + Disabled occlusion on Iphone 8, 8+ and X by default (faster - thanks Stu Mitchell)
    +disable tween animation on options screens - faster and performance and broken in next upgrade anyways

MORE
    + Removed redundant titles and warning text from several options screens - simplify translation and declutter
    + Add visual indicator small green dot to show default buttons in options
    + Replaced text with icons for international audience: Sun intensity, ambient intensity, color filters, watercolor brush size and intensity, sun color, map location, contrast, slow time,
    + Moved Playground / Quality shortcuts between them to top right and enlarged for better usability
    + IPhone 8 plus shadows increased to medium shadows / iPad Pro 12 2017 increased default to high shadows
    + Enlarged MUSIC and SFX Volume sliders, replaced titles with button icons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Haven’t had a chance to try the updated app yet but just wanted to comment on the length of the update list which is totally mental for an app of this age - great to see it’s still being supported and the trickle down of things you’ve learned working on the sequel - looking forward to it!

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks stelph - I appreciate the boost kind words like that bring:) Yeah, that turned out better than i expected. Building both worlds in the same project means improvements apply to both - when i build it i just delete the unused world and export the one i need. Vandgels was working soooo much faster that i took those ideas and applied them to the BrightRidge "world" part and it resulted in a pretty good performance boost. And much of my updates focus on making the game easier to update, so that i can eventually add in new real content like stories very fast.

Next up is the Android 7.7 update which should be online this week, and then adding Gamepad support and the sequel Vandgels explore mode beta. I really like the Vandgels landscape too - it a lot bigger and mountainous, and i think its really pretty to explore so i hope people will enjoy that. I am so focused on creating really wilderness feeling worlds:)

One of the great things to is that i just checked the reviews for the latest update, and there were quite a few people who had given me 1 star before, and i spoke with them and said i was fixing their issues, and now the update is here and they changed their reviews to 5 stars, so to feel that sense of progression, that i am step by step making a better game is very encouraging to me, and it feels good to know that people enjoy it too.

15. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    'm working on BrightRidge updates, and the sequels Vandgels, Residi Bay, and GoldenWood - the 4 worlds that were in the original Nimian Legends protoype. But I've also been preparing a project that will be the next generation of Nimian Legends - here's a small teaser :)

[​IMG]

16. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Dont forget to update Mfi support for iOS as well! I know there is experimental support which works well to control and look, but you still need to prod the screen to jump/swing

Good to hear the 1 star reviews are being updated, and that future development is ongoing! Interesting to see what you have planned in Infinate

17. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Mfi support is next, right after i upload the Android 7.7 update:) I want to get it added because its been such a long time, and it will let us play on Laptops and AppleTV. Hopefully it will not be too complex - i have bought a plugin called InControl, and it is supposed to support almost every controller, so i will take next week to figure out the integration. Wish me luck:)

18. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Whoa. That looks exciting!

19. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Curtis - and Happy New Year:)

Yeah, I have been working on project infinite on the side (of the side:) for about a year, and it's reaching the point where it looks like it will work. When i started BrightRidge Open World for mobile was pretty uncommon, and I know Bethesda will swoop in anyday with Skyrim for iPhone,and while BrightRidge has a quirky, painterly beauty and emotion going for it, i know Ill also need something more to compete with big companies in a mobile space that increasingly filled with corporations in the top 10. So i get to combine everyhing i've learned about game design from my Unity, Flash and HTML5 games and also fullfill a dream of mine I have about the world of Nimian Legends. in the meantime i am getting the android update online this week and Mfi (finally) support for IOS and Android right after. Im very excited for all of it.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Happy new year everyone!

Seconding that, Infinite looks intriguing from that screenshot alone. Highly surprised you kept quiet about this for a year ;)

Your screenshots are gorgeous as always, and your changelog is insane once more. Well done, my good sir.

On an unrelated note, I found this yesterday and mentioned it on Discord. Quite sure you'll like it for inspiration - or just for a great read of course: http://janicepoonart.blogspot.nl

Which reminds me, as someone on that blog linked to here: http://www.volokhova.com , ceramics work.
    When you get around to a village or town, you should have a glassbower there. In the next town over from where I live, there's the Royal Leerdam glass factory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Leerdam_Crystal) . They still do demonstrations of traditional manual glass-blowing, and I've seen it a few times at night, from the other side of a small water channel. Great visual, from that distance you only see a semi-darkened room and that small blob of white-orange hot glass they are working on. Will try to remember to take a picture next time, couldn't find one online. Here's the location by day: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/leerdam-netherlands-august-8-2015-glass-304551089?src=cVCTrMYGV-5dpT5rOC4RNg-1-29 . The glass front on the left side of the building is what I look at then, from atop the wall on the left (there's a parking lot behind it).