iPad Nfs = $19.99?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dzine4U, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Dzine4U

Dzine4U Member

Jan 26, 2009
    I was just wandering if the NFS delay has anything to do with the impending Premium Games Section. I'm sure a company like EA would expect to receive the higher price point for one of its more lucrative franchises and releasing it now would loose them unnecessary revenue in the long term. I don't think it would have taken EA this long to "perfect it" so could this just be a smoke screen for an underlying corporate decision? With all the hype surrounding NFS and the high expectations it would seem like an ideal game to fall into the new premium category.

Any Thoughts!

Dzine4U

2. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Been thinking this too, since the rumour of the $19.99 section.
    Hope it comes out at a reasonable price instead.

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    YES! another NFS thread, didn't wastedyuthe or somebody need to chenge their name now? yumina somthing like that?

4. glowAndy

glowAndy Well-Known Member

its a matter of supply and demmand

if they're supplying it and we aint demmandin it, the price will come down :)

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I would have to agree with you, seems like EA knows that the $9.99 price point just isn't going to cut it for them... I personally don't mind paying up to $20 for a game if it's going to be good, but when I can get Fastlane for $8 and they try and sell NFS for $20, I just don't think it would work for me!..
    But yes I do think that if there is going to be a $19.99 section that NFS will probably be one of the first ones in there...

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I REEEEEAAAAALY hope NFS isn't 20$ :(.
    They have let us wait for soooo long, why wuld they have to make us pay alot?

7. Cashoo

Cashoo Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Could be the full game?

8. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I kinda hope this is what is holding up Tiger Woods 09 as well. For $20 that app should be incredible.

9. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I just can't see myself paying 20 bucks for another racing game, especially when Fastlane is so much fun and fresh (even after I've played for it 25+ hours)

10. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #10 THEDeliriumTrigger, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    I think this could be a possibility, mabye not the full game, but if they had a free roam.... oohhhh.. *creams pants*

11. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#11 schplurg, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Why would EA wait for a "$20 Section" when they can release it for that price anytime they want to? Unless a bunch of companies are planning to release so-called premium titles all at once, which I doubt, why wait?

I remain skeptical that this premium section will ever exist, at least at a preset price like $20, for the following reasons:

1. The market will dictate prices that devs charge and it has already been set. It can change, yes, but not artificially by Apple arbitrarily setting a price range like this. In the end, the demand for the products will dictate the price.

2. Suppose EA wants to lower the price of NFS, etc, because sales aren't so good. If they lower it to $15, is NFS no longer a premium app? I think if EA sells NFS for $20, the result would be a jump in sales for Fast And The Furious and Fastlane.

3. As powerful as the iPhone is, it is first and foremost a phone to most people. As popular as gaming is on this device, the majority of people are not heavy gamers. Of all the iPhone owners I know, I'm the only real "gamer" of the bunch. Of course the iTouch may be different in this regard. This isn't to say that some people wouldn't pay a lot more for a game, but more people who aren't heavy gamers would be likely to buy it if it wasn't dramatically higher than the other games.

Anyways, that's my "just got out of bed and am a little sleepy" analysis of all of this. I think the premium app area rumor is just that, a rumor.

I will add that Apple does need some way of separating the crap from the non-crap in the App Store. I said before that Apple could simply raise the price for developing and releasing an app. This would make people think twice about building some stupid half-assed product and kill a lot of the bull***t out there.

-----
    edited for spelling

12. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Interesting point. I'm absolutely certain that EA Mobile wants to charge more than $9.99 for NFSU--it definitely qualifies as a "PSP-quality" game. Now that they're well past the simultaneous launch window anyway (the console versions launched last year), why shouldn't they just stall until the Premium Games section goes live?

13. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    "Untill it goes live", you are ascertain that the $20 section is coming out?

14. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    i have to say that releasing nfs at $19.99 would be a bad idea for EA. The majority of iphone owners are casual gamers at best, and wouldn't even consider paying twenty bucks for an app. Additionally, many people (myself included) have been holding out on buying racing games such as fastlane ferrari gt, etc. in anticipation of the title, and seeing that extravagant price tag would lead them to simply buy from EA's competitors. It would simply be a stupid marketing decision, if they price it at $9.99, they will easily sell more than twice as many than at $19.99, and have a greater profit.

15. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    That would suck! EA has already delayed the game many times, it would be just plain unfair to use an opportunity from this rumor!:mad:

16. Yes I did say if I saw another NFS thread I'd strip naked, run around with a flower up my bum, and change my name. I ought to do a poll as to what to change it to, although I like the sound of Judy :p

As for the game, I am not a hardcore gamer, so if it's any more than £5 I won't bother, and I'll just stick with Ferrari and Fastlane. I have a feeling it's going to be over-rated just like Rolando anyway. Cobblers to it.

17. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Everybody is already thinking that every single half decent game will be put up into the catergory of premium. Like when everyone was getting g angry about a RUMOURED releasedate of nfs made up by possiblebuyers, this store may not be in affect until early next year. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that now that we have heard about it that apple will getin a big panic and release it next week. I don't expect any games released before June will carry anythingmore thanthe current $10 price tag

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This is exactly why I don't think this rumored "premium" section will carry $19.99 games for iTouch/Phone, if indeed will even exist, and if so be tied to the iTouch/Phone platform (I still say if a $19.99 game section happens it will be for Mac games and/or Apple TV games).

Yep, pretty much. As you stated, the market has pretty much been set.

Eh...on this I have to point out that the platform is not the iPhone in and of itself. Don't forget us iTouch users, who, y'know...are kinda outnumbering you iPhone users according to recent sales data.

Again, the platform is the OS and the hardware shared by both products. It is not one product over another.

Well it is the "funnest iPod ever" ;) Gotta love Apple ad slogans.

Or just fix up the app store for gaming. Right now it's all a jumbled mess, and devs themselves choose what sections to get in, etc. The best and quickest quality control Apple can implement is fixing up the app store.

For instance, a separate "indy" section would do wonders for those looking for "bigger" releases. That way one does not have to go through countless DS Effects games to get to, say, Payback or Hero of Sparta.

19. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yuyina is betta...

GTFO of here! We don't take kindly to your kind a'ound hear...

20. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    is it NFS Undercover??? if so, that game is not even worth $10...i wasted $67 on that piece of garbage