iPad Newtonica2

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Maythius, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
  2. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Really? I loved the 1rst, and wanted to buy this one......can you give a more detailed review?

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I saw this game this week and it seems very polished.

However, I could not figure out what was the gameplay.

For such a new game a video always help but the developer did not post any video link in the game description. He should if he intends to sell his game.

Some games, like the new Tatomi, even have a flash demo.

With tons of games out there the developer has to find a way to better expose his work.

Right now I think it's not the right move to purchase 10 titles blindly instead to save and purchase a $9.99 well produced game, again, like Tatomi.

4. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Basically you have to get the chick into the warp buy exploding spheres (the same sphere from the first game) depending on your timing and angles of the explosion you chick will go in a different direction everytime. To make matters more complicated there are various objects that either can assist you or completely screw you over.

There are 36 levels in all, but replay value is added with the "donuts" the can be collected in certain levels, however, these are very difficult to obtain.

What really shines for me in this game, is the phenomenal music playing throughout. It is definitely one of those "chill-out: puzzle games.

-Hope that was a decent description

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    By the way, my iPhone shows some smilies in one of the game reviews. Is that 2.2 feature?

6. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #6 Wegmans, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Mine too that's so nuts! It's worth checking out the game to see that review with the smileys in it... I wonder how you can use them?

PS: I caved in and bought it.. i'll be back ha

EDIT: I think i'd give this 4/5 stars... It's fun and you can go at your own pace... I listened on headphones and definitely the fidelity of the audio is half the fun... the beats are pretty good with deep bass, and everything you touch seems to create the music of the game.

My only complaint is that when you fail to complete a level (which may be frequent as they get harder) the music stops and you are sent back to the mission selection screen.. It should just be seamless and if you fail, you just start right back up...

Definitely recommend this game to anyone looking for a good "chill out" app or for a fun puzzle game with great music.

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    newtonica2

What exactly do you do in it? Is it worth picking up, and does it have a good replayability factor?

Questions, questions, questions...

8. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    #8 Maythius, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    We reviewed newtonica2 recently. I liked it a lot. The developer also has a sequel, newtonica Resort... another one called newtonica HOT is coming out in February.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I really love Newtonice 2 and Resort.
    Very polished, very unique, fantastic music, addicting gameplay.
    They have done everything right...and for this price, it's a steal.

Truelly one of my favoutites.

11. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Really underrated game. Great puzzles and gets pretty damn hard. I have had newtonica two for quite a while now. (maybe even a couple months) and it's great to see it starting to finally get attention. It seems like a lot of people didn't even know it exsisted. I always see people mentioning how it was doing amazing on the Japanese app store and they brought it over. Great game. Yep. 99 cents is an easy buy for this one. Get resort too.

12. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I wish when you failed a level the music didn't stop and take you back to the level select menu... it's like, why would i want to choose another level? i just want to play that one till i beat it! it shouldn't have the level select for levels you haven't progressed to. i'm sad there hasn't been an update released, i've been waiting since it came out for some positive updates :/

13. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    One of the guys behind the game is Kenichi Nishi, who was lead in the aforementioned Chibi Robo, but also led the team that developed GiFTPIA (a GC life sim ala Animal Crossing which, stupidly, never made it out in the Western markets...friggin' NoA :mad:). He also designed one of my favorite Dreamcast games L.O.L (Lack of Love) (which, also, stupidly was never released in Western markets...see a pattern? :rolleyes:).

But what intrigued me about the team was the composer: Kenji Eno. Eno was the head at Warp, and he was behind games like D, D2, Enemy Zero, and one game called Real Sound that apparently didn't have any graphics at all...just sound. I've always thought him one of the misunderstood geniuses of game design. A little to heavy on the CGI animated cinematics to convey story, but still really gifted in broadening gameplay design. Enemy Zero had parts where the main character couldn't see, and you actually played those parts having to use your EARS to avoid the aliens/monsters. No other game did that at the time, and I can't think of many that do it now.

Both those guys together is just full of win. Now, if they added Yoot Saito to the mix and Suda51 that'd be the wackiest friggin' dev team ever.

14. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm glad I saw this thread. This is a really good game.

To be honest, when they bragged about it being a hit in Japan it made me not look at it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Japanese, but their culture and ours don't really blend too well sometimes and I assumed the game wouldn't be something I would like. I was completely wrong though.

I definitely recommend this, especially for the price.

15. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Agreed this is a very well made game.

16. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    I haven't played version 2, but the first one, man is it polished.

I think the menus etc on Newtonica are the very best I've seen on the device. The way you can push the letters around is super slick. SUPER slick.

17. gunslinger

gunslinger Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Very nice game. It needs more advertising.