Universal Night of the Full Moon (by SOULGAME INFORMATION CO LTD)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DTK, Oct 20, 2017.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    This brought my purchase finger to a screaming halt. #

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Sad to hear about that last boss. I wish the dev would post here so we could get some feedback to them. Really like this but am not nearly as far. Honestly will probably keep playing because I’m enjoying it. At my rate and the difficulty, I may never even get to it. ;)

3. heephap

heephap Member

Jan 12, 2017
    #43 heephap, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Decent Dream Quest Clone

Some thought on this game; I knew I would enjoy this game after reading early reviews and I was not wrong. Dream Quest, clearly the inspiration for this title, is one of my all time favourite game on ANY platform.

That said, Night the of the full moon copies too much from dq. The combat is the same and most of the enemies have identical counterparts to dq enemies, down to the damage number of the abilities (only the names and art are different). I predicted exactly what some of the enemies would do, without having ever faced them! Same goes with many of the player's cards. This game also has far less replay value compared with dq, with a much narrower hero pool, fewer cards and (seemingly) no unlocks. Having played way too much dq I was able to beat the bosses after a few tries with each character, it is still a hard game but I am not really desperate to play more.

It does improve on some aspects of Dream Quest, most notably the artwork. Dq's art is famously terrible, whereas this title is pleasing on the eye with decent animations and sound effects. The grammar could do with some improvement, but the story and dialogue options are nice and the game does a better job than Dream Quest of building a world. I still really enjoyed it and will continue to play if they add more characters.

Some tips are to go card draw with actions (and cards that do damage depending on how many actions played) for ranger, attack dmg and card draw with knight, and damage, card draw and spell duplication with wizard, until the last floor where the 9 mana poison card is a MUST. Generally take stat boosts (mana, health, actions, equip slots) over cards when given the option, especially early. Take one or two defensive cards for all classes and generally ignore most early game cards unless they have draw or a good effect. Favour spending money removing weak starting cards from your deck (tavern I think) over the smithy and potion room.

It's a fun game, and probably more accessible than dq, so pick it up if you can. Oh and do yourselves a favour and play Dream Quest if you haven't already.

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

I almost have him on a nun draw cards build. Abilities on cool down but full health. Keep at it. Nun is the hardest for this boss I think.

RNG can bite you bad this fight!

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #45 L.Lawliet, Oct 26, 2017
    You mean I should quit and try using Nun on him? Or do you mean it's too hard to beat him with the Nun? Nun has high difficulty on the image of her, but I have not tried her yet. I believe to beat the werewolf you need something that can wipe his skills (probably doesn't exist) and you need something that can deal high amounts of damage multiple times - though of course every deck wants that so I'm not sure how things would turn out much different unless the nun can attack multiple times with 20+ damage.

Anyhow everyone, I still think the game is great. Just that final boss (and there's 2 other final bosses you can unlock - not sure about them). I STILL think it's worth the purchase but yeah, you COULD hit a big road block at the end of the game. But I guess it's the journey that counts :confused:

But yeah, I wish the dev would come because it's such a great game. I emailed them a few days ago and messaged on FB with no response. Doesn't even seem like they check their FB. So I'm assuming they don't have any plans to fix the bugs or nerf bosses. That werewolf definitely in need of a huge nerf.

Edit: Probably over 1 hour of tries on this boss - I give up on him. So far Archer is my favorite class and got me the furthest. Not sure how to beat the game at this point but I had fun with my mostly action cards Archer build.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Use anything but the nun. I find it the hardest class to dish out damage on.

You might have to just start another ranger run. With the knowledge you have you start constructing a better deck.

Hunter is still hardest fight so far for me.

7. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I doubt I can make a better deck. My deck was amazing against every other boss but Wereworlf. I can't think of any way to beat him with Ranger tbh. Not sure how I can keep dishing out that much damage per turn since he heals 30% per turn. The only way I was able to deal good damage was to use a card that boosts damage for the damage I lost - which is stupid in that battle because I have to have him destroy a lot of my HP. Then I need 2 high powered attacks since the first one is always negated. Not sure what deck will save me. My knowledge now can't really help me since there isn't a way to deal with that - including his other amazing buffs and special event cards.

8. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks for the insight! Now I can look forward to an challenge, which will undoubtedly frustrate me beyond...many things. I am trying out the knight for the first time now - tries the nun and was awful at it, but guess that's part of what makes his game unique.

