Newb question on timing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CodeCritical, Oct 18, 2010.

1. CodeCritical

CodeCritical Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Hey there everyone!

I'm hoping someone with some experience can help us out. We're trying to figure out the timeline of submittal to the app store and then sending out press releases.

It seems that people submit press releases prior to launch, but with a "release date" attached. At what point in the app store process are you given a launch date? Or is it that you usually determine your own launch date and use that one on the press releases.

Also, what build do you send the review sites? Your own or does the app store send you some sort of link that you can send out prior to launch?

I sincerely apologize if this is all basic stuff, but I am stymied.

2. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    When you submit an app to Apple you can generally expect a review time of about 7-14 days. If something goes wrong and you are rejected then that waiting period starts all over again. You can specify a release date but only if your app is approved prior to the date you set.

So if you want to send out press releases with a specific date and your app is not approved or even submitted yet, then I would recommend submitting for approval at least one month prior to the release date you would like to have. Then in iTunes connect when you submit your app you can choose that specific date for release.

3. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Oh missed that part about the build, if the app is approved you can send the review site a promo code, you get 50 with each version of the app. That will allow them to download the app, but only if it is the "Ready for Sale" state (which means it has been approved by Apple)

You can also send an ad-hoc build, but that requires sending the provisioning file along with it and having them load it through iTunes. I probably wouldn't just send that blindly, rather offer it in your review request and if the review site is interested you can arrange to get the ad-hoc build to them.

4. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    That is SO helpful!! One quick question, do you get the "ready for sale" build prior to going live?

5. CodeCritical

Sep 27, 2010
    One other question .... is there a rule of thumb on submitting for review? Before release, after release?

6. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Ready for sale means it can be downloaded from the app store, I haven't actually confirmed this myself, but others have said the promo codes will work to download from the app store even if you haven't released it yet, so I think yes you can download from the app store before it is live.

There isn't a real rule of thumb, but one of the most important parts of your app's success is the first few days. Sometimes the new release lists can be the most exposure your app will ever have. So if you can generate buzz about your app prior to it's release then you have a much higher chance of success. So getting good reviews prior to release would be a good way to start generating buzz. If people are really wanting your app and waiting for it to be released then that initial surge of downloads can really boost your rankings in the charts and then you get this snowball effect where more and more people see your app as it moves up the charts.

7. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Before release for sure. You want to build as much interest in your app as possible for that initial sale spike.

You also get to call it a "PREVIEW" instead of a review, which seemed to catch reviewers attention better in my experience.