Universal Nimble Quest - (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 27, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    it wasn't there when I started playing and when it asked me to put in a guild name I put in toucharcade :confused:
    Well It doesn't matter who created it anyway just so long as we're top :D

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    That's what the TA Plays seemed to show. This is basically a Call of Snakes clone with some RPG/fantasy twists thrown in.

So instant get tonight. :D

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Should be a fun night. Downloading once it hits the US app store!

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Just played for a while from my NZ account (have Suomi, Canadian, NZ and Spanish accounts lol)... at the beginning it seems very basic, but as you keep playing and adding heroes to the party (with their abilities) the game keeps getting more interesting. Its like Snake for Nokia but version 2013 with RPG elements. Also, its endless :D

The game controls by swipes, and works very well.

IAP: There are two currencies, gems and tokens... You can buy them for real money of course and prices arent too cheap. There is also another IAP for a gem doubler "each gem is worth 10x" for 5 dollars. But, so far, I collected 600 gems in a short time and upgraded Fight and Magnet, but no tokens at all.

Its FREE so no harm done for trying it, and maybe you will like it

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Tokens do show up. It may just be perception but I feel like they show up a bit more later on. Tokens are used to retry the current level, purchase boosts for the current game (more health, add a character, skip a level, increase attack speed, shield, increased movement), and to enter the arena. My suggestion is to not use tokens early in a game. When you've got a good run going and want to clear a new level, use them then.

The swipe controls are very good. I never would have thought you could have swipe controls with this sort of precision.

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    If you get a chance try Call of Snakes out sometime. It's the same swipe controls, adding heroes to the party (with their abilities) and so on. Very similar game, and darn fun too.

Looking forward to getting Nimble Quest tonight.

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yep, love Call of Snakes so anything that expands on that base will be an instant download. Think a fantasy feel, particularly if there's more to leveling up, could make this great.

9. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Each character has three level upgrades, requiring small, modest, and large amount of effort to unlock (each tier is 10x the cost of the previous). I hadn't played Call of Snakes, but based on that video I like the aesthetics of Nimble Quest a LOT better.

10. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle Active Member

Feb 15, 2011
    There is more to leveling up, and it's pretty cool. It seems that your characters gain experience and level up based on the number of kills they make (which is tallied when you make him/her leader). Once they reach a certain threshold, they level up, gaining a star, which bestows increased abilities to them. For example, I just leveled up the bomb throwing dog Gizmo, and it gave him an additional +25% blast radius perk.

Also, there seems to be optimal playstyles depending on what character you choose to make leader. Like the dragoon dude you get from finishing the courtyard, he only lances enemies that are directly in front of him. So instead of steering alongside chains of enemies (w/c I do when playing Gizmo, since he throws bombs in a general radius) I have to pivot dragoon dude towards enemies (without bumping into them, w/c would kill me). It's better to stick with a leader whose attacks fit your playstyle, so you can level them up faster and get farther.

So far, so fun!

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm glad people are discussing Magic Cube's Call of Snakes because Nimble Quest seems so blatantly similar that NimbleBit should be embarassed. It's good the hear the Nimble Quest control scheme is very smooth, I'll reluctantly pick this up tonight.

12. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    They didnt seem Impressed that tiny towers had been cloned so to then do the same thing to another Dev seems a little rough.

However I'm also kind of thinking is it a clone or just a game in the same genre of shooting snake type games!

I believe in the other thread they responded saying they had played call of snakes and been influences by its controls but didnt mention influences in terms if it basically being the same game with RPG style development for selling IAP added.

13. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    We all know sub-genres don't exist. This is a clone just like Halo is obviously a Doom clone.

14. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I'm excited for this to finally come out. I might even grab the coin doubler right away.

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I have some reluctance to pick it up just because of the whole ripoff thing and it's freemium, but I love Call of Snakes so much it'll be hard to resist. Sort of like Real Racing 3. I just hope it's not as huge a massive grind as RR3. I'm growing sick of games that are overly inflated with the sole goal of paying IAP bribes to make the game easier. Sure it's free and I don't have to download it but I freakin love Call of Snakes. It's one of the few games that survived my big app cleanout a week or so ago. Maybe Magic Cube can 1up Nimblebit and do a new Call of Snakes... maybe Call of Knights or something? I'd buy that straight up.

16. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I dunno why so many people are so IRATE about the Call of Snakes comparison. Both of the Marsh brothers said they loved Call of Snakes and that was indeed the inspiration for this game.

There is a difference between inspired and RIP OFF CLONE.

I can't wait for 11 pm to ring on so I can download this. Spent too much time last weekend on the demo so I want it in portable form ASAP.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... i dont get that either. And they didnt complain about all brick breakers, pinball, match-3s, tower defense games and poker games being clones.

18. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Man...who dropped the 2 200+ marks on the arena? Wow!

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't really see much difference between a clone and an "inspired by" game design.

I don't see anyone Irate over this game. I see a lot of offense being taken though that this game is considered a clone of another game. I don't mean to strike a nerve. It is what it is.

Clones have been around for a long time. It's been part of the game industry since pretty early on... and sometimes the clones outshine the original work. Look at all the fighting games that were birthed from Karate Champ such as Street Fighter.. which then went on to inspire a legion of clones.

The guys behind Ridiculous Fishing had an interesting story to go with their game about how it was cloned before the iOS version was done.

So there's a good and bad side to clones. On the one hand, it's nice to get a new game that's similar to something you really love... on the other hand, it can undercut the original dev that's still active. I hope this game does the opposite and shines a light back on Call of Snakes.

Either way, I'm downloading it tonight to judge for myself. But I have a feeling this will get iAP hacked to bits pretty quickly.

20. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    If you consider Nimblebit's other free titles I doubt this will be "IAP hacked to bits". Their popular games played well without ever spending a dime. Granted I haven't played the game yet so I may be completely wrong but given Nimblebit's history I have confidence in their pricing strategy.