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Welcome! Please enjoy this complimentary flannel shirt and this handy map of Starbuck's location.

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I also welcome you, also a Seattlite. Let's have a hipster party.

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    An update to the game was released! I got really excited but then the release notes only said they added Halloween decorations and bug fixes. So unfortunately I have no idea what that means. All I know is they added pumpkins in the icon. Card games should definitely explain all their release notes thoroughly. And yes, I still have not received a reply from them..

12. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Have you beat the other Bosses? I beat witch with Knight but I am struggling to get past the second stage with any other class. Knight has good healing skills - I find that with other classes that lack healing, it's difficult because if you win a battle on low health you essentially doomed yourself.

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011

You referring to the standard bosses? I've beat all the ones on my road to the final boss but I can't remember all of them. I have to debate resetting the game or not since there's no save files, I want to keep playing but feels wasted not beating the final boss.

Anyhow Ranger worked well for me since I was able to buy a few Preparatory Heal and then I had a strong card that adds +2 to your health permanently if it's the lethal hit. Then in the shops I bought up to the 20 gold health boost. It worked well along with many dodge buff cards. My max health on the final boss is 107 and with 5 action points per turn. Unfortunately it's not enough against the Werewolf.

14. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I beat the game (werewolf) on my first run with the Archer and I only died once in that run at lvl 7 ;)

Its all thanks to crazy amounts of hours playing DreamQuest,haha.
    I kinda learn to prepare my deck for all eventualities! And there were 3 key aspects to my archer deck that yours is lacking!

He regens 30% of his lost health per turn – is not entirely correct. He regens 30% of the damage done to him without healing anything from poison/fire. So fire and poison damage is permanent and my deck had 2 poison damage cards in it.

He blocks the first attack that does over 8 damage – with his equipment. There are many cards that let you destroy equipment or in my case: even steal it ;) I had his 2 equipments the entire fight!

I had quite a lot of heal to almost offset his damage every round. My fight against him was so long because of our healing that I got through his event stack twice^^ After you have chosen all events at the beginning of each round they get reshuffled…

Only tried the mage as well and due to a bug I cant do the 2nd boss at lvl 7 there anymore after I died, so I had to reset the game and didn’t have the time yet to try again.

15. Uchti

Uchti Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    K, killed the werewolf now with the knight and mage as well. Mage was the easiest. I had 1608 poison dmg on him in the end #

I think I know how to face the witch, but somehow I can't get enough reputation... and the last boss is either after finishing with all 4 classes or replaying with a class or after you beat the witch and werewolf... dunno yet

But as a side note: I like the idea that you start facing the werewolf as your first encounter every run ;) he even warns you off the full moon and wants you not to go into the forest!

16. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #56 L.Lawliet, Oct 26, 2017
    Yes I know that's how the Werewolf works but I don't want to write every small detail, especially when a Ranger doesn't have access to much magic. I have no magic cards except one heal. I have 5 max MP because as Ranger I was never given actual offensive magic, which makes sense because it is not an MP oriented class. I have a couple action cards with poison, so it's insignificant at 1-2 poison damage. It's insignficant because a couple poison cards will only stack to a couple damage a turn and that's nothing to a 100+HP boss who can heal. I have never seen a steal or destroy equipment spell and have used up 95% of all location cards each chapter. Either it's really rare or cards are class specific. I'm leaning toward class specific since shop cards do not vary too much in each run of the same class because I see the repeated cards over and over.

I do find it odd you said you could offset his damage with healing. I noticed each class run is filled with cards that compliment your deck and Ranger is not MP focused. I only found a couple basic MP heal cards that barely heal anything for someone that can do 30+ damage a turn. The only other heal card I found was Preparatory Heal only heals 2 unless under special conditions

And I appreciate your input but sadly you've mentioned things I've never even seen after checking everything thoroughly so they must be rare? I'm quite a veteran at deck building games and I also prepare for all eventualities like you imply you are but you have to take what the game gives you, maybe you should try doing a Ranger run that has no equipment destruction or steals because I've never seen that in multiple playthroughs. And based on what you're saying, if you don't have equipment steal or destruction, there's no way to win with Ranger.

Edit: I'm going to keep restarting the game and seeing if I can find those cards. If not then I'll switch classes. Maybe I'll try mage. You said it was the easiest even though it says it's high difficulty.

17. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    #57 HotHamBoy, Oct 26, 2017
    @L.Lawliet

Interesting that you seem to be struggling so much with Ranger v Werewolf.

