Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    wowwwww, i just gone for a while and this thread is really turn into something really great!
    its amazing to see the support from all the fellow member here. now that people are showing great interest in your game, i hope you start to realise that what you created here has potential to be a real gem. I'm really waiting for the next update for this game based on feedback/request from most member.
    please check his other game too guys which i think is also great. an old game but still looks fun to play:
    https://itunes.apple.com/id/app/plum-nut/id580664043?mt=8

2. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Thank you so much for the response. I'm definitely purchasing this, not only because it sounds great, but because of how dedicated you are to the game. I'm always happy to support developers like you.

3. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #143 redribbon, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    jumping, rolling, bow, enemies, hunting ability, fishing, interact with people are the first amongst many other feature you should add into the game. man, i think you got a lot of homework. :D

ps. i think i know now the reason why the witcher 3 become one of the most anticipated open world rpg game. just look at this thread :D

4. kevin8977

kevin8977 Active Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Awesome! Can't wait.

5. PlannedObsolescence

Jan 29, 2013
    Will purchase when iPad or Universal version is available :)

6. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I really have you to thank redribbon for starting this thread. I've seen some of your posts and you're like a champion of developers, a curator of content and you really help us out:)

Thanks for giving Plum Nut some love too. The game didn't sell well at all but I have always loved the concept, recreating the music by platform jumping.

7. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    That's great to hear PlannedObsolescence. I was just testing the iPad version last night and I'll post an update here as soon as it's available on the app store:)

8. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
  9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Finally had some time again to play, very involving experience that really draws you into a different mindset.
    I begun to navigate with landmarks, like in the days of old, as you can for example read in old ship's logs before the discovery of reliable longitudal navigation.
    I can recommend the Wikipedia article on longitude, very interesting historical read.

And thanks to reading the above, I now know what tools you need for it and would love to see things like a quadrant or astrolabe in-game.
    For an overkill ("ambitious" in corporate speak ;) ) longterm goal being able to draw your own map ingame.

Two things I have to criticise:
    1) BrightRidge: as it is obviously a place name, shouldn't you write it Brightridge, without the middle capitalisation? Just the normal way town names are written. The alternative would be Bright Ridge, but afaik contraction is more common. Dig up an old form in Ye Olde English?

2) I cannot use the sun for navigation, which should be possible. It cannot pinpoint what exactly feels wrong, but something in the setup makes it wrong for that purpose.

And huge praise as conclusion:
    In most games correct positioning of the sun is not important, it's not part of the experience, but more like background decoration.
    Brightridge reminds me a lot - and in the most positive sense - of some RPI (role-playing intensive) MUDs, where doing/roleplaying these things is the "goal" of the game, the core of the experience.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #150 Nullzone, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Some thoughts on the controls:
    I mostly play with one hand only, to only stress one so I can switch around to avoid my RSI hitting again. Would be great if I could
    1) Freely position the controls, so I can e.g. put both on one side of the screen. Especially the menu button is awkward on an Air, in the bottomright corner.
    2) Adjust the control speed. Especially for looking around I wish a shorter swipe would give more rotation, so I can minimise hand movement.

The spear button is quite in the way at the center right position, I hit it quite a few times by accident.

On two of the Towers - Eagle & Strength - I had camera angle issues while climbing them.
    Sceeen rotation does not work, as this is a standard feature it would add polish to the game.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Can someone offer two good ingame place names for the idea below?

I want to start a separate thread for sharing landmarks and directions.
    As name I have "Nimian Legends: Cartographers' Guild of <name1> at <name2>" in my sight, in the same format as e.g. "University of California at Berkeley".

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    It's funny you mention this because there was a lot of back and forth about it in my mind. After a name change from Nimian Hunter Salvation to Nimian Battles I settled on Nimian Legends : Tombridge. But people kept reading it as "Tom Bridge" instead of "Tomb Ridge". I didn't like spaces in location names (largely because they screwed up my javascript variables in my HTML5 Game) so i decided capitalizing it as TombRidge would be enough.

Anyways eventually I realized TombRidge was a name for a grim and dreary place, a holdover from it's Nimian Battles days. The new non-violent environment was bright with shadows and light - so I changed it to BrightRidge and just kept the capitalization. But now that you mentioned it I can see Brightridge would work great - none of that confusion like with Tombridge.

2) I cannot use the sun for navigation

The sun is actually off a bit. It takes a long time to render the skybox and its not something i have patience for often;) so the Directional sunlight in Unity was aligned up exactly with it but then the shadows were a bit too long and it was too dark (and quite a few people are already saying its too dark as is) so i fudged it over a bit. I think for the next part in the series, the desert setting DoonPillar (there's that capitalization again), I'll remember to match the visible sun and sun light with each other.

1) Freely position the controls, so I can e.g. put both on one side of the screen. Especially the menu button is awkward on an Air, in the bottomright corner.
    2) Adjust the control speed. Especially for looking around I wish a shorter swipe would give more rotation, so I can minimise hand movement.

Both great ideas - I'll do it - thanks:)

13. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    There's actually a Cartographers Guild in Ookstergot, a smoke choked city just north of Brightridge.

[​IMG]

But maybe "Cartographers' Guild of Ookstergot at Brightridge" doesn't roll of the tongue:)

14. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    #154 EZ Ice, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Boo....No ipad2 support

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #155 Nullzone, Jul 26, 2014
    @protopop: Sun navigation:
    Ah, sorry that I wasn't clear enough earlier. It's not the (amount of) sunlight that caught me as off, I didn't even notice that.
    I think it was that in some places I expected to see the sun, but I wasn't there. But it was late and I was tired, so I'll check first if I can find a good example.
    And no, it wasn't hidden behind clouds; which is a great detail in itself ;)

Controls: I just figured out that I can hold down to keep turning the view, so swipe speed is no longer that important. Odd that I didn't think to try that earlier.

Is Bresk a town? Cartographers' Guild of Bresk at Brightridge sounds good to me. Ookstergot is just too much of a tongue-twister :p

16. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    OMG don't turn BrightRidge into Brightridge!
    >.< yuck! BrightRidge is proper and easier in the eyes as well as bein lucid in meaning. Some people know Null about the Engish language.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Well played pun, Hypocrita ;)
    Still strikes me as improper, though, to have mid-word capitalisation. Not to mention somewhat cliche.

Just looked it up out of curiosity, in Old English it's bright=beorht and ridge=hrycg . Bet most people would think that's Scottish or such.

18. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    #158 EZ Ice, Jul 26, 2014
    Hey Dev, why don't you list which iPad is supported?

Doesn't work on iPad2...

19. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I'm sorry about that. I didn't want to mention the iPad in the product description because i didn't want tp give the impression it was a universal (ipad and iphone) app. But After what you said I've gone and changed the description to include ipads running in compatibility mode. Thank you for bringing it up.

A few minutes ago I submitted a new build to apple that's a universal app. It supports iPad Air, iPad 4 and iPad Mini with Retina Display. Unfortunately there's no iPad 2 or 3 support. I've been trying to add A5 device support for the past couple of weeks but it looks like that won't be possible. I'm going to keep trying to optimize for earlier devices because it may work and its good for all app versions, but I'm going to focus on refining the experience on currently supported devices (A6 and up).

If you have any other questions about BrightRidge please don't hesitate to ask.

20. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Hypocrypha - I think I'm going to stick with BrightRidge for now - it's everywhere and I like the way it looks on the map:)

@Nullzone - thanks for making me think about it, and for the Olde English origins - that's pretty cool and i bet if i went back to the 1500s I wouldn't understand a single word