Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    #161 Protopop, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Update version 1.1

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has reviewed, downloaded and supported this game. A special shout out to everyone on the Touch Arcade forums who have been very supportive at a time when I really need it, and have given me a ton of great advice and ideas. Thank you. And my apologies to people who have downloaded the game only to have it not run on your device. I'll talk a bit more about that below, but first - I've just uploaded the 1.1 update to Apple and it's waiting for review. I'll post an update here as soon as it's live in the store.

This update focuses on optimization and iPad support

Whats new in version 1.1

• Now a universal app - added support for iPad Air, iPad 4 and iPad Mini with retina display
    • iPhone 5 specific optimizations - increased framerate
    • General optimizations, bug fixes and texture updates

[​IMG]

Roadmap for v 1.2 and beyond

Here's some details about where what I'm working towards with BrightRidge updates:

I'm focusing on 3 areas:

1. Refinement
    • Optimizing frane rate and performance
    • Adding environmental detail and beauty
    • Improve interface options and layout

2. Adventure
    • Integrate narrative arc
    • Add ‘Miniventures’ - small quests

3. Mechanics

• Refine interaction with environment - jumping, increase animations
    • Add abilities - eg power to turn into wolf not just spirit view

My next priorities (aside from optimization, which is ongoing) is to add the first quest ("The Cave") and a new set of mechanics that I think you will enjoy. Part of it involves giving you the ability to control/turn into the other animals but there's more than that in store.

A5 Device support

UPDATE - A5 support is coming. there's more a few posts down

Yesterday I read this review about BrightRidge:

"How can people constantly make games that crashes at the beginning and release it in its buggy state anyway? You are a thief."

This really bothered me - not because of the language but because I feel for this person and am sorry they had a bad experience.

I want to say that I feel awful about not being able to support A5 and earlier devices. But more importantly I wish that I could restrict the app to the devices that work in the App Store. There's just no way to prevent people with iPods, iPad Minis 1G or iPad 3 and below from downloading the game. This is leading to a LOT of frustration for people and I can compleyely understand why.

When I got my first iPod Touch it was because I didn't want to shell out for the full iPhone - I didn't have the money and I just wanted to experience the games and the web surfing. So i can imagine how it feels when you can't access a game like this. i would feel left out and angry. If there was a way that I could make sure no one with an incompatible device could download the game, or optimize it so it would run on earlier devices I would.

The only real method devs like me have of avoiding this disappointment is to mention device support in the app description. I've made sure to put it at the top of the page and to make it as clear as possible for all devices so you'll know exactly what it works on and what it doesn't.

If there is ever a way that I can do more about this, trust me I will. I'm going to keep working on optimization but im going to drop specifically focusing on making it work for A5 devices because it just isn't working because of processor speed and memory - the game is as it is, and it looks like i would have to remove half of it to make it run on an A5.

For now i am mostly getting 1 star reviews (from A5 devices) or 5 star (from people who get to play the game) so I understand this is very polarizing. I'm going to have to accept this but I am still proud of the game. I've worked very hard on it so that people can enjoy exploring a world when they're at work stressed, have some spare time, or whatever the situation is. I've kept it at a really low price because i WANT it to be as accessible to as many people as possible. I hope that users will understand and continue to enjoy the game and its updates, and I'll continue to follow this passion to develop worlds, and make the experience as pleasurable as possible for as many people as I can.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Manners, my young friend, manners.
    Well, I heard the obvious lack of those can be cured in due time by the ancient medicine which is called reading. As in books, or this thread even, where that question was addressed and answered several times already.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Protopop:
    Thanks a lot for the update, and the outlook on what you have mind. Great job!
    Now, time to settle down and wait for Apple...

4. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    #164 funem, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Looks like a great game, shame about the ipod support, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

5. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    great update protopop for a start. can't wait for the next roadmap update. i hope this game really doing well and get to some point one day. i think after a few updates, apple will review and put this game on a feature list.

6. Greatgoat

Greatgoat Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    bought it, but never had the chance to play it. It crashes after the loading screen. #

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    What device are you on? Pretty much anything below current generation does have trouble, just not powerful enough.
    There are several posts from Protopop (the developer) in this thread that list compatible devices, including the 1.1 Update on page 17, just a few above your own post.