My first run was w/ Knight and I ended up facing the Witch. Had trouble with a few enemies and ended up fighting Witch many times before finally beating her.

My 2nd run was Ranger and I had a comparatively easier time. Ended up fighting Werewolf and really didn't have much trouble beating him. It took far fewer tries than Knight v Witch did.

Right now I'm on my 3rd run and I'm playing Nun. Thus far this has been the hardest run by a good margin. The last half was a struggle with Nun's low HP and the delayed spell effects. No equipment slots either, ouch. Many enemies forced me to fight them over and over until I finally got lucky draws and eked out a victory.

Many times I almost gave up the run but I decided I could eventually do it if I tried enough times and now I'm finally at the Priest.

How do you beat the Priest!? His revive ability is insane. The only way I can see it working is if you had 100 dmg worth of spells stacked (accounting for his 50% reduction from fire damage) stacked up and ready to go off, use an attack card to kill him and then use Devotion to trigger the spells.

Which is pretty much impossible.

Should I finally give up the run and try to beat him with a different class? I also haven't used Witch yet.

Also, this game is fantastic and super addicting. Well worth $2, especially if you like Card RPGs and single player card games.

18. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    How the hell do you play Ranger? I get destroyed bc she lacks any sort of healing or defense. Most notably - the Toad enemy that is invincible for 5 turns, or enemies that have 50% physical resistance.

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #59 L.Lawliet, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Welp. I guess I officially strongly dislike this game. All the last bosses are terrible.

I switched to Mage and wow - Mage is the best class yet. High damage. Only 2 mini bosses gave me trouble but otherwise it was a breeze. I got to the witch and.... she's more bullshit than Werewolf.

At first she looks simple, no event cards every turn. That's good. But look closer and she has a FULL REVIVE equip. Luckily I have 1 destroy all equip card (also it's a bad card because it destroys your equips as well). So I reset the game to get this in my starting hand which takes about 5 minutes or so to do.

Then here's where more bullshit comes in. She has a destroy 50% of your max health card. WTF. And her deck is loaded with them. She can play it nearly every 2 turns. On top of that she has a HEAL 50% of YOUR HEALTH and do 50% OF THAT HEALING AS DAMAGE TO OPPONENT. WTF? I got close to beating her a few times and she magically pulls that card out of her butthole right before death. Which means instant KO for me. Because using that right before death outputs the most damage. And her standard cards are way too strong, 20 damage, 25 damage, 10 damage PIERCE cards (armor is useless), damage boost cards. I only have 100 HP and I bought as much health boosts as I could. She 50% of the time brings me down to 20 HP on her FIRST TURN. WTF. And to make matters worse, she plays that destroy 50% of your health card almost every first turn. I think they must have 5 of each of these cards in their deck at the rate they use them. You also need to use equipment destroy right before you kill her because she can replay the "full revive" equip card. lol.

This is ridiculous. I can accept hard bosses, but these are insane. This is literally extra hard mode. I know this is balanced wrong because the difficulty gap between normal bosses and the final boss should not be this huge.

To attest to this, I've been trying to beat the witch for 2 hours. I've gotten close a few times and then she magically pulls out a heal card. And lets not forget, if you don't have equipment destruction, you're supposed to practically beat her TWICE. WTF man. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like these devs care to respond to me. At least add difficulty modes or something. I love everything else about this game but once I get to the last boss I immediately dislike the game where I want to stop playing. So unfortunate.

I honestly don't want to imagine how hard the FINAL FINAL boss is. These bosses are basically using the strongest decks possible.

/endragepost

Edit: After a little over 2 hours, I finally beat her

What did I do differently? Nothing. I just got lucky that I used a "negate first card opponent plays" and it was the "lost 50% of your health" card I blocked. My last attack was a huge combo of a bunch of lucky cards and using a "reduce mana cost this turn" to play all of them. You can't really strategize with that. The only thing I can think of that may help is getting the "full revive" blessing. Not sure if it's permanent or just a one time thing (I never picked it) but I guess seeing these bosses, full revive would essentially give you 2 chances to win and that would be big. I usually picked the +1 damage boost which is very helpful. But I guess if you get one free revive every battle then that's even better.

And I wish beating the game gave you bonuses or something - now the thought of reaching each boss scares me.

20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Ranger vs werewolf for me was like the hunters deck but with poison. Continuous play and poison dmg stacks.