Next-Gen iPhone Specs, Launch Date Revealed?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1337brian, May 19, 2009.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
  2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I wanna see the iPod Touch 3rd Generation specs.....
    If I had the money I would say "Screw it I'm camping out with 2 Visa's and a video camera :D (Photos and videos last longer than a memory)"

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    TouchArcade monkey.
    Sacramento, CA
    Quote from article: Double the RAM and processing power

:eek::eek::eek:

That seems like a big upgrade, there's already problems with devs making things with the 2G Touch in mind, then they end up not running as great on the older models. I know this is just speculation on what the new iPhone will be like, but still. I don't want to HAVE to buy a new model every year, even though I probably would anyway :p

And yes, I would def camp out for this one! Haven't camped out since PS2 came out. If you're in CA maybe we can organize a camp out brigade :D

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #4 LBG, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    I call BS. I don't think Apple would launch a new iPhone so soon. They would probably want to see the App Store develop more (which is becoming a bigger source of income for them) and then develop a new iPhone including more app specific features. And FM radio? Isn't that a bit 'old technology' for Apple. Surely they would incorporate a DAB radio or a native app that allows for internet radio. A rumor is a rumor and nothing more.

edit - OLED screen? Why would you want a bendy screen on an iPhone? :confused:

5. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Apple is renown for it's unwillingness to rest on it's laurels. The company often replaces entire product lines for the latest technology (iPod mini was extremely popular, they terminated the line to make way for the nano). I reckon that a new iPhone is a sure fire bet for WWDC.

6. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Not exactly.

Depends on what product line it happens to be.

With the Mac line, sure, they release pretty sizable upgrades (CPU processing power, newer gen GPU updates, etc.), but that's mainly due to the expectancy of the consumer base to have those sizable hardware updates.

But iTouch/Phone, really, is an extension of sorts of the iPod line of products. And while Apple does release minor hardware revisions every year or two, the major hardware revisions usually have a much larger gap between them.

Even the "2nd gen" iPod touch is not a vast hardware upgrade over the 1st gen touch. Faster clocked CPU (but same gen ARM11) , bluetooth, slightly better battery life, etc. The different "gens" (I add the quotation marks because, as a gamer, a "gen" to me is defined quite differently than how Apple apparently uses the term) still have the same type of CPU, use the same GPU, have the same amount of RAM, etc.

And it makes little sense for Apple to upgrade the hardware with a next gen ARM and PowerVR GPU and more (and faster) RAM among other hardware upgrades that would constitute a true generational change. The App Store has only been open for a little over a year. Again, I state that Apple will issue minor hardware update releases for a couple of years more at the least, as they do with the iPod specific line, and a major new gen change will not come sooner but rather later.

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    That part in bold is why I don't think this rumor is anything more than that: a rumor. FM radio inclusion? Why the hell would Apple do that when the original point of these sorts of devices are to sell music through iTunes?

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Good point, I didn't notice that. Although, I'm sure if Apple did ever incorporate a FM radio into an idevice then they would somehow make you pay for it.

9. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    The only way I see Apple including radio support is if they have a feature that allows you to "tag" a song you like and buy it via iTunes.

10. JustinFic

JustinFic Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Game Designer / Programmer
    Las Vegas, NV
    #10 JustinFic, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    I'm still rocking my first-gen 8GB iPhone, and I've been holding out on upgrading until the new model comes out! All I really need is 32GB of storage just so I can have all my music and apps on it at once, along with an episode or two of Lost.

The rumor sounds really fishy though. OLED screen? Double the RAM/processing power AND 1.5x battery life? And still manages to stay at $199/$299? That's a pretty tall order. I'm totally confident that we're getting a new model this summer but those specs are just crazy! Either way though, I'll be camping out for it.

The article doesn't say FM radio, but an FM transmitter, which lets you listen to your iPhone audio through an existing FM station. They're really useful for listening in a car with no aux input, etc. but it still seems silly, since FM transmitters are so readily available as accessories.

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

#11 brewstermax, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    I'm a camper. I had a thread around there SOMEWHERE. It was similar to this, but I'll be outside a ****ing AT&****ingT store all night whenever it comes out. **** yea!

Oh, and I just made an post on Appmania (link in sig) about the topic before I even saw this. :)

I'll be alone in a plaza sitting against a wall half asleep in front of an AT&T store waiting for some rep to sneak me inside to get the new iPhone, and allow me to leave and activate at home. That's another aspect I want to know about. What about activation? I would rather do it at home, and get out fast than to sit there all day and let someone else touch my iPhone first.