Ngmoco's Plus+ should get more Devs to join in

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Alas24, Jul 4, 2009.

?

Should Ngmoco's plus add other devs

Poll closed Jul 18, 2009.
  1. Yes, they should

80.6%
  2. No, its fine with just Ngmoco

19.4%
  1. Alas24

Alas24 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    While all of ngmoco's games are good, they should really start considering making deals with other devs so that plus can expand. I, for one, would love to see real racing or flight control on plus.
    I'd love to know what everyone else thinks about this.

2. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    i agree. I really like the Plus+ network.

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Once you hook your game into a system belonging to someone else you are then dependent on them.
    You need to code around any changes they make.
    You need to accept all changes they make.
    You need to accept any charges they might make.
    There will be other things to consider too.

4. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I see what you're saying, but Plus+, It's an out standing service that should remain as an exclusive to their games opinion. And don't forget about sales.

5. Alas24

Alas24 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    that's were the deals part comes in. ngmoco would have to discuss any upcoming decisions that they're considering with the other devs. I'm sure that they can all come to an agreement

6. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Openfeint exists, now Plus+ so why should everyone put their data into one basket?

If I have a game published and could update it to use Plus+ then there is a whole lot more to consider than just "hey, this might get me a sale!"

7. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    My personal opinion is that it is something Apple should do. The reason is to remain independent, which is hard otherwise.

8. Mobigame

Mobigame Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 29, 2009
    stop dreamin man

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    That would be the absolute worst thing you could ever let happen. Apple control even MORE of what you can do?

10. Alas24

Alas24 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    but then think of it in an xbox live point-of-view, microsoft releases they're own games for xbox live too, and they still let other companies go on xbox live and it doesn't affect their sales.

11. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Remember there are many other iPhone Social Networks as well as Plus+ like Open Feint, Scoreloop, Geocade and AGON Online.

12. Alas24

Alas24 Member

Mar 9, 2009
    hahaha that's funny.
    they'd be too busy sabotaging each other's apps

13. mike84

mike84 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    yep, i agree

14. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Microsoft is not as evil as Apple :)
    And it does affect sales - I buy for the PS3 when I can because playing online is free. X360 I have to pay. So there is an effect.

Either way this is pipedream stuff.

15. Combzzz

Combzzz Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    iv never expeirenced this chat thing or whatever because i dont have any of ngmocos big games :/

16. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Yeah, but they all suck. Every single one of the other networks you just mentioned feels unpolished, laggy, buggy, and poorly designed.

Personally, I'd love to see ngmoco allow specific developers and apps that meet a certain quality requirement join Plus+.

I would not want to see them open it up for everyone, but they should do an invitation-only system regarding which apps to approve for the service.

This poll is completely irrelevant though; ngmoco has already confirmed that they will be adding other developers to Plus+. In fact, they hired the president of Sega America to be in charge of courting other developers to the service.

17. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    No I think it would be the best option. Do you think it's bad on Playstation 3 or on XBOX 360?

Some simple questions:

Do you want to have it in ALL games or just some?
    Do you want it to look and behave the same in ALL apps?
    Do you want ONE friends list?
    Do you want to be able to compare your achievements/trophies/awards in ALL games with ALL your friends?

- or -

Do you want have three four different accounts?
    Do you want to have three four different friends lists?
    Do you want games to become more expensive?
    (or in short: just the opposite of the first list)

You get the picture.

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Not really. Real Racing and Flight Control have something similar, Cloudcell.

In total this is something that is nice but not necessary. And as Anders said it is something Apple should do.

19. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    At which point those other developers then NEED to stay in Plus+ so will have to do what they are told to do. Cost? Suck it up. Sharing data? Should have read the really small print. Export data? No can do etc. It really isn't as simple as some people think it is.

20. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    You do realize that any service like this is completely optional, right? Developers and publishers would review a contract before signing up for a service like this, and they wouldn't sign up unless the contract is fair.

I don't know what ngmoco has planned regarding developers who choose to leave the service, but I'm sure any developer worth a damn would figure this out in advance, before signing up for the service.