8. Greatgoat

Oct 25, 2013
    im using iphone 4s..

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    That's an A5 processor. Sorry to say so, but you're out of luck. Protopop's latest explanation is here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3298661&postcount=161 .
    Quoting:
    If there is ever a way that I can do more about this, trust me I will. I'm going to keep working on optimization but im going to drop specifically focusing on making it work for A5 devices because it just isn't working because of processor speed and memory - the game is as it is, and it looks like i would have to remove half of it to make it run on an A5.

10. Greatgoat

Oct 25, 2013
    luckily its only $0.99.. and i am eagerly waiting for iphone 6. i hope it plays well in iphone 6 ##

i got the chance to see the title screen, awesome graphics!!

11. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Greatgoat for giving it a chance. The crashing on A5 devices really upsets me and I'm sorry it happened to you. Yesterday I pretty much decided to move focus away from trying to optimize for A5, but this morning I did a ton more research and I'm going to make another attempt - if I have any luck I will post the news here. I'm betting it will look gorgeous on an iPhone 6 - it looks great on the iPad bigger screen (the universal app version is waiting for review at apple right now) so it should be the same with the upcoming iPhone - I can't wait to try it myself:)

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks funem for understanding - it eases the pain:).I'm a solo developer so my resources are limited and i have to prioritize or ill never get any thing done. But I did do another round of research today and even though i officially am moving away from it, ill probably keep trying with these new techniques i just learned. You never know, I might make a breakthrough.

13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    1.2 Update Preview - A5 Support

Well I couldn't let it go and after a day of research and testing I have most of BrightRidge running on iPad mini and iPhone 4S - A5 Devices. There's a drop in texture resolution and detail. There's a few heavy items (the house, the windmill, a few hero trees) which need to be optimized - im going to use the cruncher plugin for this - and there's an issue with the music. But its working and so im going to continue optimizing this and release it in update 1.2 (the 1.1 update which brings iPad support is in the approval queue right now.)

It was very important to me that the optimized version and the A6 and up 'standard' version use the same project file. I didn't want to start fragmenting the workflow so that was a big part of the problem. A side benefit of this is that what i learned today to get BrightRidge to run on an A5 chip will help speed up the A6 version as well.

BrightRidge on iPad Mini

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    @Null you're a gentleman. Just for the record, my significant other is Native American and spells their tribal name "WalkingFeather" as one word with mid capitalization, which of course Facebook hates lol. So that's why it's east for me to see it as normal personally.

@Proto that's wonderful news about the A5 chip comparability, however I'm concerned if after plans for increasing quality of details in 1.2, if now it's all gonna be "dumbed down" for those with older devices?

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Hypocrypha: why, thanks ;)
    If I remember right, Protopop wrote a few pages back that he has to reduce detail level ("dumb down") quite a bit for A5 devices.
    And he comfirms it in the 1.2 Update Preview, with details.

16. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Speaking of gentlemen, ProtoPop, I've mentioned it before, but seeing your update plans, I'm still hoping for a "GAME SAVE" feature. It's gettin rather old every time I start the game it starts me over as if it's my first time booting up, instead of dropping he off where I last was.

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, after checking it out for 30-45 minutes I quit and eventually tried one more time, but realized I had to revisit the towers I had already visited. So it felt like a chore instead of feeling like I could just explore with the powers I had already found previously. I would love a save and might put more time into exploring if a save game feature is added!

18. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    You don't have to revisit the towers. You start at the beginning and the game treats you like a new player, but you keep your unlocked powers.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Do you? I revisited the same tower that have me faster attacks and it seemed like it have it to me again. At least it looked like the same thing as the first time I visited it. But if that's true, then maybe I'll head off to find this flying everyone's talking about! But location saves would also be helpful and a time saver! Thanks for the reply.

20. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    It must be difficult to try to do something new and yet try to please your customers who bought your finished game. Do you have a life? Just stop occasionally and shout "I'm just one guy!" You may feel better. I hope you get it running on the mini.