Universal Nimian Legends : BrightRidge HD (by Robert Kabwe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redribbon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. greenleaf

greenleaf Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Student
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey Nullzone! When you start out as the human, turn left towards the snowy mountain peaks. There is then a gap between two rock faces. Travel between those. You will know you are in the right place because there is a group of men cutting down trees once you travel through. You will also see two large statues of men holding out their hands towards you (much like the Argonath in the LoTR). The Ents are walking around that area. I hope that helps!

2. greenleaf

greenleaf Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Student
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry, I am still learning how to quote people and post. I replied to your Ent question in my previous post. I like the idea of "Cheat" being changed to something else, like "omniscience" or "exploration mode". And I agree that it would be cool to have a thread to share places of interest, just in case some people don't want any spoilers. This game has a ton of potential!

- greenleaf

3. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    I grew up in Montreal, spent the first twenty-some years of my life there, and I go back every year. It's one of the world's greatest cities, IMO. I still crave smoked meat sandwiches and ribs from the Bar-B-Barn on Guy street ! :D

4. adin

adin Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    New Mexico
    @protopop :

Not to slow down releases on iOS, but have you thought about releasing an OS X version? As much as I'm on my iOS devices, I'd really love to explore and appreciate your art on my big monitors at home!

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Thanks mate! Could be the game not recognizing my device so it will cap out on a lower framerate. I just didn't saw that iPads aren't supported as of yet. My bad, sry.

6. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Empfmil! It was important for me to keep the price down. Not because i think the game is worth little but because i always admired Steve Jobs' 99cent itunes approach. My main goal is to create and share something that people might enjoy and to reach as many people as possible a low price helps keep things accessible.

With this game (which is one of 4 worlds) i decided that i couldn't afford to keep creating a new game each year so instead Im going to focus on updating this one and improving it based on players feedback, so, barring disaster, there will be some good updates soon:)

7. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Exactly. There are no quests per se but i worked hard to make every area as 'rich' as possible with details - the beauty of nature is my main thing - and a sense of fantasy wonder.) You can find powerups by climbing hidden towers and there's 5 or 6 different types of wildlife you can hunt or just observe, and a few other hidden secrets:) As soon as I get some time I'd like to put together a game guide for this.

8. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thank you adin. That's a great question and the answer is Yes:) I'm going to release the game for Mac, Windows and Android as well. I just added GamePad support and am working on the translation of the touch controls into mouse controls. The Gamepad will work on mac and pc but whats cool is it also works on iPhone. So the other day i connected my phone to my tv, fired up BrightRidge and played the game using a Steel Series gamepad. It was like a console in my pocket, and the game even from iPhone looked really great on a big colorful screen.

9. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    No that's cool:) You know, every bit of feedback motivates me in some way, and helps me out by letting me know what's working or not working out in the wild on various devices so please don't be shy anytime you have something to share.

10. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    That's so neat to hear directions like that, and i can visualize every place you say in my head:) I'm tempted to cut and paste the text into a character in the world ("Greenleaf?) who gives the players directions to the Ents.

11. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Hey Greenleaf - wow that's a really extensive and helpful critique. I'm really glad you took the time to organize your thoughts and share them - thank you. And I agree with you on almost every point.

1. The noise that occurs when you switch to the spirit animals, or when you swing your staff, is pretty jarring to me.
    I agree - that's why it's great to get feedback that can turn my suspicion into a definite action. Im thinking something softer, less aggressive - jarring is a good description for it:)

2. I would approach one of the glowing orbs of light (which provide some info about the world) and it would take up the entire screen and (most importantly to me) prevent me from seeing what I was doing.

I noticed that too. Originally i had just titles that showed up. But then i was like "I have an encyclopdias worth of history written down, it will add flavor". It doe but yeah i was looking at one of these views with the big description and i was like "i cant see anything":) I think the 'click for more' style button is a great idea. Funny enough, the same thing happened last night when i was watching Tour de France highlights - they kept showing these BEAUTIFUL landscapes and then dead center filling the screen was the stats and i was like "I cant see the landscape!"

3. after having found a glowing orb, they could be removed or hidden from the world.

I like the idea of discovering the orbs, but id like to keep them visible since its something o find you go back to several times, and it would be very hard to find that viewdot sweet spot if you couldn't see it. But it does bring to my mind the idea of splitting up the assets already in the game and integrate them into a narrative or a discover one-by-one kind of thing unlike just throwing everything out there at once.

4. I think it would be awesome to play as the spirit animals, not just watch them.
    It's coming:)

5. I think I would like it if there were some penalty to falling from huge heights

Me too. Its pretty straightforward to add it in and there's already the mechanic built for when you die (if an animal kills you you respawn by the inn). And as was discussed somehwhere earlier i can always add in invulnerability as a cheat option if you want or need it.

6. That being said, I think it would be fun for the quests to not be fighting-centric. I am loving the exploratory and wonder feeling that comes with your amazing game.

Don't laugh but i am looking at part of a miniventure that has you transform into a hummingbird for a minute and pollinate a garden as part of maintaining a balance for a quest item. Not everything will be so off the wall but i'm definitely looking at creating smaller, unique moments that will let us feel a sense of marvel hopefully or just of being in a situation to experience that's different.

