iPad Ngmoco ads in games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    I was disappointed to see ads in Topple, Dropship and Rolando. I realize this is a way to market their games but on paid for apps this method should not be employed. Freeverse did the same thing recently and due to the feedback, they created an option to turn the ads off.

Please Ngmoco, provide the same option. They spoil the polish of your elegant work.

2. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    free apps = dont care
    paid = i care

3. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Agreed it gets really annoying.
    Its like Rescue Angles, Grrrr that pissed me off

4. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    Ads in topple/rolando?Where?

5. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    The latest updates on all the Ngmoco games have ads on the main menu page.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I also hate how there is a start button on rolando...

You tap it and right under it there is a link to a mini browser to the ngmoco site...

Then to actually start you have to tap the next start button... which is next to a "tell a friend" button. If you tap the tell a friend button by accident you are kicked out of the game and taken to the mail app. You have got to be kidding me

7. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Ad? That NGMOCO logo isn't an ad. It's a link to their site. Most games have links to their sites. It would be different if they were ads to different games, but it's just their website.

I really don't mind. I do find it strange that they have a "tell a friend" link smack-dab in the middle there, though. I've never clicked it on accident, but I still think they should've put it in the "more" menu.

8. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    They have that start button so you can play with the Rolandos on the main screen without the other menu items in the way... I'm pretty sure. :p

9. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I noticed this, too, and it really turned me off. For free games, it's acceptable, but not on a paid game. However, I think this is a reaction to the low prices currently being charged on the App Store. Companies feel like they're giving things away at too low of a price, and therefore they're trying to get more money by advertising.

However, I think this sort of strategy can backfire. For example, when I saw an ngmoco ad on one of their paid applications, it annoyed me and made me less likely to buy future applications. For example, I definitely feel less inclined to buy Dr. Awesome. (I was always going to buy Rolando because I've been waiting for it forever, but I'm waiting a while longer because I don't like to reward bad behavoir.)

10. BadSanta

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    You are talking about the little ngmoco logo that redirect to their site....this isn't ads man -_-"
    useless thread.

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Love how an ad for Rolando just perfectly blends in with the Dropship background.

Right...

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    hahaha! I was trying out the new dropship level just now and thought the exact same thing. Everything is so subtle and has a specific aesthetic... then BAM Rolando

13. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    so summary:

on free apps, ads are ok
    on paid ; not ok

the ngmoco sign that links to their page is not an ad

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I totally agree, ads on my dr awesome for rolando is un-acceptable.

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

blue and white and then the bright green.

16. mek

mek Well-Known Member

this [the friend request link] has happened to me a few times on Dr. Awesome, and it is rather annoying

i've stopped playing it, not specifically for that reason, but the irony is, all my friends, in my contacts have died according to dr. Awesome, who yelled at me a lil too much...and if all my friends are dead...who can i tell a friend to now?

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I don't think it's an ad but I still don't think it's ok. It appears right under the start button which makes the likelihood of someone tapping by accident increase.

I pay 10 bucks for downloadable games on Mobile device, XBLA, PSN, and on my Wii not ONCE has a dev had the audacity to give me a button that, upon tapping/clicking, takes me AWAY from the game I just paid for.

So why is it that the majority of apps on the appstore seem to be ok with it?

18. Wrong. Check out my Dropship video. At the beginning of the vid, you can see the Rolando advert...

[hqyoutube]4lE0tSnEQHs[/hqyoutube]

19. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    They aren't making money directly off of the ads. The ads don't work like they do in say, Tapdefense. I have no problem with it personally. It is basically a "try our other game" banner.

20. BadSanta

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    I've only Rolando and Topple and I can't see any ads.
    The author of the post say that in this games are ads.
    Then according to my limited knowledge this post are usefull.
    But now I have to correct, this post is not pointless but inaccurate, we must make a distinction between the games mentioned.