Universal NHL 2K (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Yes, mainly it's playable. I don't mean that in the "it doesn't suck" way, but that many hockey games may look good but are essentially unplayable. The last 2K11 was impssible to play with the virtual controls. I found myself grinding my way up the boards like a beginning skater simply because touch controls are way too imprecise to play a fast game like hockey with. In this case, you have the one-touch controls, which are really well implemented, and you have a game pad control option that is about as responsive as I have ever seen on a touchscreen. In the end, you actually play hockey, rather than skate around your target (puck, opponent, goal) in a vain attempt to do anything.

Sure, the sounds are bare-bones and the area and crowd are generic, but have you checked the complaints about NBA 2K15? They're all remarking about how stupid it is to have a 3D crowd if it bogs down the game play. Sure, I can play in a pretty accurate representation of Barclay's, right down to the herringbone floor, but that just gives me something pretty to look at as I run Brook Lopez right off the court while trying to defend.

NHL 2K is a very enjoyable experience. It may not look as pretty as NBA 2K15, but it plays far better.

2. Rmanluther

Rmanluther Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2012
    How does it play on an iPad 3?

3. gansta

gansta Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    It plays very well no issues.

4. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Bummed out. Is this really that bad? I have 2k11 should j just keep that instead?

5. speck9900

speck9900 Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Majorly bummed, it's a watered down game of hockey, reminds me of nhl 98 on the PC. No goalie control, you cannot dive in front of the net as a defender to block shots, players glitch when pressed on the boards, dumb goalie ai, you can speed skate down and cross shot and get a goal almost every time. So disappointed in the fact it's got no commentary, the crowd animation is terrible, so you would think they would at least get the on ice part right but no. If you have 2011 just hang onto that...don't waste your money.

6. speck9900

speck9900 Member

Dec 2, 2012
    It's downright pissing me off to think these guys had 3 years to come up with a redesigned game of puck and this poor excuse of a game comes out. 6.99 too I mean c'mon ridiculous

7. Wubba

Wubba Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Indiana
    This looked amazing, but you guys at TA have saved me $8. Thanks!

8. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I'm pretty satisfied with this. Plays decently, no lag and entertaining. Not perfect but I'm only investing 5-10 mins at a time with it - which is really all I need.

9. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    So this is pretty much the game you were expecting after 3 years from nhl 2k11 when we all had iphone 4? You are pretty easy to please

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I just want playable games with decent graphics. NBA 15 I deleted as it's just unplayable but I have read this is playable.

11. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    Yes but this way you're encouraging developers to be lazy and publish small updates at a new game price. This game was ok 2-3 years ago, now is honestly unacceptable. Nba 2k15 is perfectly playable on current geneation iPhone and iPad too and it's the most amazing sports game on mobile. It will soon be updated to run smoothly on last gen as well

It also goes beyond the graphics. The gameplay, game modes, options and presentation are important as well and Nba 2k15 excels in all of them while NHL is just a lazy lazy game on this regard

12. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Totally agree. I haven't had issues playing NBA 2K on my iPad Air. I expected NHL 2K to at least be similar to that but THIS is what we get?! At the very least there should have been commentary. There are no cut scenes of players, nothing to make me feel more a part of the game. After THREE years this game is utterly unacceptable!
    Sadly since I don't have NHL 2K 11 I will be playing his version since I want to play hockey. 2K doesn't care because they already got my money.

13. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    What do you complain about? It is the best hockey game on the Appstore. I have played the 2k11 since it came out until now and I love this one.

14. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Someone discovered that if you turn off the replays in NBA 2K15, the performance improves. It worked for me. Now it's my favorite game. Not perfect but real good.

15. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    Are there GameCentre Achievements??

16. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    How fun is this game if you don't watch Hockey like at all?

17. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Well yeah, it's the same game lol

18. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    Nba 2k15 is basically Nba 2k on PS3. Just a watch a YouTube video of it on your phone and then play the mobile version. It's that good.

Can you say the same thing about NHL?
    Is's obvious they didn't put the same effort on this game. So why are they pricing it 7.99???

Also why would I buy an iPhone 6 to play games that I could play on an iPhone 4. Would you be happy if NHL on ps4 looked and played like a ps2 game minus all games modes and options?

19. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    How fun is life if you don't watch hockey at all? Seriously though, I've watched and played hockey all my life, so I can't imagine how to answer.

20. islesfan

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Come on guys, it's not that bad! It is a fun game to play. I agree it doesn't look like much of an upgrade, but it is much more fun to play than 2K11 was.