7. Maybe there could be an option to pull the camera back a bit.

That's coming too. And it looks like a 'diablo' camera also with a pulled back 3/4 perspective, which isnt ideal for every gameplay element but looks really cool!

Thanks again for taking the time to share all these great ideas.

12. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks Nullzone.

2) How much effort would it be for you to implement an ingame map that shows all interesting places as you discover them?
    "Interesting places" for lack of a better word, "landmarks" maybe? Or only icons, no text. Like showing the Lighthouse and the Whale in the Ocean with stylised icons? Look at medevial maps for example, some had a lot of ornamentation.

A friend said the same thing today at dinner, like a hand drwn map that kinda looks like each landmark, like Drakes sketch book in Uncharted. It actually is quite a bit of work but I think it would be a great addition.

3) I wouldn't call it God-Mode, sounds too much like an Ego-Shooter. Exploration Mode?
    Exploration mode is kind of cool. I'm thinking of like in Racing games where you can stop and move the camera anywhere, except in my version im going to allow the camera to go though walls - kind of like a developer mode - i think im going to place that in a sub settings section (i have to remap the setting to accommodate the extra options) where the more "technical" options can reside.

4) Same, rename "Cheats" to something less associated with "normal" games, especially Shooters. "Omniscience" , "Seasoned Traveller Mode; I'm sure you - or some of the great people here on the thread - can find something more fitting.
    That's cool. It reminds i heard once someway say to infuse EVERY aspect of your game with its art direction and style. That goes for words like 'cheats' too. Im sure i can find a good word for it. (me and the thesaurus are great friends)

5) Unity? Did you ever consider getting onto Steam, e.g. via Greenlight? I only know that Unity makes multi-platform development/deployment a lot easier. But I have no practical experience, so I have no idea how much effort that is technically, not to mention marketing-wise.

Unity is AMAZING to be honest. Not only is their image so polished and accessible but the tool is really intuitive, and they have a great community. As for Steam, i am working on the Windows version - i THINK that that's what i can submit to Steam. I havent looked into it yet because i think it will take a few nights to get my head around how it works but it is on my to do list

6) Marketing: If you feel so inclined, you could send the Toucharcade team a promocode, and invite them to review your game.

I will definitely do that. I actually have been coming to Touch Arcade for a long time to read reviews and I have great respect for them

13. Hypocrypha

Hypocrypha Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    #113 Hypocrypha, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Godmode is a gaming term from like the 90's for that one member who asked. Anyhow, I meant if there was death for falling, I'd like an option to choose to be invincible like you pretty much see now. As for the cheats option, in afraid to turn it on bc I don't know what it does, I don't want to spoil anything. Can you explain exactly what that activates? Anyhow that's quite a big map! I also agree that done of the sounds can get on your nerves a bit, maybe an option to play your own music. Idk, just loving and interacting. Wishing you great success!

Attached Files:

14. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    The Cheats unlock the powers you gain by
    climbing the 4 towers. The power to change into an eagle and fly, twice as fast staff attacks, twice as fast arrow shots and unlocking the teleporters.
    Once you turn on cheats they stay on unless you reset your game. You can reset it on the splash screen in the options. Im going to add a reset button in the main game options, and i think what you say brings up a good point about maybe giving more of an idea what will happen if you activate cheats.

It'd be cool to play our own music in the game:) When i first tried Grand Theft Auto 3 on the PC part of it's crazy charm was we could play our own mp3s in the car radio. I heard somewhere that the reason we can't do this anymore has to do with licensing music and it counts as public performance or something if we played it in the (virtual) car (royalties would need to be paid im guessing). But if we could I might try it with some classical music. Since we brought up music, i'm thinking about adding some different music for different areas. I LOVE the theme music, i can listen to it for a long time and still enjoy it, but different music can also help set different moods.

15. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there going to be an ipad version?

16. Hypocrypha

Mar 28, 2014
    It crashes on our first gen iPad mini, but the dev is posted he's finishing up and releasing an iPad compatable version this weekend :)

And as for music themes, I'm playing Destiny beta atm and I snippy love when music changes when entering a certain area! Gets the heart pounding and wondering. Damn you're such a positive dude! Lol

17. Hypocrypha

Mar 28, 2014
    Regarding SAVES: I'm playing on an iPhone 5S in the US, and I just confirmed again right now that each time I start the game, it's reset to the beginning, and all I'm doing is stop playing for a while then relaunch game and I start at the very beginning instead of where I left off.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Nope, "from the gecko" wasn't turned by auto-correct, it was fully intentional.

19. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    iPad compatable as in updated for the ipad's resolution? or is this just going to be a version that runs on the ipad?

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    As far as I understood Protopop, it will be iPad resolution.
    By the way, the current version runs perfectly fine on my Air, and even in enlarge mode it looks gorgeous. Retina quality graphics should crank the experience up another notch or two.

Fun thought: would be interesting to see how this plays with VR glasses like the Oculus Rift. Apple, when are the iGoggles coming? ;)

UPDATE: My Google-Fu says there is something out there already:
    http://www.storenvy.com/stores/33091-digital-martians-innovations

And this, already from 2008:
    http://techreport.com/news/25754/apple-granted-patent-for-head-mounted-display