New Year's Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Anonomation, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#1 Anonomation, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    EDIT:

My resolution is finally finish all the games I have before purchasing more, I have a huge list of mobile and console games that I have that I haven't even gotten halfway through.

I never fulfill my resolutions so who knows.

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #2 Rubicon, Jan 2, 2015
    It didn't seem very friendly to me. Nor is there anything inherently wrong with iap. Having a blanket ban on that is like having a blanket ban on purple.

(btw, even though this is the internet where people can't seem to respond mildly to anything, my post was far from "hateful". That would've been your original if anything.)

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I thought your double negative covered you. My resolution from an iOS is to not buy a single game. My backlog is complaining about it's backlog. I've actually started 2015 with Rubicon's Great Little War Game 2 and I'm enjoying it immensely. After that I may go alphabetic.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    People need to lighten up.

Mine would be to get back into my music and guitar, have a crack at some furniture making and generally have a good year.

5. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    ha - good one - I got an amp for my guitar for Christmas and have just picked it up again after nearly twenty years. Northern Rock On.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    That picking it up again can be frustrating but worthwhile, surprising what you remember but you need to get your hands fluid again. Good luck with it and hope you enjoy __b

7. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Bless you, thanks. Go in reverse order and you'll get to our Zombies game :)

8. Anonomation

#8 Anonomation, Jan 3, 2015
    Deleted Post

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Think I've finally learned after all these years to not make any New Years' Resolutions at all 'cause one way or another I end up breaking 'em! Always good to have goals, though. This year I plan on selling my house, (downsizing a bit) and buying another one, paying it off totally with cash, and being able to live on easy street for the rest of my days! Gonna be sweet!

10. Anonomation

True, never really kept true to a resolution. I usually end up breaking hem after about 2 to 3 months.

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #11 Rubicon, Jan 3, 2015
    It's more a case of disliking blanket opinions stated like they're inviolate facts of life, especially when the opposite is closer to the mark. Perhaps you'd care to back up your opinion with some actual facts or statistics?

Most of our games have iap in them for example, and they sell almost as well as the original downloads. It seems that almost ALL of our customers, hardcore gamers for the most part, love that they can get additional content cheaply when the main game has run out. And without having to pay more at the start so they can evaluate the game for a cheaper price. In other words, these iaps are benefiting mobile gaming.

Even in the world of consumable iap's, the very worst "offenders" are not "ruining mobile gaming". Those games wouldn't be top of the top-grossing charts if nobody wanted to spend that way. Whatever psychological claptrap you choose to believe, a game cannot make a person spend money against their will. And if you don't like them, feel free to just ignore them like I do. They're certainly not getting in your way as you're clearly not their target audience. If the very existence of these things is runing mobile games for you, then state that they're ruining it for you. But if you want anyone to care, you should explain why.

If you want to know what's ruining mobile gaming for everyone, it's a self-entitled attitude that games should cost either nothing or practically nothing, driving developers away to other formats. Or into making tiny games, or delving into other monetisation strategies, because they just can't earn a living in the market conditions people like yourself seem to expect.

Despite many accolades and awards for our war games, our single biggest earning title is an advert-ridden free version of a simple dice game on the Android platform. It out-earns all of our war games by a factor of 10, mainly because we can't charge what our war games are worth and still sell them in adequate amounts. So this year, instead of making more deep and meaningful games that people like yourself presumably would like, we'll have to be writing time-wasters for the mass market because it's that or nothing.

Maybe if you want to help mobile gaming out, stop whining about things you've not thought through properly and start banging the drum to get people actually buying the bloody games.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Add Game Centre and you're on. I have bought all your games including the tripler on Combat Monsters so plan to get to them in 2015. Great Little War Game 2 seemed like the best place to start properly as the difficulty curve for a mobile gamers seems spot on so far.
    Cheers, September - you too and cheers Anonomotion for starting the thread. I do tend to buy doublers and DLC IAP if I like a game, it's the consumable stuff I'm not a fan of.
    A great 2015 to all.

13. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We didn't add gamecentre because there's not enough room in the scoring. Practically everybody will have the same number, somewhere between 15 & 25.

14. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    yep - just had a couple of games. Got 20 or so. With a simple upgrade and weapon store it could be quite a nice hi-scorer. I just bought my boys a kit kat chunky each for a total of £1.32 so I can safely say my 69p for your game was well spent. I'll aim for a score of 25 later.

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Cool beans. :)

We had intended to thrash this thing out and make a much bigger game out of it if demand was there, but sadly it's not. Games this small need a bit of the "flappy bird" factor to get started and we missed that dice roll. Shame really as we had a blast making it.

16. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    This year I decided to make resolutions I can have fun trying to keep and that will make me happy. Usually I set myself stupid targets and feel like shit by the end of jan when I've failed them all.

So my game related ones are

I'm gonna double my untried and unfinished games backlog.
    I'm gonna increase my playing time. (Across ios, Xbox, playstation,wii and PC)
    I'm going to try to complete some of my many half finished games. I'd like to say one a week but it'll prob be one a month. If I don't succeed it helps me with resolution number 1 so win win.
    And finally, I'm going to kick Andys arse at at least one game in 2015 haha.

I did have to watch Indie Game the movie but I've struck that off as I've watched it yesterday. Was interesting btw.

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Gaming related New Years resolutions?

1: never to download a free/freemium game
    2: stop buying games I know I'll never even play for more than 1-2 hrs
    3: stop buying games on ios
    4: work out how to configure dosbox turbo with certain games
    5: never buy another jrpg