Ngmoco CEO talks about NGP/3DS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by beachmusic, Mar 13, 2011.

1. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
  2. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Meh, he doesn't say anything important.

NGMoco fell of really hard after they started doing their "freemium" games.

3. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
  4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I particularly enjoyed the response to that recent front page article. The article spoke of Ngmoco's success since they went into the freemium business and no one could name any good games they've made since then.

5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    If they were not making any good money, they'd change the way they did business...
    having said that, I am not saying that Making Good games = Making money.

I saw How to loose friends & alienate PpL again y'day... what a co-incidence!
    Freedom of press is not equal to successful business, Rigging stuff about (so-called) celebs will keep the magazine @ top 14 internationally!

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Ngmoco is a business first and a game developer second. It's amazing how few people have figured this out.

7. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Your'e getting way off topic here sir.

Anyway I can't tell if he really believes gaming on handheld is going to be good. He says NGP is dead upon arrival 3DS' 3D is a gimmick and idevices don;t really play games that well.

8. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Are you saying other game companies like EA, Gameloft, chillingo are game developers first and bussiness second? How are they different from devs that are earning money while making actual Good games?

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That certainly explains their lack of anything worth playing. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my games to be made by people who want to make games.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Ngmoco was created from the ground up to be sold for millions of dollars.

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Didn't they sell for some crazy-ass figure like 400 million dollars?

I admire them from a business standpoint, although I'm never going to forgive them for shitcanning Rolando 3.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yep. What people don't understand either is that even though these kind of freemium games aren't very popular around here, millions of people are playing and enjoying them. The reason they were able to sell for so much is because the amount of daily active users is flat out insane.

*shrug*

13. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Millions of people enjoy listening to music by Avenged Sevenfold yet they have sold out and suck now.

They deserted their first audience of core gamers. While I could go into sentimental nonsense like they feel like they've been betrayed after making NGMoco what they are today, the truth is that someone needed to get left behind or they would eventually cease to exist, and because the casual demographic is bigger this unfortunately was the original fanbase.

14. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Agreed. Not just on the the fact that A7x sucks now, the metaphor is a perfect example.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you made a venn diagram of "core gamers," 99¢ whiners, and pirates, I think there would be a shocking amount of overlap. Don't get me wrong, the Rolando games and Star Defense are high up on my list of favorite iPhone games, but it's basically impossible to build a high-value business on iPhone games targeting the core gamer demographic. From a business perspective, what ngmoco has accomplished is pretty phenomenal.

It's just too bad the price that came with was abandoning games like Rolando.

16. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I still just don't get why they abandoned Rolando. Why can't they do both their Freemium garbage and their paid titles...?

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Likely because they ran some financial report and it was like:

MONEY MADE:

Rolando-
    |||||||||||||
    TouchPets Dogs-
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

18. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    hahahaha got it. Oh well I guess. At least could have updated Rolando 2 with retina. LOL

19. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Just came along to say this gave me a chuckle. :p

Unfortunately, it seems like developers across the board are following the same type of line, no matter what type of device. Rather than branching out and trying new types of games or building on great stories, they stick with what has sold for the past decade and avoid changing it up in ways that might drive away their customers.

I can't blame them. It's all good business. But sometimes it feels like I've seen all this before.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the fact that even "hardcore" games now are nothing but sequels and knock offs. There was a really great image circulating around a while ago of screenshots of a few different first person shooters and without captions you wouldn't even know which was which.

Multi-million dollar game budgets have forced publishers in to "safe" games like Call of Duty #4756, or, yet another freemium reskin.